Is it legal for a foreigner to carry a weapon

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Is it legal for a foreigner to carry a weapon

Post by StroppyChops »

You can buy a Mace-equivalent at most larger pharmacies. Technically they're illegal to carry, too, but you won't ever be bothered for doing so. However, don't buy one that looks like it's ex-military or ex-police stock, they have been recalled as the concentration of capsaicin was way too high and did some lasting damage to people when deployed in training by the police. It is believed the recalled stock was then appropriated for private sale. Also, don't leave them lying around as most locals don't know what they are, and one of our tenants managed to get the children at her school to mace themselves.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've seen it on sale in quite a few places. I'm not so sure it's an effective weapon in many circumstances though. It's quite likely that you'll end up spraying yourself inadvertently too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 pm I've seen it on sale in quite a few places. I'm not so sure it's an effective weapon in many circumstances though. It's quite likely that you'll end up spraying yourself inadvertently too.
I've got a tazer that is well disguised as an iPhone - it's tucked away in a cupboard as I'm too scared to leave it lying around, I just know I'll taze myself with it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

born2race wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 pm As a young female foreigner here, what can I legally carry to protect myself in self defense? What does Cambodia classify as weapons?
anything from the shooting range should satisfy.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I think we have been brainwashed into thinking that commercially made products of pepper sprays etc, are all that are available . Look on any supermarket shelve and you will see a large range of cleaning sprays that will stop an attacker just as quick as any pepper sprays, if they are sprayed into the eyes. Also the supermarket products are cheaper and quite legal to carry around.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
born2race
Tourist

Post by born2race »

Where I'm from mace and stun guns are ok to carry. Since pepper spray is not "harmful to their health" it seem not to apply to Article 225. I have a Khmer neighbor that is harassing me and I just need to make sure I can protect myself but stay out of jail at the same time.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

^In that case you may want to deal with it in a different manner.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

None of these laws are written in stone, and it's up to the discretion of the local law enforcement to determine the blame. This may not always go in your favor.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm None of these laws are written in stone, and it's up to the discretion of the local law enforcement to determine the blame. This may not always go in your favor.
This. If your neighbor has the right contacts, you could hit him with a wet sponge and get charged with carrying a deadly weapon. I would tread carefully.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Speak to your commune chief. It will cost a bit, but you won't end up in jail/dead.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic