Hotel Check-in/out times

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Doc67 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:17 pm

I have a trip coming up which involves transiting through Manilla en route to Vancouver, but my arrival and departure times are horrible. I could end up paying for 5 nights for what is actually just two overnight sleeps.

The more I look at them, the worse they get.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to manage this, any tricks that I am missing?

Visit #1

I arrive in Manilla on 1 March at 04:40 so will arrive at the hotel about 06:00

I leave Manilla at 19:00 on the same day so will need my room until about 3pm

(They are going to want to charge for the previous night and might then want to empty the room by 12pm or it's an extra night)

Visit #2

I arrive in Manilla on Tuesday 28th April at 03:30 so will arrive at the hotel about 05:00

I leave Manilla on Thursday 30th April at 22:10 so will need the room until about 18:00

(Again, they are going to want to charge for the 27th/28th/29th and quite possibly the 30th because of the 6pm checkout.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11001
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2335
Tokelau

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Anchor Moy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Negociate with your hotel. In PP, I usually pay half a day for late check-out.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Doc67 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Negociate with your hotel. In PP, I usually pay half a day for late check-out.
I've emailed the hotel of choice twice... no reply. It seems that since automated booking sites and their own website booking page they have lost the ability to interact with potential customers.
BR549
Expatriate
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm
Reputation: 188
United States of America

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by BR549 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I often arrive somewhere at 10pm-12am.
I have to pay for the room as if I checked in at 2pm.
It sucks.
Then, I have to either check out 11am-12pm or pay for another night. I lived in Kampot and Sihanoukville and got to PP 10:30pm...booked at least 2 nights riverside.
I feel your pain.
You must try and contact the hotel manager..by phone if possible.
My question to you is..
How many nights did you make your reservations for?
If you did not book for 2 nights on both occasions; how do you know the rooms are even available the extra days?
I have had to travel back to the USA from Asia 8 times in the last 3 years.
Lately, I have tried to address this issue to save on hotels especially in my return to USA where a marginal room costs twice what a great room costs in Bangkok or PP.
I joined hotel.com and get 1 free room for every 10 I book. This came in handy a few times.
I have also had extreme layovers between flights and got day rooms at the airport...kind of expensive but better than sitting in Shanghai from 4am-12pm like I did a month ago.
I would call and speak to the manager.
She/he will speak English.
You better cover your ass and make sure you have reservations for the times you need.
You may be able to pay half a night..
Depends on the hotel's policy.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Reputation: 105
Cambodia

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by johnny lightning » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Did none of this occur to you when planning your flights? Should have picked another airline mate. As for trip 1, you may want to go to the airport at noon and spend the hotel cost on a business lounge. I used one in Manila last year and had 4 hours access for 25 bucks. Well worth it. Drank so much wine I almost missed my flight!

Johnny
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Doc67 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm

johnny lightning wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm
Did none of this occur to you when planning your flights? Should have picked another airline mate. As for trip 1, you may want to go to the airport at noon and spend the hotel cost on a business lounge. I used one in Manila last year and had 4 hours access for 25 bucks. Well worth it. Drank so much wine I almost missed my flight!

Johnny
It did. But I got a very cheap deal on Philippines Airlines biz class from PP to Vancouver ($1900) and couldn't resist. It's because of the poxy night flights from PP to MNL. Plus I get 2 x 23KG luggage which I'm gonna fill up with goodies. Plus I have free lounge access. Thanks for your reply.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2214
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Doc67 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm

BR549 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm
I often arrive somewhere at 10pm-12am.
I have to pay for the room as if I checked in at 2pm.
It sucks.
Then, I have to either check out 11am-12pm or pay for another night. I lived in Kampot and Sihanoukville and got to PP 10:30pm...booked at least 2 nights riverside.
I feel your pain.
You must try and contact the hotel manager..by phone if possible.
My question to you is..
How many nights did you make your reservations for?
If you did not book for 2 nights on both occasions; how do you know the rooms are even available the extra days?
I have had to travel back to the USA from Asia 8 times in the last 3 years.
Lately, I have tried to address this issue to save on hotels especially in my return to USA where a marginal room costs twice what a great room costs in Bangkok or PP.
I joined hotel.com and get 1 free room for every 10 I book. This came in handy a few times.
I have also had extreme layovers between flights and got day rooms at the airport...kind of expensive but better than sitting in Shanghai from 4am-12pm like I did a month ago.
I would call and speak to the manager.
She/he will speak English.
You better cover your ass and make sure you have reservations for the times you need.
You may be able to pay half a night..
Depends on the hotel's policy.
Just booked one night from 29th. If they sling me out at 12 I can fill a few hours with a massage and a nice lunch somewhere. It's trip #2 that is the real issue.

Good point about availability.

I just got a brain dead email from the hotel quoting me $77 for a room I just booked on bookings.com for $53. Hopeless.
When I get there I might try and have a sensible conversation with someone in charge.

Thanks for your reply
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2889
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1073
Cambodia

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by Kammekor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Or you could look for a hotel with 24 hour rooms.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 pm
Reputation: 357
Cambodia

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by armchairlawyer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm

I used airbnb last time I was in Manila. They have many studio apartments (at reasonable prices) just across the sky (pedestrian) bridge from the 4th(?) floor of Terminal 3.
The airbnb hosts are good at replying to messages.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am
Reputation: 120

Re: Hotel Check-in/out times

Post by rogerrabbit » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm
BR549 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm
I often arrive somewhere at 10pm-12am.
I have to pay for the room as if I checked in at 2pm.
It sucks.
Then, I have to either check out 11am-12pm or pay for another night. I lived in Kampot and Sihanoukville and got to PP 10:30pm...booked at least 2 nights riverside.
I feel your pain.
You must try and contact the hotel manager..by phone if possible.
My question to you is..
How many nights did you make your reservations for?
If you did not book for 2 nights on both occasions; how do you know the rooms are even available the extra days?
I have had to travel back to the USA from Asia 8 times in the last 3 years.
Lately, I have tried to address this issue to save on hotels especially in my return to USA where a marginal room costs twice what a great room costs in Bangkok or PP.
I joined hotel.com and get 1 free room for every 10 I book. This came in handy a few times.
I have also had extreme layovers between flights and got day rooms at the airport...kind of expensive but better than sitting in Shanghai from 4am-12pm like I did a month ago.
I would call and speak to the manager.
She/he will speak English.
You better cover your ass and make sure you have reservations for the times you need.
You may be able to pay half a night..
Depends on the hotel's policy.
Just booked one night from 29th. If they sling me out at 12 I can fill a few hours with a massage and a nice lunch somewhere. It's trip #2 that is the real issue.

Good point about availability.

I just got a brain dead email from the hotel quoting me $77 for a room I just booked on bookings.com for $53. Hopeless.
When I get there I might try and have a sensible conversation with someone in charge.

Thanks for your reply
You are flying in business so trip #1 shouldn't a problem since you get spent those extra hours in lounge enjoying drinks, food and perhaps massage. Also as long as the hotel is not full, they are totally ok if you stay hour or two longer. Just go talk to reception on the morning when you are leaving. Same thing on trip #2 except the arrival might be bit difficult. But if you are already spending $1900 for your flights, where does $53 for one extra night booking feel?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gilly and 121 guests