Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:50 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm I don't believe many expats on this forum can read Khmai.... I certainly cannot
You are right, but quite a few can read Khmer.
Someone on the internet types 'Khmai'

JM:

rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

Battambang having power cuts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Koh Kong is also affected. On 14 March 2019 the Department of Mines and Energy in Koh Kong issued a notice to Koh Kong citizens warning them of rotating power cuts in the province.
It appears that the local hydro electric dams which usually supply the area are suffering from the drought, and that there is currently not enough water to supply the necessary amounts of electricity to everyone.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

What happens in all the new high-rises? I mean do they have enough generators to keep the lifts working or are some people stuck with walking dozens of floors up n down?
Just wondering :wave:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

lucathenomad wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:43 pm I mean do they have enough generators to keep the lifts working
Fuck man, that would be one of my worst nightmares.

Getting trapped in a blacked out, Chinese made death trap, dangling by a corroded, unmaintained cable, 14 stories above certain death.

Thanks for the thought bro.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

EDC's explanation to me although the below reply did not address my actual question to them.......

Electricite Du Cambodge would like to inform that the disruption of power supply at the selected locations in Phnom Penh is caused by:
-The abnormally hot weather is affecting the increase of power consumption, resulting in high demand of consumption.
-In this-year dry season, the temperature has significantly increased, leading to decline of water level in reservoir and the inadequate amount of water is unable to operate the hydro-power station, which is one of the most reliable sources to generate more efficient electricity.
-The investment on every. aspect of development sectors is becoming fast paced; therefore, the power demand is exceeding our current demand.
For these reasons, we sincerely apologize for causing inconveniences and highly appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've been thinking for a few weeks now that I can't remember the last time it rained. I've been waiting for some kind of water shortage announcement - surely no country can sustain itself with not a drop of rain for a good five or six months. It didn't occur to me that it would effect the electricity supply, but it makes sense.

I've only been here a couple of years but I don't remember the dry season lasting this long last year?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't remember a period this long without any rain in over 10 years. There have been plenty of dry periods but there always seemed to be some rare showers that would break it up a bit. I believe there is a forecast for rain tonight.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

xandreu wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm I've been thinking for a few weeks now that I can't remember the last time it rained. I've been waiting for some kind of water shortage announcement - surely no country can sustain itself with not a drop of rain for a good five or six months. It didn't occur to me that it would effect the electricity supply, but it makes sense.

I've only been here a couple of years but I don't remember the dry season lasting this long last year?

There will never be a shortage of water in PP.

I was down on riverside tonight and took a pic to prove that there is still plenty of water there.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Maybe someone could explain this one for me,

There are many things I don't understand in this country such as traffic , food hygiene etc, but one of the biggest is the power cut thing due to lack of electricity, everyday is roasting and sunny, why the fuck doesn't every building in this country have solar panels on the roofs, is there a law against it ?, it would however interfere with the profit margin of the power companies but it seems like perfect sense, Maybe there is a logical answer that someone could enlighten me on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic