My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 pm
Reputation: 420
United States of America

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by GMJS-CEO »

stupid-barang wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm The censorship on this forum is just about right by Cambodian standards. Derogatory speculation, hahaha ha.

Really? Who the fuck cares, she sounds like a typical whore.
She sounds like a typical whore? Relax

And why post “who cares” when by your action of posting it is evident that you do.
User avatar
stupid-barang
Expatriate
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 am
Reputation: 17

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by stupid-barang »

Trying to be a good expat I self edited and now you put me out. I don't really care, it's just that I was in a former position that rubbed elbows with the 'elite' and it seems they all have the same m.o., we could exchange 'who cares' with 'get a fucking clue'.

Come we know the drill. If he was giving her money, she would not have to take these type of jobs. Who let's their girl go spend the night with random people. Even if it was for $500 we know the deal.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4429
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2604
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

She is going to get a million different variations of all these scenarios.
And if she is bright and attractive, even "good guys" will try their damdest.
It might be an idea for you both to really talk this thru. I doubt if it is going to be just a minor issue,

Easiest way is to set some really safe, professional limits., include them as part of the written induction material - and stick to them strictly
Coffee and dinners are going to leave lots of wriggle room for a sleazebag. If he knows exactly where he stands and that she is professional, he is less likely to try it on. Firm limits make it easier for both parties.

Any chance of injecting a third, or more, person into the equation - especially in the evenings?

(her mother? chuckle)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11531
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2651
Tokelau

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by Anchor Moy »

stupid-barang wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm The censorship on this forum is just about right by Cambodian standards. Derogatory speculation, hahaha ha.

Really? Who the fuck cares, she sounds like a typical whore.
:BangHead: You must have some great relationships with women.
Equinix
Expatriate
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 3:20 pm
Reputation: 114

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by Equinix »


Thanks everyone for their input...
SternAAlbifrons wrote:She is going to get a million different variations of all these scenarios.
And if she is bright and attractive, even "good guys" will try their damdest.
It might be an idea for you both to really talk this thru. I doubt if it is going to be just a minor issue,

Easiest way is to set some really safe, professional limits., include them as part of the written induction material - and stick to them strictly
Coffee and dinners are going to leave lots of wriggle room for a sleazebag. If he knows exactly where he stands and that she is professional, he is less likely to try it on. Firm limits make it easier for both parties.

Any chance of injecting a third, or more, person into the equation - especially in the evenings?

(her mother? chuckle)
I'll do this.. I think having a "curfew" is appropriate. And if you are done with your clients don't need to meet them again. Just tell them you are busy...
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Reputation: 822
Marshall Islands

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by IraHayes »

Approaching this from another angle....
I can see how both S1 and S2 would help get her some great reviews as a new guide. Done with professional detachment it could work well.
S3.. no way would that ever be acceptable .. ever.
Equinix
Expatriate
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 3:20 pm
Reputation: 114

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by Equinix »

IraHayes wrote:Approaching this from another angle....
I can see how both S1 and S2 would help get her some great reviews as a new guide. Done with professional detachment it could work well.
S3.. no way would that ever be acceptable .. ever.
Sure. But incase of #1
Since it's already "late" she could pick him up and drop him off at the hotel and tell him she'll see him in the morning around breakfast to go over the itinerary.

And incase of #2
The client had a good day and the day he left he asked her for a coffee. He had a great day already and wouldn't take offense if she says she is busy with work and still give a great review based on the first day.
orussey98
Expatriate
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 am
Reputation: 16
Cambodia

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by orussey98 »

Some prostitutes use the "tour guide" thing in here or Vietnam to attract customers (not for a tour)

So maybe some guys coming in here think "tour guide" = prostitute
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4429
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2604
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I get Ira's point ^^ people do like some informal time with a guide if they get on well.

Maybe offer a "dinner or drink with the family" option for these occasions?
Or something else super-safe with other people.
Personally, i would set a strict; NO one-on-one, tete et tete's after dark. At all.
Easier for everybody, including your own peace of mind.

I hope you can make it work, she sounds like a bright go-getting young woman. Good find.
Interesting job and she could make good money. Best of luck.
User avatar
Freightdog
Expatriate
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am
Reputation: 781
Ireland

Re: My girlfriend is a tourguide.

Post by Freightdog »

To me it sounds like she’s maybe trying too hard to build a good reputation as a tour guide, and some reasoned thinking and discussion is in order.

To those who simply want to label any Khmer female, or any female for that matter, in such negative tones- isn’t it time that a different record was played, or maybe just move on?
Seriously, the school boy rationale that some folk let guide them through life beggars belief. I suspect you’re the same folk who think that a women who won’t have sex on a first date is frigid, that any woman who won’t shag you is a lesbian, and any that dumped you are whores.

To the OP- far too many replies that you’ll get on here are just as likely to ruin your relationship if you give them too much credit as any improper conduct on her part.
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests