How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 pm
explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:44 pm It is up to everyone to decide for themselves how they go about learning Khmer.
For Thai I would absolutely say you should learn one phonetic system well and use that for the first year(s) while you learn the alphabet.

I will definitely use phonetic for Khmer while I explore the alphabet. There doesn't seem to be a standard.

Number one for me is to get "fluency" in some limited environments, like the noodle shop and the hotel reception. And then build from there.

I know many think differently but I believe it is enough to start with a level of pronounciation that is not perfect but locals can understand without problem.

You will improve pronounciation as you get more and more fluency and can communicate with locals. Starting with very high demands on pronounciation holds you back, I strongly believe.

"Everything I can say, I can pronounce perfectly and write in Khmer" will mean you can not say very much the first year, imho.
It is good to see people putting in the effort to learn Khmer. You have a different experience when you can speak the language.

The most commonly used phonetic writing for Khmer comes from the French. If you know how to pronounce it the French way, it may be reasonable, but not 100% correct. If you pronounce those letters as they sound in English, your pronunciation may be bad. For example, they use ch for the j sound, and chh for the ch sound. If you know that, and pronounce it accordingly you will be ahead.

After reading posts on this forum for some time, I suspect some people use the French writing, pronounce it the English way, and speak Khmer badly.

There are some sounds in Khmer you cant distinguish phonetically. Focus on how Cambodians say it, more than how it is spelt phonetically.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 am
The most commonly used phonetic writing for Khmer comes from the French. If you know how to pronounce it the French way, it may be reasonable, but not 100% correct.
:please:

NO

Ask any person speaking French without the ability to speak Khmer to pronounce a random Romanized Khmer sentence and it's just bubbly-bubbly-bla and nothing like Khmer.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:05 pm Ask any person speaking French without the ability to speak Khmer to pronounce a random Romanized Khmer sentence and it's just bubbly-bubbly-bla and nothing like Khmer.
If a person speaking English does it, it is even worse.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:54 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:05 pm Ask any person speaking French without the ability to speak Khmer to pronounce a random Romanized Khmer sentence and it's just bubbly-bubbly-bla and nothing like Khmer.
If a person speaking English does it, it is even worse.
And aliens from mars probable even worse.
explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 am The most commonly used phonetic writing for Khmer comes from the French. If you know how to pronounce it the French way, it may be reasonable, but not 100% correct
But your statement here is simply not true. Try it yourself.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have always recommended that people learn the Khmer alphabet fairly early on. Other people have advised not to in the early stages. People choosing not to learn the Khmer alphabet, should realize that the phonetic writing is not an accurate guide to pronunciation, and should focus on how Cambodians pronounce the words.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 am
explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am you should ask Explorer for the number of some uni students.
I have introduced foreigners to my Cambodian friends. But only people I know, who have a decent attitude.

I actually introduced university students to a foreigner recently so they could teach him English.

I do not give details over the internet to people I dont know.

Most Cambodians are friendly. It is easy to make friends with them.
Great ethics in action. I nearly passed the phone number of one of my friend on to do some written translations, but I will give it second thoughts.
I take this approach because they are single girls. If it was a man, or a married person, I would not be so concerned.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 pm I have always recommended that people learn the Khmer alphabet fairly early on. Other people have advised not to in the early stages. People choosing not to learn the Khmer alphabet, should realize that the phonetic writing is not an accurate guide to pronunciation, and should focus on how Cambodians pronounce the words.
I don't know Khmer so I am just asking. Is there really a fail-safe way to go from Khmer script to pronounciation? I.e at least 99% of the words can be read correctly.

My guess is, for example in English it would be impossible. There are no rules to find out how to pronounce "enough", "thought", "island" etc etc

I just tried to learn "garlic" from Google translate. The phonetic came out completely unexpected. But I can't read the Khmer script.

Can anyone read this and get a proper pronounciation?
ខ្ទឹមស
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kps wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 pm I have always recommended that people learn the Khmer alphabet fairly early on. Other people have advised not to in the early stages. People choosing not to learn the Khmer alphabet, should realize that the phonetic writing is not an accurate guide to pronunciation, and should focus on how Cambodians pronounce the words.
I don't know Khmer so I am just asking. Is there really a fail-safe way to go from Khmer script to pronounciation? I.e at least 99% of the words can be read correctly.

My guess is, for example in English it would be impossible. There are no rules to find out how to pronounce "enough", "thought", "island" etc etc

I just tried to learn "garlic" from Google translate. The phonetic came out completely unexpected. But I can't read the Khmer script.

ខ្ទឹមស
I would say k'tim. The i as in the English word is.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

What is you are actually saying? The advice to focus on how Cambodians pronounce the words is so obvious it seems silly to even mention it. When we learn English, for example, we focus on how Germans pronounce it?

You are confusing yourself and others by thinking there's a relation between French and Cambodian, there is none. You always have to focus on native speakers pronouncing when learning a language, for each and every language.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 pm
kps wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 pm

ខ្ទឹមស
I would say k'tim. The i as in the English word is.
What you say is "close" Google translate phonetic writing
khtoemos

But what the Khmer lady reading says is
doemsaa (oe diphtong)

completely different to my ears
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic