Laws on recording a traffic stop?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Laws on recording a traffic stop?

Post by lostjeremy »

The family was stopped today illegally... accused of running a red light...my video showed otherwise. I gave the officers my car id copy, drivers license and insurance so they werent able to try and scam me out of anything else but still demanded 50,000 Riel. Me and the wife nicely told them it's not gonna happen unless you take us to the judge. Needless to say they let us go without collecting 100 Riel but since I was video recording everything they said they could take us all to jail right then for recording, took my phone, deleted the video... although they didn't delete it out of the trash file or Google photos backup so I still have it.

Is it truly an arrestable offense to video the officers during a traffic stop?

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laws on recording a traffic stop?

Post by AndyKK »

illegally...or not in your words, but you held the evidence that you was not at fault. I don't know the answer to your question, the law has you know takes it's own course. Plenty of videos shown here and other media outlets. Good thing you didn't have to pay. :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

You might find that in the KoW an arrestable offense is whatever the coppers want it to be......
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Cops 101
All cops everywhere reeeally hate being photographed.
Don't rely on the law for protection.

Not saying don't do it, we should.
- but always be prepared for an totally unreasonable response.
Getting arrested and getting a smashed camera may well happen regardless of the law.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Does the video show their faces or anything else which could identify them. If so, post it here or on facebook.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

I've been pulled over on the moto several times throughout the years but this is the first time in the car. Made it easier to start recording so never had this issue before. Anyways I lost no money and the cops seemed embarrassed in front of the line of other people they pulled over so I'm satisfied with the outcome. Lesson is do not back down and cave in to their nonsense. Remember the law says they have to write a ticket for you to go pay, they are not supposed to collect money on the street even though you see them doing it all the time.
My video does show the faces of 2 of the cops as well as mine and the wife's though. I have still not received a definite answer on whether or not it's illegal by the books/prakas to film a traffic stop so I won't be posting it.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Cops are filmed and posted on Facebook daily, so I wouldn't believe a cop whose just attempted to extort you, on tape.

My dashcam is running all the time. I've been pulled over once since I installed it 2yrs ago, they waved me on the moment the saw the camera.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

lostjeremy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:08 pm I've been pulled over on the moto several times throughout the years but this is the first time in the car. Made it easier to start recording so never had this issue before. Anyways I lost no money and the cops seemed embarrassed in front of the line of other people they pulled over so I'm satisfied with the outcome. Lesson is do not back down and cave in to their nonsense. Remember the law says they have to write a ticket for you to go pay, they are not supposed to collect money on the street even though you see them doing it all the time.
My video does show the faces of 2 of the cops as well as mine and the wife's though. I have still not received a definite answer on whether or not it's illegal by the books/prakas to film a traffic stop so I won't be posting it.
The video could easily be edited so it doesn't show your face or your wife's, and posted on facebook, or youtube.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bring it to City Hall, justice will be served.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

I remember a law being talked about around the time of the 2013 election. No photos or film allowed of armed forces (which probably includes traffic cops, armed or not). Maybe it was all public officials.

They don't want to end up in the public eye, when they're doing the dodgy. You proved your case, no fine, enough said. Not a perfect system, but this is it for now. The introduction (attempted, at least) of the no cash/receipt system is a good step forward. Technology is also driving this for the better.

I think it is technically illegal. I'll look for the law tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic