Schengen Visa for Khmer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Schengen Visa for Khmer

Post by daeum_tnaot »

OK, so thanks for the information, it sounds like most of you are saying that if we get a visa it will most likely be for the length we request on the itinerary, exactly, or plus a few days.

So it sounds like, if we want to do some traveling around Europe, it makes more sense to embellish the itinerary so we get a longer time period.

Anyone have any comments on the legendary - "flight pre-booking"? I.e. do you really need to buy a ticket and if not, then what do you show them?

Also, same for the proof of health insurance for the duration....
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm OK, so thanks for the information, it sounds like most of you are saying that if we get a visa it will most likely be for the length we request on the itinerary, exactly, or plus a few days.

So it sounds like, if we want to do some traveling around Europe, it makes more sense to embellish the itinerary so we get a longer time period.

Anyone have any comments on the legendary - "flight pre-booking"? I.e. do you really need to buy a ticket and if not, then what do you show them?

Just go some local travel agency and tell them that you would need to "pre-book" flight ticket for Schengen visa and let them know entry and exit cities/countries. They know what you are after and print you flight itinerary that you can go to embassy with. Insurance you need to buy. If the visa is rejected most insurance companies pay part of the insurance cost back to you.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm OK, so thanks for the information, it sounds like most of you are saying that if we get a visa it will most likely be for the length we request on the itinerary, exactly, or plus a few days.

travel agent on 154 between st 19 an 15 does them fpr $15. be aware these are resevations only valid for a s[ecified period, normally 48 hours so get them done day before your appointment. make sure you have medical insurance for her. AXA online is ok but you need to print it and if youhave issues you can change the date onlin without paying again.
It is a lottery at the french embassy. 1 of the women is an arse. Make sure gf knows what document is what. Itinerary needs hotel bookings unless staying with relatives so do the booking.com free cancellation and take them in. GF need income and money in the bank . For france about $50 a day for tourism with accomodation pre-booked. She will also need permission from her employer to take 3 months off , or whatever time it is and a proper job contract helps. its gettign tougher every year :-(
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

According to Roger rabbit, based on his own experience it shouldn't be very difficult to get a visa.

RR, would you like to make some very easy money ?

How much do you want to bet that the gf gets a visa?
If you put $100 on the table I will give you $300 if she gets the visa. I will even throw in a second attempt at no extra cost.

Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, or will you chicken out?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

pczz wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:27 am

travel agent on 154 between st 19 an 15 does them fpr $15. be aware these are resevations only valid for a s[ecified period, normally 48 hours so get them done day before your appointment. make sure you have medical insurance for her. AXA online is ok but you need to print it and if youhave issues you can change the date onlin without paying again.
It is a lottery at the french embassy. 1 of the women is an arse. Make sure gf knows what document is what. Itinerary needs hotel bookings unless staying with relatives so do the booking.com free cancellation and take them in. GF need income and money in the bank . For france about $50 a day for tourism with accomodation pre-booked. She will also need permission from her employer to take 3 months off , or whatever time it is and a proper job contract helps. its gettign tougher every year :-(

Thanks for the intel on the Embassy in Phnom Penh, actually we are applying in a third country since we both moved away from Cambodia. I'm not sure where we can get a booking/reservation where we are living but I'll try to find something.

She has money and I do as well to demonstrate that we can cover our costs, plus we will be staying with someone for part of the time.

I also read somewhere, I can't remember where, that the Spanish Embassy is easier. Have you heard that or is that true?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

logos wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:12 am According to Roger rabbit, based on his own experience it shouldn't be very difficult to get a visa.

RR, would you like to make some very easy money ?

How much do you want to bet that the gf gets a visa?
If you put $100 on the table I will give you $300 if she gets the visa. I will even throw in a second attempt at no extra cost.

Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, or will you chicken out?
No, I'm not going to put any money as I have no real details about his situation and how he will fill the forms and so on. The people who I know that have applied Schengen visa, 5/8 have got it. Two of who didn't get it failed with the forms or they didn't submit enough documents to embassy. In third case French embassy denied it (not sure why, maybe because kid didn't have all the correct papers), but then they went thought their own embassy in Bangkok, they got the visa without a problem. And like I said, my wife got visa 7 times without any problems (through german embassy).

All I have said, if you fill all the forms correctly, you meet all the requirements and submit the needed documents, the chances you will get it is high.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

No need for a full ticket, but itinerary is needed and if the visa is granted it will be according to the itinerary provided. They will add a few days at the end to cover for delays, never have seen them add days at the start. The visa validity will start on the day you arrive in the Schengen zone according to your itinerary (doesn't have to be your date of departure).

Medical insurance is needed. Full proof must be provided. You have to spend money with the risk you will never use it.

