Certificate of residency.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Certificate of residency.

Post by bolueeleh »

its always a clusterfuck anywhere in KoW, the procedure, knowledge n capabilities are different in every sangkat, municipality, provincial and even ministry, the only common thread is greenback, sometimes they themselves do not even know that they can or suppose to do that. take driving license for example, one department will tell u this works, another department will tell u another, until greenback is given, things are pushed and getting done, then it works for u, might not work again for the next person on the same route
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Thanks for your report, good to know so people have options. My most recent experience was just over 1 month ago, applying for my 4th Certificate of Residence, but was told to wait for our hard-title (with my name on it) to be issued. I will report back once complete.

Obviously experiences will vary from Province to Province, Sangkat to Sangkat...The relevant Prakas' are outdated and very vague, left wide open to interpretation, clear as mud.

Many Sangkats, especially those outside of the major cities, have no clue about these documents for foreigners.

For years residents of SR would get their Certificate of Residency from the DoI, but in the last year they've been telling people to go to their Sangkat as it has nothing to do with Immigration.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am For what it's worth: my experience is about two weeks old. And both the DOI and the head of immigration police confirmed what I wrote above. Can't make it any different.

So it's a clusterfuck, at least in my province. Happy to read recent reports from other about this.

<edit> and I have registered with the authorities, so that's not the issue </edit>
Jeez, I hope this is not the new normal. Our sangkat has always been great with issuing me resident certificates. For the initial one, my wife just had to bring our land title in and have a closed-door session with the big boss. After that each issuance has just been typed up by the clerk.

My wife always slides the clerk a fiver but money has never been asked for.

I'm due to get my certificate updated so I guess I'll know if anything has changed in our sangkat.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am Certificate of Residency is different from a Residency Permit (Carnet de Residence). The Sangkat are also responsible for the issuing of these, not the DoI.
What then is the Carnet de Residence (residence permit) for and how do you get one if you need it?
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Ingvar 7788
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Ingvar 7788 »

Here is my version.
I made it a couple of months to obtain a new driver license. It took about one week and cost $20.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 amStroppy's residency permit was given out by a lax Sangkat, he might not be lucky next time, and since the validity is only 3 months it will be of single use only.
Meh. This is my third from three different sangkats, so they must all be lax. I've also been able to use the documents years beyond the 3-month expiry you mention.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Another curve ball, depending on your Sangkat official, is the validity of your rental contract to qualify for a resident certificate. If the Police signed the rental contract, the Sangkat might not recognize it. Landlords sometimes try to avoid the correct procedure for rental contracts so as to avoid paying 10% withholding tax on rental income.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Another thing to consider - the property must have been registered at the sangkat AND the building tax paid up to date AND the lease registered BEFORE the sangkat will issue the residence document. If your landlord is an important person and any part of the requirements are not met, it's easier for the sangkat to tell you it's not possible. We ended up paying to have the lease registered ($30) on the previous place just to move things along, but didn't feel obliged to give the landlord a copy of the registered lease.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

finbar wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am Certificate of Residency is different from a Residency Permit (Carnet de Residence). The Sangkat are also responsible for the issuing of these, not the DoI.
What then is the Carnet de Residence (residence permit) for and how do you get one if you need it?
Carnet de Residence can replace a Family book if you were to make a khmer ID. You have to be khmer to get one.
Don't forget the water buffalo
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

For those having trouble...go to Pyramid Translation, they have the format and can fill in your details and provide with the required number of copies...take to Sangkat for them to stamp and thumbprint...they'll be happy because you've already done the work for them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic