Why don't people say goodbye?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Why don't people say goodbye?

Post by hanno »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm If you say goodbye people always expect you to stay for "just one more" which turns into several.
They also expect you to pay your end of the tab...
We are usually the ones paying so that's not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here.....
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Oh, sorry, I forgot the emoji...

They also expect you to pay your end of the tab... :lol:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Last night we had dinner at a friend's place and our host went to bed without saying goodbye. After about half an hour we asked where he was and sure enough, he was asleep.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Never experienced it.

Inviting someone over then just going to bed without a word is straight up rude, unless you were all 10 beers in and they simply collapsed.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've never experienced this here by Khmers, but I used to do it a the time back home. Was later told it's an "Irish Exit". If it's a big party or something, I cant be bothered to go catch everyone in the crowd and say bye, bye, bye. Just slip out... Here if I'm out with a few friends then of course I'll say goodbye. I'm talking house parties back home and all that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:30 pm Last night we had dinner at a friend's place and our host went to bed without saying goodbye. After about half an hour we asked where he was and sure enough, he was asleep.

Well thats worse than not being invited to the dinner in the first place.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

When I first arrived in Cambodia I got told not to be surprised if people walked off without saying goodbye and that we should/could do likewise.

Weddings and ceremonies, don't most people just eat and run ? The most important bit is the greeting (and envelope) ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 pm When I first arrived in Cambodia I got told not to be surprised if people walked off without saying goodbye and that we should/could do likewise.

Weddings and ceremonies, don't most people just eat and run ? The most important bit is the greeting (and envelope) ?
Weddings don't count! You're expected to get up and leave - having left the envelope, of course - so the next 10 payers can use the table.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 pm Is it just us or have others experienced this?

We will be out with people and notice that someone has left. We assume they've gone to the loo or to make a phone call - but after half an hour or so you realise they've actually left without saying goodbye.

All our friends have done it at one time or more, so we assume it's another of those "Khmer things" or are our friends just particularly rude?

If you did this in Australia you wouldn't get invited back!

there is some truth behind this

during phone conversations its not uncommon for khmers to just put the phone down when the conversation is finished without saying goodbye,
its something which ive witnessed many times and i know to be true, when the conversation is over they just hang up,

not really sure how common it is for khmers to leave without saying good bye though, its something i have noticed in the past, but not really enough times for me to see a regular pattern, will be something i will keep my eye out on in future, im someone who likes to say goodbye when leaving or if i see someone leaving so ive not really noticed so much, i know when khmer males get a little too drunk they will often sneak off without saying goodbye, but thats only really the times i notice it the most
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After all these many many years I still cannot get over one of my best friends leaving without saying good-bye. ,,,,, RIP
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic