How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 12091
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 3060
Tokelau

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Back on topic - surely the issue is whether your girlfriend is healthy and happy. Sure, she doesn't need to be thin, and we all put on a bit of weight as we get older, but it's easier to put on weight than take it off.
A male member of my Khmer family has a weight problem. He does some sport, but struggles with his weight. Talking to him about it, I realised that he has no idea about nutrition or empty calories. He has stopped drinking soft drinks, so that's good, but he doesn't consider that the banana shakes, the iced coffees, and the fried snacks that Cambodians love, are actually food. Not just in Cambodia, but everywhere, the easiest way to put on weight without noticing are soft drinks, milkshakes and snack foods.
This guy was also very poor when he was a child and never had enough to eat. He used to be a skinny kid, but as he climbs the social ladder, he is putting on weight. When we talk about it - he asks my advice sometimes - I try to put the emphasis on his health and tell him he needs to stay healthy for his kids. However, I think he is more concerned with being a hansum guy. Lol. We are all the same. :plus1:
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 970
Location: Kent, UK
Great Britain

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Yerg »

Arget wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:29 am
Mishmash wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:06 am
That's the Belgium Health Minster? Really? You gotta be kidding...
Image
Fucking hilarious...
Exactly.... laughter is the best medicine and her government post encourages girth..............
FTFY
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1148
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Mishmash »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 am
You know her? You know she eats heaps of food? Do you want to learn English from someone who never speaks a word of English in real life?
You have no idea what she did. She helped out a lot of people. Because she knew what was needed. She is not a politician. She is and always stayed a doctor. That’s why she is loved by so many.
I know OF her obviously. The lady is famous and returns 11 million hits on a search.

Does she eat heaps of food? Well she takes in more calories than she burns - scientific facts and I don't argue with scientifically proven facts.

It's impossible to maintain that level of weight without eating heaps - come on now basic science everyone learns at high school.

I have never met her personally, and have already stated her 'lifestyle choice' is her own affair.

Helped a lot of people - I agree totally - beyond dispute.

Not a politician - Really?? Holds positions in Government?? Not a politician - please read her bio.

Maggie Celine Louise De Block (born 28 April 1962) is a Belgian politician. She is a member of the Flemish liberal party Open Vld. She is the Minister of Social Affairs and Health since 2014 serving under the Charles Michel government.

In 2013 and 2014, she was voted the most popular politician in Flanders. In February 2015, she was voted the most popular politician in Belgium, being the most popular in all three regions.

Critics have said that she does not set the right example as Health Minister due to her obesity and contracting type two diabetes, and she has answered that "I know I'm not a model but you have to see what's inside, not the packaging.

Popular and loved - beyond dispute.

Next we'll be having bankrupts as Finance Ministers.

Is she fat - YES. Is she a Land Whale - Absolutely!!
User avatar
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 pm
Reputation: 245
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by whiteribbon »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 am
whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 am
You know her? You know she eats heaps of food? Do you want to learn English from someone who never speaks a word of English in real life?
You have no idea what she did. She helped out a lot of people. Because she knew what was needed. She is not a politician. She is and always stayed a doctor. That’s why she is loved by so many.
I know OF her obviously. The lady is famous and returns 11 million hits on a search.

Does she eat heaps of food? Well she takes in more calories than she burns - scientific facts and I don't argue with scientifically proven facts.

It's impossible to maintain that level of weight without eating heaps - come on now basic science everyone learns at high school.

I have never met her personally, and have already stated her 'lifestyle choice' is her own affair.

Helped a lot of people - I agree totally - beyond dispute.

Not a politician - Really?? Holds positions in Government?? Not a politician - please read her bio.

Maggie Celine Louise De Block (born 28 April 1962) is a Belgian politician. She is a member of the Flemish liberal party Open Vld. She is the Minister of Social Affairs and Health since 2014 serving under the Charles Michel government.

In 2013 and 2014, she was voted the most popular politician in Flanders. In February 2015, she was voted the most popular politician in Belgium, being the most popular in all three regions.

Critics have said that she does not set the right example as Health Minister due to her obesity and contracting type two diabetes, and she has answered that "I know I'm not a model but you have to see what's inside, not the packaging.

Popular and loved - beyond dispute.

Next we'll be having bankrupts as Finance Ministers.

Is she fat - YES. Is she a Land Whale - Absolutely!!
Shouldn’t be responding to trolls. Doubt you've even passed high school cause the things you're disputing are basic knowledge.
just noise, white noise
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 12091
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 3060
Tokelau

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Anchor Moy »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:45 am
Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 am
whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 am
You know her? You know she eats heaps of food? Do you want to learn English from someone who never speaks a word of English in real life?
You have no idea what she did. She helped out a lot of people. Because she knew what was needed. She is not a politician. She is and always stayed a doctor. That’s why she is loved by so many.
I know OF her obviously. The lady is famous and returns 11 million hits on a search.

Does she eat heaps of food? Well she takes in more calories than she burns - scientific facts and I don't argue with scientifically proven facts.

It's impossible to maintain that level of weight without eating heaps - come on now basic science everyone learns at high school.

I have never met her personally, and have already stated her 'lifestyle choice' is her own affair.

Helped a lot of people - I agree totally - beyond dispute.

Not a politician - Really?? Holds positions in Government?? Not a politician - please read her bio.

Maggie Celine Louise De Block (born 28 April 1962) is a Belgian politician. She is a member of the Flemish liberal party Open Vld. She is the Minister of Social Affairs and Health since 2014 serving under the Charles Michel government.

In 2013 and 2014, she was voted the most popular politician in Flanders. In February 2015, she was voted the most popular politician in Belgium, being the most popular in all three regions.

Critics have said that she does not set the right example as Health Minister due to her obesity and contracting type two diabetes, and she has answered that "I know I'm not a model but you have to see what's inside, not the packaging.

Popular and loved - beyond dispute.

Next we'll be having bankrupts as Finance Ministers.

Is she fat - YES. Is she a Land Whale - Absolutely!!
Shouldn’t be responding to trolls. Doubt you've even passed high school cause the things you're disputing are basic knowledge.
Err, you guys are totally off topic, so it would be totally awesome if you wanted to start a new thread somewhere else about fat Belgian politicians. :please:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1148
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Mishmash »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:45 am
Shouldn’t be responding to trolls. Doubt you've even passed high school cause the things you're disputing are basic knowledge.
I see... Well - to quote you "Do you know me personally?" and my educational background or my CPD to back up these outrageous slanderous defamations :hattip: ?

Have I attacked you personally? No

Have I debated the scientific facts - sure.

Can you provide evidence to the contrary "Eating more calories than you burn off = fat = unhealthy = early death"?

Which facts from the peer reviewed Lancet are incorrect? Have you troubled to read them?

Is the lady fat or not? Straight answer?

I repeat my opinion which is she is not an ideal role model.

I have agreed with you on she is popular and helped a lot of people.

For 'Land Whale" it is a slang term used to describe morbidly obese people.

The rest is humor which I am sure she is used to and doesn't give a rat's ass about.
User avatar
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 pm
Reputation: 245
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by whiteribbon »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:06 am
whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:45 am
Shouldn’t be responding to trolls. Doubt you've even passed high school cause the things you're disputing are basic knowledge.
I see... Well - to quote you "Do you know me personally?" and my educational background or my CPD to back up these outrageous slanderous defamations :hattip: ?

Have I attacked you personally? No

Have I debated the scientific facts - sure.

Can you provide evidence to the contrary "Eating more calories than you burn off = fat = unhealthy = early death"?

Which facts from the peer reviewed Lancet are incorrect? Have you troubled to read them?

Is the lady fat or not? Straight answer?

I repeat my opinion which is she is not an ideal role model.

I have agreed with you on she is popular and helped a lot of people.

For 'Land Whale" it is a slang term used to describe morbidly obese people.

The rest is humor which I am sure she is used to and doesn't give a rat's ass about.
Clearly they don't want us to discuss this here but it's absolutely not true that ALL fat people eat too much or the opposite. You did attack me personally. I clearly learned very different things than you did.
I personally observed people on the complete opposite end of the spectrum for many years. It’s not always a lifestyle choice. But like I said before: it can be.
Oh and yes. She’s fat. I don’t dispute that. But it’s not a lifestyle choice and it doesn’t make here a bad health minister at all.
Last edited by whiteribbon on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
just noise, white noise
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 45410
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2847
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Asia's Growing Fat Problem :

OECD’s Futile Campaign Against Fat
October 14, 2019
By: John Berthelsen
A decade or so ago, an American tourist emerged from the tunnel to the old Star Ferry pier in Hong Kong, surveyed the teeming crowds and asked: “Where are all the fat people?”

Well, now they’re here. And not only here but thronging the world, according to a study by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which was released last week and which determined that more than half the people in 34 of the 36 OECD countries are overweight, and almost one in four of those people are obese.

Another study by the Hong Kong government shows that those obese in the territory has risen by 30 percent over the past 10 years for ages 15 to 84. A full 50 percent of the 6.5 million inhabitants are overweight or obese. In China itself, between 1985 and 2014, obesity in rural Chinese boys has grown from 0.03 percent to 17.2 percent, with obesity in for girls climbing from 0.12 percent to 9.1 percent. Urban Chinese boys aged 6 are 2.5 inches taller and 6.6 pounds heavier than 30 years ago.

Sadly that plays against a backdrop of evidence that the numbers of hungry people are growing, with 821 million people starving or suffering from malnutrition, according to The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2018. After plateauing in 2011, malnutrition has once again begun to rise, particularly in South America and most regions of Africa, while the decreasing trend in undernourishment that characterized Asia seems to be slowing significantly. Another 150 million children are said to be stunted from malnutrition.
https://www.asiasentinel.com/society/oe ... ainst-fat/
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1148
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Mishmash »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:12 am You did attack me personally.
Please post that and I will apologize - I can't find it.

As suggested by @Anchor Moy we can open a new thread about fat Belgium politicians.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1148
Cambodia

Re: How do I get my Cambodian girlfriend to WANT to be thin?

Post by Mishmash »

Back on topic.

My missus did get a little buddha stomach after the kids were born.

Her ass went slightly wider, and I started to notice she was taking up more bed space.

When she complained about something or other - some female problem that dimly echoes in my male primitive brain as not relevant to hunting food or being devoured by wild animals - ignore factor 11 - I just passed an off the cuff remark - that's because you're fat - eat less, exercise more.

We laughed...

Now every-time she comes and says she's lost a kilo it's off to the bedroom. I'm sure she is just making it up but never mind.

My real opinion is my wife's body is her own to do with as she pleases.

If SHE wants to please ME by keeping trim and slim - that's totally up to her and I'm not going to say no.

If she doesn't well "hey ho hey ho - it's 136 we go..."

I'll still stick with her though..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nerdlinger and 370 guests