Sending Apartment Agents Deposits w/o Seeing Apartment

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Sending Apartment Agents Deposits w/o Seeing Apartment

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

25th. Hmmm, not sure if that means you have been a good lad all year, or very very naughty.

Santa - "and for you, Brazz... Cambodia"
chuckle
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sure it's ok to use an agent.

But you're better off waiting till you get here.

I'd say go for the cheaper option. Your employment/income situation could change in the future. Wouldn't want to be locked in to a high rent unnecessarily.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:15 am Hey B Braz, Toul Kok is very nice. The agent may be good if recommended by the school. - but you can still get stuck with a less than optimum apartment. Just me, but i like to see all the micro-factors which the real estate agents pay little attention to. Micro climate, neighbours, traffic, garden, local trees, views, micro-neighbourhood, vibe, etc. ghosts? chuckle.
Best of luck. How long before you arrive?
Nothing much different with Tuol Kork than other parts of the city, but I have noticed an uptick with shootings over that way recently.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tarndog wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:14 am I have noticed an uptick with shootings over that way recently.
Yeah well, i would never live there myself. They have lightning strikes there too.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:49 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:15 am Hey B Braz, Toul Kok is very nice. The agent may be good if recommended by the school. - but you can still get stuck with a less than optimum apartment. Just me, but i like to see all the micro-factors which the real estate agents pay little attention to. Micro climate, neighbours, traffic, garden, local trees, views, micro-neighbourhood, vibe, etc. ghosts? chuckle.
So its ok to use an agent?
I can't decide between a $700 with pool and gym or $500 w/o pool and gym and just join a gym.

I'm arriving December 25th more or less.
Usually the gyms at apartment buildings are pretty shitty. So if you don't plan to use the pool often, I would say go with the cheaper apartment and just get a gym membership.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:39 am
BrazilBoy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:49 am
So its ok to use an agent?
I can't decide between a $700 with pool and gym or $500 w/o pool and gym and just join a gym.

I'm arriving December 25th more or less.
Usually the gyms at apartment buildings are pretty shitty. So if you don't plan to use the pool often, I would say go with the cheaper apartment and just get a gym membership.
My thoughts exactly; I've lived in apartments with gyms and they usually suck. The pool means nothing to me.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

The Place Gym has a brach in Toul Kork. I can't say I've ever been there but their BKK1 gym is really nice.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, want to buy a river bed? I know one, nearly dry, great to build your own place.

Seriously, never, and I mean never, rent a place here without seeing it by yourself, and visiting it a few times a day to check out whether.....

- The entrance is blocked with a night market set up at night
- The temple 200 meters away will blast all kinds of sounds your way every 10 days or so
- The coffee shop downstairs turns into a loud place at night
- The walls are already cracking
- etc etc

Go and see the place, and then check the place and the environment out again at night. If OK, commit one or two days later.

Hotels / guesthouses can be had for a lot less than 50 bucks a night. About the Tuol Kork area, keep in mind it's a residential area with very little to do after work (for foreigners at least).
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

The real estate scene in Cambodia is soon to undergo a very fundamental change.
Unless you have been following these things closely, you would not have noticed that the huge American Global Real Estate Agency, Keller Williams, has quietly moved in to Phnom Penh in the past 12 months and been recruiting staff for their Cambodia operation.

Just use your search engine of choice to check out Keller Williams.

Several other large international real estate agencies have also moved in to Cambodia and are basing themselves in Phnom Penh too.

Do not underestimate the value of the overseas Khmer Diaspora professional classes in France, USA, Australia and Canada and elsewhere seeking long term investment in property and broad acre/hectares in Cambodia.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic