ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Post by kiwiincambodia »

newkidontheblock wrote:
And yes, I was more than happy to help her at 3AM with her homework via FaceTime.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: ACE craziness (Australian Centre for Education in Phnom Penh)

Post by epidemiks »

I thought Donny Wahlberg here was in the country.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

that genius wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 am I really think you should ask to meet the teacher. No reasonable educator will refuse to meet, or adapt certain strategies and materials PROVIDED that your approach is respectful and sensitive.
Might be surprising, but I wouldn't meet with the spouse or partner of an adult student, and have refused to do so in the past. I had a Sri Lankan student who failed her courses with me miserably (because she was a princess whose fecal matter lacked odor, and used to having everything handed to her on a plate) and her lawyer husband threatened to sue if I didn't adjust her grades. Administration encouraged me to do so, and I gave them a fairly Australian response in the negatory involving Vaseline and insertion, suggesting they could change they grade administratively but I'd carry it further if they did, reminding them of my side position as the union rep. Since that time I've been very careful with whom I'll discuss anything related to teaching. Teaching is in no way a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship, and I would see outside commentary as a professional intrusion. The flip-side of this apparently draconian attitude is that if, at the end of a given period, my game wasn't up to standard, I'd expect to be out on my ear.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 am
Cinnamoncat wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am There was an American school in P Penh, but it wasn't nearly as good.
*ahem*, your ex, Ken, actually worked at The American School in 1994 for a short time.

:bow:

btw, The American School is still open. In the little street next to Hun To's old house near the Bokor intersection.
We both did, in 1994. Really, Sir.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
reflexline
Expatriate

Post by reflexline »

Newkid, you need to lower your expectations. ACE may be one of the better options in Cambodia, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the same quality of instruction as ISPP or Northbridge, which is reflected in the fees. Cambodians now teach up to the intermediate level. - a typical local teacher has a BA from IFL and an IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Many are relatively new teachers, as ACE has grown from one campus in PP to four over the last 5 years.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

reflexline wrote:Newkid, you need to lower your expectations. ACE may be one of the better options in Cambodia, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the same quality of instruction as ISPP or Northbridge, which is reflected in the fees. Cambodians now teach up to the intermediate level. - a typical local teacher has a BA from IFL and an IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Many are relatively new teachers, as ACE has grown from one campus in PP to four over the last 5 years.
Yes! She finally got a good replacement teacher this time. Khmer, but pronounces English really well, and speaks faster. Both areas she needs improvement on.

He explained that what all the previous teachers had been teaching were incorrect, explained why it was incorrect, and what the correct teaching was and why it was correct.

The downside? He gives more homework and expects more out of the students. Further sessions have seen a dramatic decrease in class attendance.

I am satisfied.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Expecting more out of students? I like him!
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 am <cut>
He explained that what all the previous teachers had been teaching were incorrect, explained why it was incorrect, and what the correct teaching was and why it was correct.
Better be careful with that kind of teachers. Might have a nasty narcissistic side.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 am <cut>
Better be careful with that kind of teachers. Might have a nasty narcissistic side.
Yes, I read that a couple of times and didn't like the taste of it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Decrease in class attendance hooray sign me up
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic