Schengen Visa for Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kennzo
Expatriate
Great Britain

Schengen Visa for Khmer

Post by kennzo »

Mrs Kennzo is traveling once more with me to UK for Xmas (she has UK visa already), we are thinking of a few days in Paris so obviously need Schengen visa.

Is this available directly from French embassy in PP or completed through some third party, and guidelines on basic procedure would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

I tend to sleep in the nude. Which isn't a bad thing except for maybe on those long flights.

www.kenedgar.com
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Schengen Visa for Khmer

Post by Arget »

kennzo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm Mrs Kennzo is traveling once more with me to UK for Xmas (she has UK visa already), we are thinking of a few days in Paris so obviously need Schengen visa.

Is this available directly from French embassy in PP or completed through some third party, and guidelines on basic procedure would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

"C" visas must be applied for at the correct
embassy/consulate. If:
i.) only one Schengen Member State is being visited:
applications must be made at the Consulate or Embassy of that
particular Member State;
kennzo
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by kennzo »

Arget wrote:
kennzo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm Mrs Kennzo is traveling once more with me to UK for Xmas (she has UK visa already), we are thinking of a few days in Paris so obviously need Schengen visa.

Thank you in advance.

"C" visas must be applied for at the correct
embassy/consulate. If:
i.) only one Schengen Member State is being visited:
applications must be made at the Consulate or Embassy of that
particular Member State;
Thank you for your reply, any chance you can answer the points I asked?

Regards

I tend to sleep in the nude. Which isn't a bad thing except for maybe on those long flights.

www.kenedgar.com
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Mate just go to http://www.french-embassy.com/visa.html and check it out.
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

Arget wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm Mate just go to http://www.french-embassy.com/visa.html and check it out.
the information on this site is outdated and inaccurate. the official website of the french embassy in phnom penh is: https://kh.ambafrance.org where one can find what is required for a schengen visa when applying via the french embassy.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Is this available directly from French embassy in PP...
Yes it is. Assuming you and Mrs Kennzo are legally married to each other and you're a EU/UK national they have to give her the visa (for free) and the only requirements are the application form, marriage certificate and travel insurance. Persuading them of this can be tricky. You'll make it easier if you include flight details, accommodation details and proof of funds. She's entitled to a 90-day/6-month multiple entry visa. If you specify particular dates those are what they are likely to put on the visa. If you ask for 90-day/6-month and multiple entry that's what you should get. It should only take a week to get it.

You have to make an appointment for the application on the Embassy website. They don't allow anyone to accompany the applicant. The staff like to lord it over the applicants so make sure your wife knows what the rules are and will stick up for herself or send her in with all the extra documents which are not actually required.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, if you are married, check with the embassy which documents they want for proof, if you send your wife to the French embassy with the 'etat civil' given out by the local authorities that won't be enough, they won't accept any documents in Khmer. They will ask at least for a translation, but probably for a version given out by MoFA in English, stamped and signed. Make sure your partner / wife prepares well and brings all the correct documents and copies needed, then the former applies if you are married.

If the two of you are not married then you enter the game of gambling named 'obtaining a Schengen tourist visa'.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

Yes it is. Assuming you and Mrs Kennzo are legally married to each other and you're a EU/UK national they have to give her the visa (for free) and the only requirements are the application form, marriage certificate and travel insurance. Persuading them of this can be tricky. You'll make it easier if you include flight details, accommodation details and proof of funds. She's entitled to a 90-day/6-month multiple entry visa. If you specify particular dates those are what they are likely to put on the visa. If you ask for 90-day/6-month and multiple entry that's what you should get. It should only take a week to get it.

You have to make an appointment for the application on the Embassy website. They don't allow anyone to accompany the applicant. The staff like to lord it over the applicants so make sure your wife knows what the rules are and will stick up for herself or send her in with all the extra documents which are not actually required.
Multiple entry? Not sure she's entitled to multi entry if legally married. My experience is the first time they will not provide multi entry.

And bout free. Not true. If the visa handling is outsourced the fees for handling the visa request, charged by the company hired to handle the requests, still have to be paid. Only the visa itself (normal prince EUR 60,-) is free if she is married to Schengen / UK national.

The French embassy will ask for at least:

-Applicant’s passport and their spouses passport;
-Application form two passport standard photos of the applicant;
-Marriage certificate in original (if you got married outside the UK, the marriage certificate must be translated and the translation must be certified)

Other embassies might ask for more documents. They might ask for travel insurance too.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

Multiple entry? Not sure she's entitled to multi entry if legally married. My experience is the first time they will not provide multi entry.

And about free, yes for the visa itself. But... If the visa handling is outsourced (not sure if the French embassy in PP handles requests by themselves or not) the fees for handling the visa request, charged by the company hired to handle the requests, still have to be paid.

The French will ask for at least:

-Applicant’s passport and their spouses passport;
-Application form two passport standard photos of the applicant;
-Marriage certificate in original (if you got married outside the UK, the marriage certificate must be translated and the translation must be certified)

Other embassies might ask for more documents. They might ask for travel insurance too.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

When your wife applies for the Schengen visa through the French Embassy my experience is that they want to see airline tickets - not just the booking, Health Insurance for the duration of the trip, hotel booking for the start of the trip at least and proof of sufficient funds OR a support letter from you to say that you will cover the costs of the trip. All of this is in addition to what is called for on the application form. It is better to show too much detail rather than not enough.

If you intend to travel also to UK she will need a multiple visa visa to allow you to enter the Schengen area on your arrrival from Cambodia before you travel to UK and then to return to the Schengen area if you fly from there back to Cambodia. If you fly to UK from Cambodia and return back from UK she needs the UK visa to be a multiple instead.

Finally if you land in France, Italy or Spain as the first port of call in the Schengen area you apply through the French Embassy, If you first land in Holland or Germany or other points north then you apply via the German embassy.

This information is based on a number of visits to and from France, Holland UK etc. with my wife.

Finally if you are legally married and you are a European passport holder (UK or Schengen area) your wife is entitled to her visa without payment.

Good luck for your trip
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic