Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Re: Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Post by stupid-barang » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 am

Can confirm, I registered a newly imported (not new) Honda in my name. This was a year ago.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 am

atst wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm
Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
The bike shop just wants a sale they will tell you anything
I would be willing to bet that even if you got that in writing, and you couldn't get it registered in your name, they wouldn't honor it by giving you your money back

Just a hunch.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am

My question in the OP wasn't whether a foreigner can get a bike registered in his name, but rather, what would happen IF a foreigner got stopped riding a bike not registered in his own name.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Tarndog wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am
My question in the OP wasn't whether a foreigner can get a bike registered in his name, but rather, what would happen IF a foreigner got stopped riding a bike not registered in his own name.
The answer is nothing, provided the foreigner can produce the reg card..

Without any reg card, they could confiscate the bike, and require the registered owner claims it from impound, or any person that bought the motorbike from the registered owner (and has thumb-stamped bill of sale and copies of the registered owners national ID to prove it) comes to claim it.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 pm

AndyKK wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:22 am
epidemiks your quote -
so unless the law has changed again since 2018 it's still possible on a first registration.

Yes correct, But the moto would not have a plate (It would not display a plate in the shop). Until it was registered in the name of who was going to have the name of ownership. Also if the tax is not paid by whom it would not get registered.
Yes. If it has a plate, its already registered.. If it doesn't have a plate, it's not registered. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic