ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2902
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 490
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by cptrelentless » Mon May 09, 2016 3:17 pm

100,000 is the biggest but I've never been given one, only 50,000s. Apparently you have to ask the bank for them, which seems pointless. Why not circulate them?
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 11329
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 2073
United States of America

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by frank lee bent » Mon May 09, 2016 4:12 pm

they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13835
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2036
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm

frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
bolueeleh
Expatriate
Posts: 4440
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 am
Reputation: 813
Location: anywhere with cheap bonks

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by bolueeleh » Mon May 09, 2016 4:31 pm

had to pay tax at the tax office in riel, what a hassle that was.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1157
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by hanno » Mon May 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13835
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2036
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon May 09, 2016 4:49 pm

hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
:lol: did they count every note or did they take your word for it? :P
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1157
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by hanno » Mon May 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
:lol: did they count every note or did they take your word for it? :P
So, the man of the house (a policeman no less) met me to show me the bike, a Honda Cub 50cc. Walked around it, kicked the tires and pretended I knew what I was doing. As soon as it came to money, he disappeared and the wifey entered the equation.

Of course she did not take my word for it and she proceeded to count, and check, every single bill. It went something like 1, 2, 3, .. 475, 476, 477, ooops, missed one, start all over again. It took about 4 hours to count, and recount, the money...

On a plus note: the best bike I ever owned and I sold it 2 years later for USD 1,2000. In USD.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13835
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 2036
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon May 09, 2016 5:14 pm

hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
hanno wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:they are not changing the money free of charge.
this pharmacy was discussed extensively on the sv fb group and all agreed it is a scam.

the staff went and changed my dollars for me and didnt charge me
People complain about anything on facebook, its not a scam if you go in there and pay in Riel like they have posters all over the shop saying they only accept Riel,
if paying for something in the countries local currency is all people have to complain and worry about... 1st world problems... :facepalm:

i do think using $ for big transactions is much more practical though aye
Bought my first motorbike in Vietnam 21 years ago. USD 1,000 in VN Dong with the largest note being VND 5,000 = 2,000 bank notes........
:lol: did they count every note or did they take your word for it? :P
So, the man of the house (a policeman no less) met me to show me the bike, a Honda Cub 50cc. Walked around it, kicked the tires and pretended I knew what I was doing. As soon as it came to money, he disappeared and the wifey entered the equation.

Of course she did not take my word for it and she proceeded to count, and check, every single bill. It went something like 1, 2, 3, .. 475, 476, 477, ooops, missed one, start all over again. It took about 4 hours to count, and recount, the money...

On a plus note: the best bike I ever owned and I sold it 2 years later for USD 1,2000. In USD.
Sounds painful! :please:
good return on the bike though! :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 110

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by Luigi » Mon May 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Personally I like using US$. Ez to carry.I thought I had a 50K Riel note or two before. Still not that large of denomination. Even Khmer looked at it suspiciously.

Someone explain to me how using Riel is better for the Cambodian economy.
FFS. I have a bushel basket of 100R notes. Still better than getting coins.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2870
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 753
New Zealand

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Luigi wrote: I have a bushel basket of 100R notes. Still better than getting coins.
Hell yea! Coins are a right pain in the pocket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post