U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
BKK Phil
Tourist
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Contact:
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by BKK Phil » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Duncan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm
my ss (i live in Thailand) goes into my US Citibank account and once a year i wire money over
simple, easy
wouldn't want to use my atm card as the fees and exchange rates suck
wont change when i move over to Cambodia in 2020
Almost worth a trip back to the usa for BBKPlil to set a bank account all up if one plans on living for another 28 years.
Duncan: Thought about a trip back to the US until this new SSA product came along:


https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html

BKK Phil
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 8310
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1210
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by phuketrichard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:41 pm

BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm
phuketrichard:

I've been with BBL direct-deposit accounts for 9 years--first in BKK and now Chiang Mai. But departing next month for Cambodia and want to set up a new direct-dep. acc't with a local bank there.

My preference would be the fantastic DirectExpress Debit card, managed by the SSA itself, but that requires 2-3 months processing time--which i don't have right now. Maybe once I've settled in Cambodia, I'll switch over.

Link: [https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html][/url]

BKK Phil
so KEEP that, use ur bangkok Bank atm for 3 months till u set up ur Cambodian bank

I am going to set this up, NO atm fees:
can sign up online
https://www.aspiration.com/


How do u sign up for us direct? I only see login
looks interesting
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rasputin
Expatriate
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 am
Reputation: 10
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by rasputin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm
phuketrichard:

I've been with BBL direct-deposit accounts for 9 years--first in BKK and now Chiang Mai. But departing next month for Cambodia and want to set up a new direct-dep. acc't with a local bank there.

My preference would be the fantastic DirectExpress Debit card, managed by the SSA itself, but that requires 2-3 months processing time--which i don't have right now. Maybe once I've settled in Cambodia, I'll switch over.

Link: [https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html][/url]

BKK Phil
so KEEP that, use ur bangkok Bank atm for 3 months till u set up ur Cambodian bank

I am going to set this up, NO atm fees:
can sign up online
https://www.aspiration.com/


How do u sign up for us direct? I only see login
looks interesting
I suggest click "Get Started"

Or click Sign In and then look for where it says No account? Sign up today.

That's the special link for no-account expats.

On a more serious note, please use the find-in-page text search function to look for "pwif" in the aspiration.com web page (it's about two thirds of the way down the fine print) and click the "for more information click here" link. Your phone or PC will download a document which you can then peruse and try to figure out, for one thing, whether you'll have a chance of earning that 2% interest.
I stopped reading because I already have a Schwab ATM card that refunds fees worldwide. That would be the main attraction of the Aspiration card... if they stay in business.
Last edited by rasputin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 8310
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1210
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by phuketrichard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm

rasputin wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm
phuketrichard:

I've been with BBL direct-deposit accounts for 9 years--first in BKK and now Chiang Mai. But departing next month for Cambodia and want to set up a new direct-dep. acc't with a local bank there.

My preference would be the fantastic DirectExpress Debit card, managed by the SSA itself, but that requires 2-3 months processing time--which i don't have right now. Maybe once I've settled in Cambodia, I'll switch over.

Link: [https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html][/url]

BKK Phil
so KEEP that, use ur bangkok Bank atm for 3 months till u set up ur Cambodian bank

I am going to set this up, NO atm fees:
can sign up online
https://www.aspiration.com/


How do u sign up for us direct? I only see login
looks interesting
I suggest click "Get Started"

Or click Sign In and then look for where it says No account? Sign up today.

That's the special link for no-account expats.
:please:
please direct me to the get started button on the site i inquired about?
"How do u sign up for us direct? I only see login"

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html

NOT the aspiration site :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BKK Phil
Tourist
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Contact:
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by BKK Phil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:20 am

phuketrichard

1. At https://www.usdirectexpress.com/index.html, go to FAQ's in upper right corner.
2. At FAQ's, read firstly all of section 8, "International Use of the DirectExpress card."
3. At FAQ's. read section 2.1 "Enrollment." They will tell you to call an 800-number in the US. I've done that already, and they were very helpful. Call them during normal business hours THEIR time (likely 8 pm to 8 am Thai/Cambodia time).
4. I recommend you then read most if not all of the remaining FAQ's that pertain to you.
5. Bear in mind the DirectExpress card is a "Debit MasterCard." To locate international MasterCard ATM's, Google "MasterCard ATM Locator". Enter the city and country where you want to check ATM locations (e.g. "Phuket, Thailand")--don't simply enter "Thailand".
6. "MasterCard Global Service" has local "toll-free telephone numbers" in many countries around the world to provide assistance for all card holders. The current list of tel. numbers is linked here: [https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/m ... umbers.pdf][/url]

Good luck and let us know how you've done on this.

BKK Phil
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 10395
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 1391
Australia

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by frank lee bent » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:19 am

a charles schwab acct allows atm use free worldwide.
you need a usa address.
can set up online
User avatar
beaker
Expatriate
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am
Reputation: 94
Location: Ta Khmao
Cambodia

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by beaker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am

BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Hello beaker:

I am still here in Chiang Mai, and have been looking into these issues since November--with not too much help, I must say, from the SSA FBU Unit in Manila.

Due to my departure date from Thailand 5 April, I must arrive in PP and get the direct-deposit (IDD) acc't set up in time for 1 May to collect the next month's pension.

I have been directed to the Cambodia Public Bank to open the IDD account--would you agree with that choice? What are their requirements to open an acc't?


I have spoken with the DirectExpress Debit Card people and they can set that up for me but the processing time is 2-3 months. Hence the need for the immediate IDD bank account.

Am also familiar with the ACA/SDFCU but didn't go ahead, thinking the IDD option would move faster.

Your thoughts?

BKK Phil
I don't know for sure but they seem like they can do it quickly. I was having trouble where the bank was going to close my account. I contacted them and it sounded like the paper work would be done immediately and the only wait would be for the SS to change the direct deposit banks on their end. That will happen no matter what bank you switch to. There will be an additional wait with the Cambodian bank because you will have to wait for the check to clear also which could take months.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
BKK Phil
Tourist
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Contact:
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by BKK Phil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 am

beaker wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am
BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Hello beaker:

I am still here in Chiang Mai, and have been looking into these issues since November--with not too much help, I must say, from the SSA FBU Unit in Manila.

Due to my departure date from Thailand 5 April, I must arrive in PP and get the direct-deposit (IDD) acc't set up in time for 1 May to collect the next month's pension.

I have been directed to the Cambodia Public Bank to open the IDD account--would you agree with that choice? What are their requirements to open an acc't?


I have spoken with the DirectExpress Debit Card people and they can set that up for me but the processing time is 2-3 months. Hence the need for the immediate IDD bank account.

Am also familiar with the ACA/SDFCU but didn't go ahead, thinking the IDD option would move faster.

Your thoughts?

BKK Phil
I don't know for sure but they seem like they can do it quickly. I was having trouble where the bank was going to close my account. I contacted them and it sounded like the paper work would be done immediately and the only wait would be for the SS to change the direct deposit banks on their end. That will happen no matter what bank you switch to. There will be an additional wait with the Cambodian bank because you will have to wait for the check to clear also which could take months.
beaker:

That's where the SSA's FBU office in Manila comes in. And they don't communicate well.

They gave me an option a few days ago to request interim payments via U.S. Treasury (paper) checks MAILED to my Cambodian address--which sounds like a recipe for disaster. And your point about check clearing is spot on.

Furthermore, I am leery of trusting local banks: what if rules change all of a sudden? That's why I will set up the DirectExpress Debit Card system as fast as I can (2-3 months) to free myself from this uncertainty.

Do you know anyone who has used the hard-copy check system in Cambo?

BKK Phil
User avatar
beaker
Expatriate
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am
Reputation: 94
Location: Ta Khmao
Cambodia

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by beaker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am

BKK Phil wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 am
beaker wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am
BKK Phil wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Hello beaker:

I am still here in Chiang Mai, and have been looking into these issues since November--with not too much help, I must say, from the SSA FBU Unit in Manila.

Due to my departure date from Thailand 5 April, I must arrive in PP and get the direct-deposit (IDD) acc't set up in time for 1 May to collect the next month's pension.

I have been directed to the Cambodia Public Bank to open the IDD account--would you agree with that choice? What are their requirements to open an acc't?


I have spoken with the DirectExpress Debit Card people and they can set that up for me but the processing time is 2-3 months. Hence the need for the immediate IDD bank account.

Am also familiar with the ACA/SDFCU but didn't go ahead, thinking the IDD option would move faster.

Your thoughts?

BKK Phil
I don't know for sure but they seem like they can do it quickly. I was having trouble where the bank was going to close my account. I contacted them and it sounded like the paper work would be done immediately and the only wait would be for the SS to change the direct deposit banks on their end. That will happen no matter what bank you switch to. There will be an additional wait with the Cambodian bank because you will have to wait for the check to clear also which could take months.
beaker:

That's where the SSA's FBU office in Manila comes in. And they don't communicate well.

They gave me an option a few days ago to request interim payments via U.S. Treasury (paper) checks MAILED to my Cambodian address--which sounds like a recipe for disaster. And your point about check clearing is spot on.

Furthermore, I am leery of trusting local banks: what if rules change all of a sudden? That's why I will set up the DirectExpress Debit Card system as fast as I can (2-3 months) to free myself from this uncertainty.

Do you know anyone who has used the hard-copy check system in Cambo?

BKK Phil
with the ACA you give them your info and they deal with the SSA afaik

I would communicate directly with ACA via email they can answer all your questions.

I don't trust the banks here either it's sketchy enough just having to use their ATMs
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Ravensnest
Expatriate
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:42 pm
Reputation: 20
United States of America

Re: U.S. Social Security Direct Deposit account for pensioner

Post by Ravensnest » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:34 am

I do not know how the treasury sends the checks, but I've had 4 documents mailed to me in PP with standard USPS mail. Each mailing cost $50 and I never received a one. So I would not choose that option unless they can be sent fedex/ups
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post