Why don't people say goodbye?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Why don't people say goodbye?

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 pm...during phone conversations its not uncommon for khmers to just put the phone down when the conversation is finished without saying goodbye,
its something which ive witnessed many times and i know to be true, when the conversation is over they just hang up...
It took me a while to get used to this, and then longer to start doing it myself when it was clear a conversation was done. The thing that really gives me the sh!ts is a Khmer dialing my number before they're ready to talk to me, and me then having to just hang on the phone listening while they finish their other conversation, or eating their lunch, or whatever they're doing before they get around to talking to me.

The irritation level of this is only slightly higher to talking to a company representative on the phone, to then be told "wait" before the next person comes on the line with "hullo?", repeating myself in both languages, being told to "wait" before the next person comes on the line with "hullo?", repeating myself in... you get the idea. When giggling is happening in the background you know we're playing a game of office "annoy the barang" and so I ask "why is this funny? What is your name again?" and we suddenly get serious and down to business. Or is that just my experience?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 pm...during phone conversations its not uncommon for khmers to just put the phone down when the conversation is finished without saying goodbye,
its something which ive witnessed many times and i know to be true, when the conversation is over they just hang up...
It took me a while to get used to this, and then longer to start doing it myself when it was clear a conversation was done. The thing that really gives me the sh!ts is a Khmer dialing my number before they're ready to talk to me, and me then having to just hang on the phone listening while they finish their other conversation, or eating their lunch, or whatever they're doing before they get around to talking to me.

The irritation level of this is only slightly higher to talking to a company representative on the phone, to then be told "wait" before the next person comes on the line with "hullo?", repeating myself in both languages, being told to "wait" before the next person comes on the line with "hullo?", repeating myself in... you get the idea. When giggling is happening in the background you know we're playing a game of office "annoy the barang" and so I ask "why is this funny? What is your name again?" and we suddenly get serious and down to business. Or is that just my experience?
Wow that's a little heavy. Why are you laughing at my attempts at a foreign language? Why are you eating your lunch while taking taking a business call? Stroppy Chops, how farkin dare you! Haha

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rick_o'shea wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:35 amWow that's a little heavy. Why are you laughing at my attempts at a foreign language? Why are you eating your lunch while taking taking a business call? Stroppy Chops, how farkin dare you! Haha
Indeed.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:29 pm
I get revenge when some m"-ron dials my (wrong) number ta 2 am..I just let the retard talk for 10 minutes, answering uh-huh, then ask 'Huh'? when he runs out of wonderful details he wants to share with the universe from Kampong Merde
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Khmers have no phone etiquette at all. Many the time I have asked a Khmer to call someone to get an address or other details. After they have a long conversation they hang up and have forgotten to ask about the details at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic