Moving to Siem Reap with kids

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Moving to Siem Reap with kids

Post by canabodia »

Hi all. New to the forum. Thanks in advance for the help.
Our family might be moving to Siem Reap next Summer from Canada. I have a few questions. I've found tons of useful information online but still have questions.
- I have 3 kids ages 6-10. Should we be looking at a house instead of apartment / flat? I read about certain "commune" areas. What exactly is a commune in Cambodia. In my mind I think of a gated community area?
- any personal experience with international schools would be helpful
- my oldest child has a peanut allergy. I know Asia in general is bad for peanuts but how prevalent is it really, especially in the siem reap area when eating out? We love street food and local restaurants instead of overly westernized tourist places.

I wil just start with those for now
Thanks

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Siem Reap with kids

Post by John Bingham »

I read about certain "commune" areas. What exactly is a commune in Cambodia. In my mind I think of a gated community area?
A commune is just an administrative subdivision. The country is divided into provinces, districts and communes, a commune is made up of 3 or more villages. There are plenty of gated communities (Boreys) too but these will be within a commune.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

How bad is the peanut allergy? Does your child need immediate hospitalization when eating those?

If yes, I would give the whole plan second thoughts given the state of healthcare in Cambodia.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 am How bad is the peanut allergy? Does your child need immediate hospitalization when eating those?

If yes, I would give the whole plan second thoughts given the state of healthcare in Cambodia.
^^This. If the peanut allergy is severe, I would call off the move. If it is mild then it should be fine as long as you are careful where you eat out because PB&J is not exactly common in lunch rooms in Khmer schools.
canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

kptic wrote:
Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 am How bad is the peanut allergy? Does your child need immediate hospitalization when eating those?

^^This. If the peanut allergy is severe, I would call off the move. If it is mild then it should be fine as long as you are careful where you eat out because PB&J is not exactly common in lunch rooms in Khmer schools.
I guess how bad depends on compared to whom. His allergy is only by direct consumption, as in if he eats something that has peanuts in it. If people around him are eating it then it's fine. We have yet to need to use the epipen on him in 10 years that we have known of the allergy.
He has only accidentally been exposed to peanuts twice and both times allergy meds alone did the job.
The thing with allergies that they call anaphalactic is that you only know 100% how you will react if you actually expose yourself to it. Until then it is a best guess scenario based on his skin tests.
I hope that helps to explain his situation more.
I have a friend who would react if she walked into a room where peanuts were cooked. He's nowhere close to that. But doctors make him carry epipen becuse his allergy tests showed that he is allergic. So he is bad but not off the charts bad.

canabodia
Expatriate
Canada

Post by canabodia »

John Bingham wrote:

A commune is just an administrative subdivision. The country is divided into provinces, districts and communes, a commune is made up of 3 or more villages. There are plenty of gated communities (Boreys) too but these will be within a commune.
Thanks. That explained when I looked for certain named communed in google maps it showed an area. I was expecting like an actual place.

Is there an area that is more "family friendly". I know that is vague lol. I mean I don't plan to come to Cambodia to lock myself up in an area with only expats. If that is the case I might as well stay here. But I also want to know that my kids are safe of we are out as they don't speak Khmer. A place where they might make friends with other kids. I don't imagine that living right in the heart of Pub Street area makes sense haha.

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There are no gated communities per se. Obviously, Pub Street is not an option and I would avoid the Sok San area as well.

I live in a house (three kids) near Wat Polanka. I do not think that there are areas with more kids than others. More and more options for kids these days, including a water park that just opened. My kids go to a local international school which is fine for kids up to Standard 7. It gets a little bit harder after that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

HI;

1. Schools only a few and not sure how good they are, the good ones are in Phnom Penh and COSTLY ( US$10,000 and up /year)
2. NO gated communities as such in SR (if ur refereeing to gated communities like we have in phuket, where there is a wall and an official gate u pass thru to enter)
3. Peanuts are widely used in foods but can easily be avoided once u know which foods have them.
4.health cares sucks but thailand is right across the border

Curious, why would you desire to uproot ur 3 kids and move them to Cambodia? the oldest might hate you for it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am4.health cares sucks but thailand is right across the border.
Not really true anymore, when was the last time you were in SR?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:47 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am4.health cares sucks but thailand is right across the border.
Not really true anymore, when was the last time you were in SR?
last august, why?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic