Potential expat...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Potential expat...

Post by phuketrichard »

personally i would not move anywhere half way around the world with $2,000
EVEN IF u get a job in the first week (slim chance.....unless ur white) u wont be paid for a month
$5,000 MINIMUM<<<<<<
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phrammoianchor
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by phrammoianchor »

Notthereyet wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Notthereyet wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:how much money will you be planning to come out here with?
Not much Jamie, still haven't figured it out. What would you say is a minimum, yet reasonable amount?
youre going to want at least a few grand in order to get yourself set up with an apartment etc and have at least a small cushion for emergencies
people do come over with less and still make it work, but all depends on what youre going to do for income
otherwise it will end up being a short trip
A few grand? Does 2 count as a few?

Apartment prices still el cheapo, or going up?
I'm not too picky, i need internet, as bad as it is, and a shower.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
2 grand is enough but keep in mind you may get sick or something delaying your ability to start your job .
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote:personally i would not move anywhere half way around the world with $2,000
EVEN IF u get a job in the first week (slim chance.....unless ur white) u wont be paid for a month
$5,000 MINIMUM<<<<<<
yeah thats a good point about the wages

youre going to need at least 2-3 months rent + living expenses for at least 2 months

if i ever made a permanent move here id have a lot more than $5k as a nest egg
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Notthereyet, where are you from? Just tell us. Mondolva? Romania? Czech republic? Why is the economy bad? Is it regional or country-wide? Do you currently have a job?

Years ago I was able to comfortably live off $600/month including rent, but now I spend around $1200-1500+/month. My taste has definitely gotten more expensive with age and time, but my point is that it's difficult for a foreigner to live under $7-800/month in the city. You'll need a salary of at least $1000/month to be comfortable.

The skills you mentioned aren't really unique and many local people can do them and are willing to work for $150-250/month. That could be an issue. However, there are many jobs available if you look hard enough. Some people reinvent themselves : real estate, advertising, media and communications etc. The salaries are lower than the positions make them sound, but there are opportunities. I would still want to save more money in case you run out. We have seen MANY foreigners come here and go broke and end up on the streets. $2000 leftover after you've paid for your flight isn't much as getting and apartment and paying for the deposit will cost you $400. I would save at least $4000, that way you have $3000 for here and another $1000 in case you need an emergency plane ticket back home.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

It must seem hard to have to read so much discouraging stuff - however, there ARE places in the catering trade eager to hire "Western expats" as barmen etc.,
(often with accommodation and meals) but the salaries will be a lot lower than the OP seems to think.

This is NO country to become a semi-destitute Westerner, as readers of this and TOF are well aware.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Notthereyet wrote: Been working project management in an ngo for the last two years. Does experience count? How is that sector down there anyways?
If you have project management experience and qualifications in same, sending your CV to some of the NGOs operating here might be a viable option. Experience in a specific area does count. There's quite a wide range of NGO's in operation, some good, others less so.

https://www.ngoforum.org.kh/index.php/local-ngos
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

At last!

An NGO fellow is revealed!

The next time hear from the OP, he'll be the Project Manager of a well-funded NGO safeguarding the interests of
abused elephants, maltreated pangolins and harassed fruit bats.

He'll readily give you a ride in his gleaming white new Land Cruiser.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by walkjivefly »

Notthereyet wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:
If you live rurally, you could probably get by on the amount you could get on upwork as an HTML-jockey
highly unlikely.
you have zillions of indians and pakistanis who are full stack devs to compete with who know their stuff and will work for $5/hr
Kind of irrelevant. I mentioned soldering skills and tech repair. Like component level hardware diagnostics and repair, not coding. But thanks anyways.

If you speak Khmer those skills might be useful since the locals can't diagnose shit. They can wield a soldering iron though and do component level swaps. For probably $200 per month. So you're unlikely to get paid $1000-1500 a month for them.

However much cash you come with, keep 1k separate from your set-up/living costs fund so you can get home if you need to. Or not, it's up to you, but don't expect much sympathy or support when things go tits up.
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Post by prettyvacant »

frank lee bent wrote:
If you live rurally, you could probably get by on the amount you could get on upwork as an HTML-jockey
highly unlikely.
you have zillions of indians and pakistanis who are full stack devs to compete with who know their stuff and will work for $5/hr
I know. I sometimes hire them. But always as the very last option. I also get outsourced work where I pitch myself as "I am not Indian" and "I am perfectly fluent in the English language". Also, $5 per hour is what we are talking about as "get by" in a rural setting. I guessed that the OP had enough web-skills since he talked about skin-tones as "#FFFFFF". Or maybe he has enough skills to work with Photoshop.

But as the other people here said, 2K is probably not enough to get started, with the unavoidable 'Vietnamese girl walked away with my computer' mishap that will probably befell the OP within the first week.
Notthereyet
Tourist

Re: RE: Re: Potential expat...

Post by Notthereyet »

boozyoldman wrote:At last!

An NGO fellow is revealed!

The next time hear from the OP, he'll be the Project Manager of a well-funded NGO safeguarding the interests of
abused elephants, maltreated pangolins and harassed fruit bats.

He'll readily give you a ride in his gleaming white new Land Cruiser.
Sarcasm is strong in this one. -.-

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic