Moving to Cambodia tips and questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Moving to Cambodia tips and questions

Post by canabodia »

Thanks all. Not to be rude but I'm not looking for advice on why not to move to Cambodia. Ive read enough of those threads and posts.
There are a lot of assumptions here that I will correct. I will be putting my kids in an international school and not home schooling. I have been to Cambodia and southeast Asia numerous times so have a good idea of what to expect. I'm not going in blindly.
I'm looking for some tips and advice to make sure I'm not missing anything in our planning. As I've only visited, I'm sure many of you who have made the move can offer helpful tips o the move.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

There are folks on here that just want to know why someone asks certain questions instead of helping in answering the questions. My guess is that they have nothing better to do or they just want to make negative comments. Best to do what you did and just ignore them.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

^ Always ignore questions I for the most comprehensive of answers! Great idea!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

I'm moving there for work and will stay a few years at least if that helps.

Sent using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

There are a few very good schools here...Northbridge, ISPP, Logos (if you don't mind religious schools) CIA, CIS, maybe Southbridge

Can't say the same for universities, a few have decent partnership-programme degrees, but still in developmental stages
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Northridge ( i looked at it for my daughter) is the only worthwhile international school BUT at $12-16,000/year it is far from Cheap
Universities,ur looking at sending them to bangkok or back to your home country
Northridge has some very nice homes on campus as well at around $2-2,500/month

As far as what to bring, as little as possible, personal items. everything else can be brought locally or fly to bangkok for a weekend and buy whatever u cant find in PP.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

canabodia wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm I'm moving to Phnom Penh this summer with my wife and 3 kids ages 7,9 and 11. We are starting to figure out what we are going to keep in storage, sell or bring with us. So a few questions for now but I'm sure many more to come.

- a friend living in Phnom Penh told us that if we have a favorite pot or pan to bring it as they are expensive there.
Sorry I meant to reply to this a while ago. I don't know why anyone would say cooking appliances here are expensive as they are very cheap. If you are a professional chef and want specific items there may be a problem. Good quality stainless steel cooking pots with laminated bases are available at around $10 like the one below.

Heavy duty teflon coated fry pans at around $15. Check following link: http://www.cambodiakitchenequipment.com ... &id=&lg=en

If you want more specific equipment such as paella dishes Guang hong supplies them very cheap http://www.cambodiakitchenequipment.com ... d=40&lg=en

However really top notch cooking knives seem to be hard to come by. If you have some particularly favourite knives, Shun for example I would bring those. Having said that there are extremely good cheap knives in the market that work very well, if you are not that fussed.

canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

Kuroneko wrote:
canabodia wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm I'm moving to Phnom Penh this summer with my wife and 3 kids ages 7,9 and 11. We are starting to figure out what we are going to keep in storage, sell or bring with us. So a few questions for now but I'm sure many more to come.

- a friend living in Phnom Penh told us that if we have a favorite pot or pan to bring it as they are expensive there.
Sorry I meant to reply to this a while ago. I don't know why anyone would say cooking appliances here are expensive as they are very cheap. If you are a professional chef and want specific items there may be a problem. Good quality stainless steel cooking pots with laminated bases are available at around $10 like the one below.

Heavy duty teflon coated fry pans at around $15. Check following link: http://www.cambodiakitchenequipment.com ... &id=&lg=en

If you want more specific equipment such as paella dishes Guang hong supplies them very cheap http://www.cambodiakitchenequipment.com ... d=40&lg=en

However really top notch cooking knives seem to be hard to come by. If you have some particularly favourite knives, Shun for example I would bring those. Having said that there are extremely good cheap knives in the market that work very well, if you are not that fussed.

Thanks. Very helpful.

Sent using Tapatalk

canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

phuketrichard wrote:Northridge ( i looked at it for my daughter) is the only worthwhile international school BUT at $12-16,000/year it is far from Cheap
Universities,ur looking at sending them to bangkok or back to your home country
Northridge has some very nice homes on campus as well at around $2-2,500/month

As far as what to bring, as little as possible, personal items. everything else can be brought locally or fly to bangkok for a weekend and buy whatever u cant find in PP.
Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

canabodia wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm ....
- clothing wise we are not planning to bring a lot we will purchase more when here. We were told it's cheap to buy or make what you want. I read about "export" stores that sell cheap clothes that didn't make the cut for selling overseas.
Russian Market (not O'Russei market) has the best selection of clothes, stall after stall, although central market also has some stuff.
There are also some stores that would pass for luxury in Cambo on (I think) st 136 near Sorya market on the good side of Norodom. Selling golf shirts for $75!, but they do have big sizes.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic