Tympanoplasty (ear drum) surgery in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JacintaAyres
Tourist
Australia

Tympanoplasty (ear drum) surgery in PP

Post by JacintaAyres »

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions of where to get a tympanoplasty (hole in ear drum repair) surgery in Phnom Penh. I'm not certain my insurance will cover it, so if you know approximate prices it would be helpful too. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bob.fortin
BANNED

Re: Tympanoplasty (ear drum) surgery in PP

Post by bob.fortin »

Do not let a Cambodian do this unless you want to be deaf. Go to Thailand or Vietnam.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Sorry don't have any contacts in this area now and my info might be a bit out of date. However you could try Sen Sok International University Hospital. Prof. Matela Ivan MD, PhD a Russian doctor performs Tympanoplasty (or did) as far as I am aware. Call 0967860786 for details.

Cho Ray Phnom Penh Hospital do Tympanoplasty operation for $321 to give you an idea of price http://www.chorayphnompenhhospital.com. ... 47&lang=en

Just FYI:
There was a training program held in this area a while back: Implementation and results of a surgical training programme for chronic suppurative otitis media in Cambodia. Smith AKK, Sokdavy T, Sothea C, Pastrana MKR, Ali RF, Huins CT, Clark MPA, Gollogly JG, Bhutta MF. J Laryngol Otol. 2018 Aug;132(8):711-717.

BACKGROUND:
Chronic suppurative otitis media is a massive public health problem in numerous low- and middle-income countries. Unfortunately, few low- and middle-income countries can offer surgical therapy.

METHODS:
A six-month long programme in Cambodia focused on training local surgeons in type I tympanoplasty was instigated. Qualitative educational and quantitative surgical outcomes were evaluated in the 12 months following programme completion. A four-month long training programme in mastoidectomy and homograft ossiculoplasty was subsequently implemented, and the preliminary surgical and educational outcomes were reported.

RESULTS:
A total of 124 patients underwent tympanoplasty by the locally trained surgeons. Tympanic membrane closure at six weeks post-operation was 88.5 per cent. Pure tone audiometry at three months showed that 80.9 per cent of patients had improved hearing, with a mean gain of 17.1 dB. The trained surgeons reported high confidence in performing tympanoplasty. Early outcomes suggest the local surgeons can perform mastoidectomy and ossiculoplasty as safely as overseas-trained surgeons, with reported surgeon confidence reflecting these positive outcomes.

CONCLUSION:
The training programme has demonstrated success, as measured by surgeon confidence and operative outcomes. This approach can be emulated in other settings to help combat the global burden of chronic suppurative otitis media.
Last edited by Kuroneko on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Kuroneko, your medical contributions to this forum are invaluable.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
JacintaAyres
Tourist
Australia

Post by JacintaAyres »

Thank you! Do you know if Cho Ray have a good reputation for their healthcare?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

For the benefit of current and future readers on this topic, I should like to add and update the following information from a current case example of a Cambodian female patient living in the "sticks" some 30 km from Siem Reap. Also, far too many expats are not aware of organizations such as All Ears Cambodia nor the excellent work the do for Cambodians with "ear and hearing problems" or how to contact them; so it is appropriate to raise their profile and visibility on a forum such as this.

Dear Mr. OML,

RE: Ms Chin XXX XXX – AEC Siem Reap (Pt. No: XXX)

Thank you very much for getting back in touch and updating me on matters.

She still has the two options: Doing nothing (not having surgery) although, in the presence of a perforation that is too large to heal by itself, she will be prone to recurrent ear infections in the future or she can opt for reconstructive surgery (surgical repair of the eardrum).

A referral letter to Preah Ang Duong Hospital should not be necessary. She would be seen in the ENT Outpatients Department Clinic at which time her condition would be diagnosed and options for treatment explained. Assuming that the ENT physician there agrees with AEC’s diagnosis then the necessary steps taken for the surgical option would be outlined and Ms. Chin XXX could make her decision as to whether she would like to go ahead.

Please bear in mind that there are one or two foreign ENT doctors in Phnom Penh (in private practice) should she prefer to get an alternative professional opinion before making a decision about surgery. They include:

Dr. Isabelle de Gaudemar (Royal Phnom Penh Hospital and Advance European Medical Centre) (French national)

Professor Ivan Matela (Sen Sok International University Hospital) (Russian national)

Dr. Lucy Haurisa (Embassy Medical Clinic/Raffles Medical Clinic) (Filipino national)

Please also note that, as far as I understand (although I may be wrong), the first two of these perform this type of middle ear surgery at their respective locations.

Mr. OML , I hope this proves of help.

Yours Sincerely

Glyn Vaughan
Director - All Ears Cambodia
Program Manager – All Ears DPR Korea
Founder and Trustee – All Ears International
T: +855-(0)12-630175
[email protected]
[email protected]

I trust others may find this information of assistance.

OML