About staying with someone, they will ask for a letter from that person, and officially that letter has to be signed off/stamped at the city hall where that person lives to proof the person actually exists and lives there. An e-mail from that person probably won't do as proof. Hotel bookings will be accepted as proof.

The whole procedure for a visa will take you at least a week (last time ours took 28 day even though we have the legal right to a free visa, but the embassy claimed they overlooked some documents provided), so forget about a 48 hour pre-booking. That's not going to be enough time for you.

Choose your embassy carefully. Some embassies (for instance French embassy in Cambodia) will accept your application and fee without too many checks and charge you the fee. The fee is non refundable. The German embassy in Cambodia will check your documents carefully and only accept it (and charge the fee) if they feel like there's a substantial chance you will get the visa. So choose your embassy based on experiences from others to save yourself from a denied application and a EUR 60 loss.

Since you are not living together, just traveling together so it seems, I think the chance of getting a visa for three months is extremely low in your case. 3 months is a lot of time for a first time visa and there's quite a few things that will make the embassy suspicious in your application story:

- no actual ticket (yet)
- not applying in Cambodia where she comes from
- no proof of living together
- intention to stay 'with someone' instead of in hotels
- applying for the max term of 3 months (risk of using the visa to work illegally)

Good luck with the application.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I don't know anything about Schengen visas, though I'm aware of how the US embassy looks at things and I imagine it's similar.

If you ask for three months to "bum around" the USA, sleep on your friend's couch, etc. then you may appear to the embassy to be an itinerant person with no compelling ties to your home country (i.e. if you had strong ties to you home country you wouldn't be spending three months away). This can be overcome by showing a latter from your employer that you're on a leave of absence and will return to work on a certain date, or enrollment in a university with classes starting in three months, etc.

But as a general rule, you look more like a bona fide tourist if you ask for 2-3 weeks not three months.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 am

No need for a full ticket, but itinerary is needed and if the visa is granted it will be according to the itinerary provided. They will add a few days at the end to cover for delays, never have seen them add days at the start. The visa validity will start on the day you arrive in the Schengen zone according to your itinerary (doesn't have to be your date of departure).

Medical insurance is needed. Full proof must be provided. You have to spend money with the risk you will never use it.

About staying with someone, they will ask for a letter from that person, and officially that letter has to be signed off/stamped at the city hall where that person lives to proof the person actually exists and lives there. An e-mail from that person probably won't do as proof. Hotel bookings will be accepted as proof.

The whole procedure for a visa will take you at least a week (last time ours took 28 day even though we have the legal right to a free visa, but the embassy claimed they overlooked some documents provided), so forget about a 48 hour pre-booking. That's not going to be enough time for you.

Choose your embassy carefully. Some embassies (for instance French embassy in Cambodia) will accept your application and fee without too many checks and charge you the fee. The fee is non refundable. The German embassy in Cambodia will check your documents carefully and only accept it (and charge the fee) if they feel like there's a substantial chance you will get the visa. So choose your embassy based on experiences from others to save yourself from a denied application and a EUR 60 loss.

Since you are not living together, just traveling together so it seems, I think the chance of getting a visa for three months is extremely low in your case. 3 months is a lot of time for a first time visa and there's quite a few things that will make the embassy suspicious in your application story:

- no actual ticket (yet)
- applying for the max term of 3 months (risk of using the visa to work illegally)

Thanks for your information on the ticket and the medical insurance.

We are living together and have a residence permit to prove it, and also we have the same type of visa. Our proof of staying with someone in Europe is pretty solid, but we will also provide proof of funds to demonstrate that we can afford hotels.

Sounds like we won't apply for 3 months but try to extend our stay to one month so we will have sometime to travel around.

Not applying in Cambodia may actually work in her favor as it sets them apart from local applicants.

Still interested if anyone has heard about the Embassy of Spain because supposedly it is easier to get a visa there and also they may give longer duration.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:20 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 am

- no actual ticket (yet)

Thanks for your information on the ticket and the medical insurance.

We are living together and have a residence permit to prove it, and also we have the same type of visa. Our proof of staying with someone in Europe is pretty solid, but we will also provide proof of funds to demonstrate that we can afford hotels.

Sounds like we won't apply for 3 months but try to extend our stay to one month so we will have sometime to travel around.

Not applying in Cambodia may actually work in her favor as it sets them apart from local applicants.

Still interested if anyone has heard about the Embassy of Spain because supposedly it is easier to get a visa there and also they may give longer duration.
If both of you are not from a Schengen country the fact the two of you are in a relationship doesn't matter, i assumed you were. In that case she has the right to a visa if it's a long term relationship.

If both of you are from a country outside Schengen in general it will be pretty difficult I think, because there's no (legal) right to a visa.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic