Prize Tax

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Prize Tax

Post by lostjeremy »

Familys neighbor pulled a ring on a RedBull and got a moto but todays a holiday so he hasn't done anything with it yet so Im just curious.... When you win a moto or truck from these is it like in the US where you have to pay tax on it? Or the sales tax or import duty tax before they hand over the keys?

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Prize Tax

Post by Username Taken »

Don't know about motos, but when I win a free can (of Cambodia beer) it costs me 500 riel.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm Don't know about motos, but when I win a free can (of Cambodia beer) it costs me 500 riel.
If you exchange at the wholesaler the exchange is free, some retail shops charge 500r per can for the service of the exchange. I've never heard of winners paying any tax for a motorcycle.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

lostjeremy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am Familys neighbor pulled a ring on a RedBull and got a moto but todays a holiday so he hasn't done anything with it yet so Im just curious.... When you win a moto or truck from these is it like in the US where you have to pay tax on it? Or the sales tax or import duty tax before they hand over the keys?

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk
Someone said to me if you win a major prize, keep the can as well as the ring pull. I think this is so they can confirm you purchased the can (the prize stamp is printed in a circle inside the can lid so that it appears on the ring tab).

Don't know if that's true but I wouldn't risk throwing the can away.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

We had a young bloke working for us ,from a very poor family, who won a moto last year just before Xmas with one of the soft drink companies. No tax. And YES you must keep the whole can.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Brother in law won a Dream about 3 years ago. No tax. Whole can req'd, as noted. Took about 3 months for the 'presentation' ceremony before they got the wheels, iirc.

Had to share it with his drinking buddies, but for the price of a box of beer they each ended up with $300, so not a terrible deal
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:18 pm
Someone said to me if you win a major prize, keep the can as well as the ring pull. I think this is so they can confirm you purchased the can (the prize stamp is printed in a circle inside the can lid so that it appears on the ring tab).

Don't know if that's true but I wouldn't risk throwing the can away.
I heard that too so when I won $1000 on a Cambodia Beer ring pull earlier this year I kept the can. Then when I went to their office I was surprised how many other people were collecting prizes, and noticed they were checking the cans. Somehow they didn't ask for my can and I threw it out anyway later after collecting the prize. I'm guessing if you had access to a can manufacturing factory you could stamp out more prizes from the rest of the lid?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Well I'm glad someone is winning decent prizes. In 2 1/2 years the best I've done is three $1 prizes and a zillion "free" 500r beers.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm Don't know about motos, but when I win a free can (of Cambodia beer) it costs me 500 riel.
Amateur! How long have you been living here bro? Never pay, always free.

Edited to add...I'm currently in the process of getting drunk off of a free case of beer, yes, I know it's 0600hrs and I have a problem, thanks for asking.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I take 24 free beer ring pulls to the wholesaler, he gives me another box and charges me $2 'handling' fee.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic