Kampong Thom or Kampong Cham(temples)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Kampong Thom or Kampong Cham(temples)

Post by Gator »

I'm a temple junkie. I've got a couple days to kill coming up and am planning to check out either KC or KT. Does anybody have a favorite they'd recommend out of those two, for seeing temple sites? Thanks in advance!
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampong Thom or Kampong Cham(temples)

Post by yongchi »

Kampong Cham has a nice riverfront. Good to relax for a few days. Wat Hanchey, is about 20 km out of town on a hill, overlooking the Mekong with some great views.
You need your own transport or rent a moto.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampong Thom or Kampong Cham(temples)

Post by Pizzalover »

I visit Nokor Bachey temple in Kompong Cham.
Here is the location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nokor ... 105.439758

You can visit it easily, it is an ok walk from the center. The temple is very well used by the community and I found the alterations very interesting.

For temples Kompong Thom is much better imho. Sambor Prei Ku is a must and one of what one might call the big 6 or 7 major sites in Cambodia. For me a must but we are all different with our tastes. You need a motorbike taxi. I went shortly before sunrise and had the place for myself and it was nicely cool. The ticket office opens at 8 AM but it was not issue. The motorbike guy just got me there when I was done and I paid my contribution.

The place is also a spring board for Preah Khan. It is about 10 yrs since I went and much must have changed about roads, villages etc. Just do it. Ver y worthwhile. Be careful with the snakes. Some parts of the area are cobra central.

If I were to make a choice between the two: K.T. for the temples, K.C. if you privilege a nicer town (and better food).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic