Relationship options for the over 50's?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by vladimir » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Any country that makes men think twice about marriage - for any reason whatsoever - has my respect.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11496
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2866
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

JBTrain wrote:
Sailorman wrote:Friends of mine made arrangements and flew to Sri Lanka to get an official marriage .
No locally approved free to marry affadavit required?
MY gf has already negotiated this for us, BUT to legalize it in Thailand it needs to be authorized/notarized by the Cambodia embassy an they wont,

Singapore on the other hand does not ( according to my research) does not need the notarization BUT u need stay there 2 days an than one of you needs remain in Singapore for 14 days. After that time the partner returns and Than u can register the marriage as legal
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Joker Poker
Expatriate
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Reputation: 126

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Joker Poker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:10 pm

vladimir wrote:Any country that makes men think twice about marriage - for any reason whatsoever - has my respect.
Hat tip to that!
Gaudente
Expatriate
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Gaudente » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:30 pm

jah steu wrote:
flying chicken wrote:where foreign men over 50 required a certain amount of income which is more than the Cambodian Prime Minister salary.
I think the $2,500 per month income requirement is for men under 50. Those over 50 cannot marry a local woman. Though I'd guess there are ways around this.
that's great ! this way you can drag on a girlfriend relationship without ever rotting it into marriage :thumb:
Drifter
Expatriate
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:21 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Drifter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:51 pm

dont marry.

she will decrease sex over time, she will endlessly ask you money for her greedy family, she will play any sort of shit and tricks to grab more resources, you'll be her personal ATM and will be squeezed like a lemon and thrown away once you're dry.

still think "but she's different !!" ?
don't be that guy.
flying chicken
Expatriate
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by flying chicken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Are you talking about yourself Drifter? Many Khmer-barang relationship failed because they chose the bar, massage girls, gold digger types and their youthful looks. There was no love from the start so it's predictable. But at the same time I also see a few healthy Khmer-barang relationships too simply because the love is genuine.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Drifter
Expatriate
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:21 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Drifter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

flying chicken wrote:Are you talking about yourself Drifter? Many Khmer-barang relationship failed because they chose the bar, massage girls, gold digger types and their youthful looks. There was no love from the start so it's predictable. But at the same time I also see a few healthy Khmer-barang relationships too simply because the love is genuine.
actually i've the utmost respect for bargirls and gold diggers, apart for a few bad apples they tend to be pretty honest and straightforward about their price, TCO, ROI, etc ... what you see is more or less what you get as long as you know the score and you're not fresh off the boat.

with a wife, and especially with a typical bitchy western wife, it's just a financial black hole, no matter if it all looks good for the first few years, ultimately you're fucked.

as for love, not all us are seeking true love, many of us are OK with just a girlfriend that doesn't make a mess of our life and doesn't scream or ask money at every opportunity.

i'm more and more convinced all these barangs end up being fucked royally because they can't hold their frame and they're not bold enough with women in general, by domino effect they end up attracting and being the easy pray of the worst predators and rapacious gold diggers, so in many ways i'm sorry but they can only blame themselves.

it's full of nasty bargils who would sell their own mother for a snort of coke or some yaba but there also many others who end up marrying a good barang and make a family overseas without the whole drama and mess you hear in the usual horror stories.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 6

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:12 am

General Mackevili wrote:That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
The announcement for a wedding is supposed to and almost always made days in advance so the village/neighborhood knows. It is illegal and fines are heavy when the police show up and you don't have a marriage license . It sounds messed up , but you are not at all allowed to have a wedding sans the license. Engagement ceremonies with monks and all are fine.

I asked the Fiancee if we could just have a shotgun wedding out in here province. I figured how bad could it be, no announcements, just a tent and some backyard drinking/eating. The wife said absolutely not.

OrangeDragon's love wife gave us the same advice along with many other Khmers. Fiancee's step father is a low level , non traffic police and he too said it would be a very bad idea. They will shut your wedding down.

Of course there are always stories, some true too, about exceptions to the rule.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
User avatar
0to60
Expatriate
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:41 pm
Reputation: 0
Cambodia

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by 0to60 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:21 am

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
The announcement for a wedding is supposed to and almost always made days in advance so the village/neighborhood knows. It is illegal and fines are heavy when the police show up and you don't have a marriage license . It sounds messed up , but you are not at all allowed to have a wedding sans the license. Engagement ceremonies with monks and all are fine.

I asked the Fiancee if we could just have a shotgun wedding out in here province. I figured how bad could it be, no announcements, just a tent and some backyard drinking/eating. The wife said absolutely not.

OrangeDragon's love wife gave us the same advice along with many other Khmers. Fiancee's step father is a low level , non traffic police and he too said it would be a very bad idea. They will shut your wedding down.

Of course there are always stories, some true too, about exceptions to the rule.
You probably wouldn't have that problem in PP, versus a small village where everyone knows everything that's happening.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am
Reputation: 6

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:44 pm

0to60 wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
The announcement for a wedding is supposed to and almost always made days in advance so the village/neighborhood knows. It is illegal and fines are heavy when the police show up and you don't have a marriage license . It sounds messed up , but you are not at all allowed to have a wedding sans the license. Engagement ceremonies with monks and all are fine.

I asked the Fiancee if we could just have a shotgun wedding out in here province. I figured how bad could it be, no announcements, just a tent and some backyard drinking/eating. The wife said absolutely not.

OrangeDragon's love wife gave us the same advice along with many other Khmers. Fiancee's step father is a low level , non traffic police and he too said it would be a very bad idea. They will shut your wedding down.

Of course there are always stories, some true too, about exceptions to the rule.
You probably wouldn't have that problem in PP, versus a small village where everyone knows everything that's happening.
I think a wedding in the middle of a Phnom Penh street might be more noticed than in the countryside, that is just me applying the bit of common sense I have left. :) You could be right. I do however know for a fact that it is big trouble to have a wedding without a marriage license here.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CEOCambodiaNews, Peter Taylor and 128 guests