Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Post by Kammekor »

beaker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:59 pm
beaker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:20 pm
JerryCan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:46 am

I am no expert on solar panels, but from what I think a solar panel installation connected to the Cambodian grid (with powercuts and voltages ranging anywhere between 120-260 V) won't last long. Especially the batteries will be worn out in no time.
Solar panels wouldn't cover "average" power demands for any length of time, neither would a bank of batteries be of much use outside of a an hour or two unless you start going big capacity, which is usually cost prohibitive.
can be done best to use 12 stuff where you can and gas for refrig/freezer ;
...currently have eight 225watt panels on my roof, wired 4 in series and in parallel with the other string of 4. These give me the energy to power my lights, automation pc, refrigerator, dog feeder, WiFi, small appliances and of course that wonderful air conditioning unit.....My battery of choice is the Lifepo4 chemistry. Long life, zero toxicity, enviromentally friendly, high energy density and best of all completely safe (won't blow up! Lol)....system is 25.6v and uses 16 batteries in parallel.....The only option for solar powered air conditioning is to use an inverter air conditioning unit. This is the most energy efficient type in the industry and it is simply amazing.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Solar- ... ning-unit/
Interesting!

Are you using this system in Cambodia, or another dusty area? If yes, how do you deal with the dust covering the solar panels over time reducing the amount of energy received?
I have lived off the grid for 40 years but ironically when I moved here 11 years ago was the first residence I've had with grid power. This system is not mine. I have had other solar systems and I know his system is a good one.
But you don't have any issues with dust covering up the panels? Every roof here is covered with 1-2 mm red dust right now.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Read an announcement from HE that people better buy generators and rely on those temporarily. Sounds like things may not be looking up anytime soon.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 am Read an announcement from HE that people better buy generators and rely on those temporarily. Sounds like things may not be looking up anytime soon.
The same happened in the Northeast about 7 years ago when the new line from Vietnam was being build and power shortages of 12-18 hours every day were common for two months.

Prices of generators went through the roof.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/camb ... pm-146690/

They promised loads of mW from the dam, but in reality..... So now they are 400 mW short which is the max. capacity of the new dam.

Going to be a long dry season this way....
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

Chamboy wrote:
Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:52 am
Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 am "Yeah, that's a big problem here too. Maybe have one drilled....."

I don't see lowering the water table as a socially acceptable solution.
In that case, fill up the well with soil....

Call off the backhoe and the shovel brigade. Just had a heavy downpour for about thirty minutes. Short duration I know, but I'll take what the aquagods see fit to piss down.
Have you seen the Aquaman movie?
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

Re: Power outages - help from Turkey on the Horizon

http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 24-35.html
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Can anyone translate?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

March 19, 2019
EDC reduces daytime energy supply to offset shortage
Electricité du Cambodge yesterday issued a statement saying that due to power shortages, it has reduced the supply of electricity in the Kingdom during the day in order to ensure supply at night.

In the statement, EDC said it had contacted neighbouring countries in order to provide more electricity. It said that Thailand agreed to supply 80 megawatts, Laos 10 megawatts, while Vietnam refused due to its own energy supply issues in its southern provinces.

“We are still lacking 13 percent of energy,” the statement noted. “Because of this, the EDC has reduced the supply of electricity until the rain season comes.”

“We are alternating locations that receive electricity during the day because people need electricity the most at night,” it added. “We are trying our best to deploy our own generators to supply electricity during the day at industrial areas, hospitals, water facilities, embassies and government institutions.”

Prime Minister HE yesterday renewed a call for the public and government institutions to reduce usage, noting that the Kingdom is currently facing a shortage of 400 megawatts of electricity due to a lack of water to power electric dams.

“I am appealing for understanding from our people because this issue is related to climate change,” Mr HE said. “Climate change has caused some areas to lack water and electricity.”

“Our big problem is that all hydropower dams use turbines to produce electricity,” he added. “Due to water drying out, we lack about 400 megawatts.”

He said that people should have patience when it comes to shortages of electricity.

“I appeal to our people to have patience during this hard time,” Mr HE said. “However, this issue will not affect industrial areas.”

“Please reduce the use of electricity and water,” he added. “It is not something we can control. We can solve this by using generators as we had in the past.”

According to the Mines and Energy Ministry, Cambodia produced 2,650 megawatts of electricity last year, of which 1,329 megawatts, or 50 percent, came from hydroelectric dams.

EDC on Friday issued a statement notifying the public that because of the extremely hot weather, the demand for electricity has gone up leading to disruptions in power supply.

EDC said it is scheduling power cuts either in the mornings or afternoons for six hours daily throughout the country.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50588110/e ... -shortage/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

The pertinent information is that supply is expected to be cut from 06:00-12:00 or 12:00-18:00, on alternating days, depending on the area
ie some areas have morning cuts on odd dates, and afternoon cuts on even, other areas vice versa

monstra mihi bona!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:45 pm The pertinent information is that supply is expected to be cut from 06:00-12:00 or 12:00-18:00, on alternating days, depending on the area
ie some areas have morning cuts on odd dates, and afternoon cuts on even, other areas vice versa
That's exactly how it was explained to me.

And how long is this to continue? Two months (they replied).

:cry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic