How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am you should ask Explorer for the number of some uni students.
I have introduced foreigners to my Cambodian friends. But only people I know, who have a decent attitude.

I actually introduced university students to a foreigner recently so they could teach him English.

I do not give details over the internet to people I dont know.

Most Cambodians are friendly. It is easy to make friends with them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Thanks, I appreciate many good hints here. I go slowly. I first try to memorize a few words that come from web pages and books. Listening to Google translate.

As questions arise and I need to improve my poor pronounciation I will look for opportunities to get assistance. I like to ask questions how to say things so I just want someone that knows a little English.
Last edited by kps on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am you should ask Explorer for the number of some uni students.
I have introduced foreigners to my Cambodian friends. But only people I know, who have a decent attitude.

I actually introduced university students to a foreigner recently so they could teach him English.

I do not give details over the internet to people I dont know.

Most Cambodians are friendly. It is easy to make friends with them.
Great ethics in action. I nearly passed the phone number of one of my friend on to do some written translations, but I will give it second thoughts.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kps wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:52 am Thanks, I appreciate many good hints here. I go slowly. I first try to memorize a few words that come from web pages and books. Listening to Google translate.

As questions arise and I need to improve my poor pronounciation I will look for opportunities to get assistance. I like to ask questions how to say things so I just want someone that knows a little English.
If you plan on staying longer, and you're serious, start learning the language asap. It's a major trap to start next week, or next month, or when you have the new visa, or when [fill in whichever reason].... And before you know it another year has passed by without learning the words 'pineapple' and 'too expensive'.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 am
kps wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:52 am Thanks, I appreciate many good hints here. I go slowly. I first try to memorize a few words that come from web pages and books. Listening to Google translate.

If you plan on staying longer, and you're serious, start learning the language asap. It's a major trap to start next week, or next month, or when you have the new visa, or when [fill in whichever reason].... And before you know it another year has passed by without learning the words 'pineapple' and 'too expensive'.
You are absolutely right on that. I made that mistake before but this time I try a little every day. I know the "manuá" and "t'lay na". My first goal is to manage the food stalls, fruit vendors and hotel :)

I just listened to "pineapple" in Google translate. It sounded different from what I was taught in the street. At least to my ears. My pronounciation needs improvement.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:41 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 am If you plan on staying longer, and you're serious, start learning the language asap. It's a major trap to start next week, or next month, or when you have the new visa, or when [fill in whichever reason].... And before you know it another year has passed by without learning the words 'pineapple' and 'too expensive'.
You are absolutely right on that. I made that mistake before but this time I try a little every day. I know the "manuá" and "t'lay na". My first goal is to manage the food stalls, fruit vendors and hotel :)

I just listened to "pineapple" in Google translate. It sounded different from what I was taught in the street. At least to my ears. My pronounciation needs improvement.
I would say:

pineapple: mnou

very expensive: tlai nu

nu means very, na means which or where.

I am Australian, and speak with an Australian accent. People with different accents may spell some words differently.

The key to get the pronunciation as good as you can. We all get some words wrong in the beginning, then need to relearn them. The more you get correct, the less you need to relearn.

It is good to learn the Khmer alphabet. When you can spell words, you understand how to pronounce them better.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:19 am
I would say:

mnou sounds like 'person'.

Pineapple sounds more like manure (sort of).
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am
explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:19 am
I would say:

mnou sounds like 'person'.

Pineapple sounds more like manure (sort of).
For people, I would say mnoo.

The key is to ask a Cambodian for pronunciation. You cant really explain the pronunciation with English letters, particularly when people have different English accents.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Mnoa.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Ive heard great stories from this exact situation. Yes they were taught Khmai but it certainly wasn't the words he thought he learned. Figured that out after a women completely freaked out, swore at him, then walked away. he "thought" he was asking for help in a market. His teacher, a female, thought it was hilarious.

So pony up and don't be cheap. If $12 or $15 is too much then pay half for 1 hour at a time for private.
I have been to one of the free Sunday classes at a cafe from an easy to use FB group. They were a good group of ppl.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic