Water tank on roof

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Water tank on roof

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Fairly cheap, go along Mao Tse Tung and buy there. 1000L lasts a while, even with showers and all that. I like the stainless ones as they're fairly easy to wash out. Also decide if you want standing on sitting.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

You ask about water tanks. Here is what I know from buying several for communal water security projects. Admittedly for Rainwater Capture, Storage and distribution in remote hamlets to ensure communal water security throughout the long dry season.

Blue tanks: Originally built in Thailand and imported to KH. Original TH tanks had good UV - Ultra Violet -stability with long life. BUT still needed to be put under cover and out of direct sunlight.
Blue tanks are now made by several companies in KH and are not to quite the same UV specification and longevity but represent good value providing 1) Can be placed under cover and protected from direct sunlight all of the time. 2) Never try to relocate an old Blue Water Tank as they do not like this.
Tanks can be made to your specification for location and number of threaded inlets/outlets.

Australian (Kangaroo Branded ) Grey/Brown moulded "plastic" water tanks. More expensive than the Blue Tanks but far more UV stable and can be placed outdoors in direct sunlight and will last many years under such conditions. But for optimal life protect from direct sunlight/UV.

Stainless Steel Tanks. A word of Caution. They come in types "A' and "B" and "C". The letters refer to the gauge/thickness of the stainless steel used in their construction. Obviously, the thinner the stainless steel, the less metal involved, and therefore the cheaper the tank. As you are buying a tank that is expected to last for very many years of trouble free life always go for the thicker gauge every time. In addition, any "ribbing" of the tank gives extra strength and stability. The additional cost is minimal all said and done and as for so many things in life the cheapest is often/most usually a false economy.

The last stainless steel tanks I bought were in September 2017 and prices were as follows at that time from the vendor mentioned below:

Vertical Tanks: 3,00 litres US$390 less $30 Discount. : 4,000 litres US$480 less $40 discount : 5,000 litres US$600 less $50 discount.
Horizontal Tanks: 3,000 litres US$420 less $30 discount. 4,000 litres $510 less $40 discount and 5,000 litres $640 less $50 discount.
Horixontal tanks and even verticle tanks may need to have a small stand made so as to elevate off ground/surface and give clearance for use of any flushing or other valve/pipework etc. In commune situations if base of tank is circa 80 cm to 1 metre above ground you will get a good standing water pressure for most usages. Keep this requirement in mind for measuring and planning purposes.

For ease of transportation I found the 3,500 litre stainless steel tank at $470 less $35 discount the most easily transported by vehicle and man handled (empty of course) in to position at site.

Fittings: Do not chose cheap fittings as another false economy and one that will let you down at some point. Be sure to fit each tank with a Drain Valve so that you can empty it from time to time because some sediment will collect and settle in the tank over time. This does not come from the main city water supply but the original poor connections to the city water supply and/or from the rain water capture and harvesting from roof and gutters.
I am a firm believer, based on experience that it is well worth paying US$19 for top quality Italian or British brass ball valves at $19 each. So you need two (2) for each tanks Drain Valve and Supply Valve. Also, if "nesting/grouping tanks" be sure to fit the same good quality valve to each tanl so that individual tanks can be isolated from the others.

Who was my supplier? Meng Hong Brothers Group trading under the outlet name of Mana, # 46, Mao Tse Tung, Chamkarmon Phnom Penh.

My contact person was: Mr Tang Lot, who has excellent spoken and written English and his HP is 011 222 445

I will now leave it to others to update this topic and information provided by me.

OML
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

5000l, $500 delivered to bumfuck.
Kangaroo brand, 2 years in the sun, no problemImage

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Delete "Bumfuck" insert Tbong Khmum if my memory serves me correctly.

OML
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Ot Mean Loi wrote:Delete "Bumfuck" insert Tbong Khmum if my memory serves me correctly.

OML
Try Osoam, Pursat.

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Thanks for the correction.
Photo is very reminiscent of Sre Siam in Tbong Khmum not far from Kg Cham.

OML
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Ot Mean Loi wrote:Thanks for the correction.
Photo is very reminiscent of Sre Siam in Tbong Khmum not far from Kg Cham.

OML
Haha, what a bizarre statement. It looks like anywhere/everywhere in Cambodia. There are a few trees and a small hill nearby. Could be literally anywhere, but nice to take a guess?

One more thing is that if I remember correctly, the A-B-C grades are counter-intuitive to us foreigners, as in C is the best. If I recall... Just ask for the prices and tap on them and you'll hear the difference.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Bizzare to you perhaps. Out of context perhaps. But not to me.
Without naming names, I have the feeling that I have been of service to Barang chgout some time ago in relation to a matter relating to restoration of vision.
But his response does not indicate any recognition of my prompt so it is me that is Barang Loplop. Not he barang chgout.
Postings/conversations are not always what they may appear to be.
The Barang Chgout I knew changed his HP number and we lost contact.
So there you have it.

I'm not exactly a tourist either although described that way on this forum. That's bizzare too.

OML
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

There are many imposters but only one true.Image

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Apologies Barang chgout but i now see that I have confused you with taabarang
That's the problem with all of these nom de plumes aka aliases.

Good Khmer sanskrit Sak Yant tats by the way.

Hello taabarang.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic