Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Post by joelightcloud »

Ravensnest wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm
I don't believe many expats on this forum can read Khmai.... I certainly cannot
It's Khmer....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Are these rotating power cuts going to be Phnom Penh wide? All districts?

Are they going to be planned and warned of in advance or will they just throw the switch when they feel like it? If it's the former where can you find notification of the districts to be cut and when?

How long does frozen food stay frozen in the freezer with no power?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm I've been thinking for a few weeks now that I can't remember the last time it rained. I've been waiting for some kind of water shortage announcement - surely no country can sustain itself with not a drop of rain for a good five or six months. It didn't occur to me that it would effect the electricity supply, but it makes sense.

I've only been here a couple of years but I don't remember the dry season lasting this long last year?
Cambodia has been able to live with a dry season for ages, that by itself is not the problem. This dry season has not been particularly dry as well (many places still had some rain in January which used to be uncommon, but is more common now).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DaveG wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am Maybe someone could explain this one for me,

There are many things I don't understand in this country such as traffic , food hygiene etc, but one of the biggest is the power cut thing due to lack of electricity, everyday is roasting and sunny, why the fuck doesn't every building in this country have solar panels on the roofs, is there a law against it ?, it would however interfere with the profit margin of the power companies but it seems like perfect sense, Maybe there is a logical answer that someone could enlighten me on.
I am no expert on solar panels, but from what I think a solar panel installation connected to the Cambodian grid (with powercuts and voltages ranging anywhere between 120-260 V) won't last long. Especially the batteries will be worn out in no time.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

We're roasting here in Kampong Cham. As time into dry season progresses the chances of a wrong season rain (plian khai kos) diminish considerably.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 am We're roasting here in Kampong Cham. As time into dry season progresses the chances of a wrong season rain (plian khai kos) diminish considerably.
A decent rainshower would clear the air (hell, much appreciated. Air quality is horrible in many places this month), and the temperature would drop for maybe a day, but in the big scheme of (electrical power) things not much will change with it.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:00 am
Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 am We're roasting here in Kampong Cham. As time into dry season progresses the chances of a wrong season rain (plian khai kos) diminish considerably.
A decent rainshower would clear the air (hell, much appreciated. Air quality is horrible in many places this month), and the temperature would drop for maybe a day, but in the big scheme of (electrical power) things not much will change with it.
Yeah well in the shorter scheme of things it would help fill my almost dry well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chamboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:00 am
Yeah well in the shorter scheme of things it would help fill my almost dry well.
Yeah, that's a big problem here too. Maybe have one drilled.....
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

"Yeah, that's a big problem here too. Maybe have one drilled....."

I don't see lowering the water table as a socially acceptable solution.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Russian market area (near pp sportclub) has been out of power since 6:30am today.

Fck it's hot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic