Buying the cow

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 855
Great Britain

Re: Buying the cow

Post by AndyKK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:20 am

Are they vindictive, spiteful, prone to rage? How do they react when angry? Are they greedy, impulsive, manipulative?

Sums up many Khmer women.

Ask the Khmer man about the subject. Also looking at a well groomed lady will turn out mostly expensive too. Then again why would they look at a foreigner.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
User avatar
RickyBobby
BANNED
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Reputation: 357
Cambodia

Re: Buying the cow

Post by RickyBobby » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:47 am

AndyKK wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:20 am
Are they vindictive, spiteful, prone to rage? How do they react when angry? Are they greedy, impulsive, manipulative?

Sums up many Khmer women.


Ask the Khmer man about the subject. Also looking at a well groomed lady will turn out mostly expensive too. Then again why would they look at a foreigner.
Just plainly sums up women. And really sums up people to be fair. But, it depends upon where you are drawing your ladies from. Some pools will have higher incidence of these attributes.

Khmer women will look at a foreigner for the overarching reason most any women select their mates. They simply want to choose the best available option for protector and provider. It just so happens that many Barang represent that to them. It doesn't hurt that many Khmer men don't want to work hard and don't treat women with the same respect that western men do.

Western women are no different. Try being a broke ass drunk in the west,
ain't nobody got time for that!
And if you are a successful man with a nice car and house and business, they will also line up at your door.

I have found that my Khmer ladies dreams are far easier to fulfill than any lady I dated in the west.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 855
Great Britain

Re: Buying the cow

Post by AndyKK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:22 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:47 am
AndyKK wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:20 am
Are they vindictive, spiteful, prone to rage? How do they react when angry? Are they greedy, impulsive, manipulative?

Sums up many Khmer women.


Ask the Khmer man about the subject. Also looking at a well groomed lady will turn out mostly expensive too. Then again why would they look at a foreigner.
Just plainly sums up women. And really sums up people to be fair. But, it depends upon where you are drawing your ladies from. Some pools will have higher incidence of these attributes.

Khmer women will look at a foreigner for the overarching reason most any women select their mates. They simply want to choose the best available option for protector and provider. It just so happens that many Barang represent that to them. It doesn't hurt that many Khmer men don't want to work hard and don't treat women with the same respect that western men do.

Western women are no different. Try being a broke ass drunk in the west,
ain't nobody got time for that!
And if you are a successful man with a nice car and house and business, they will also line up at your door.

I have found that my Khmer ladies dreams are far easier to fulfill than any lady I dated in the west.
Not disagreeing with your outlook of the fair practical situation.
One or two things come to mind. The well healed lady is in a situation of firstly being more wealthy in her own country than we could be. Also I think you may have mentioned family ties.
Then again there is the difference between Khmer impressions toword foreign people. If past a few hurdles and pressure that there is no loss of face, even distant freinds or people of the neighbourhood can cause bad feeling.
Quoting lining up at the door, possibly the wrong type. But there you know where you stand.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 10857
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2547
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Buying the cow

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

MY $.05 worth and experience, Khmers are far preferable to thai's

If ur really worried,...find an orphan
"Being intelligent is very important. Dont waste your time with a girl you cant have an intelligent conversation with."
FYI:
although NOT married, have been with the same Khmer lady for 9 years and i am not with her for her stimulating conversation.



If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

[Spoken:]
Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your wife the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ug-leeee!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
Yeah, alright!
:beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
TOG
Expatriate
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reputation: 280
Location: Yorkshire and Singapore
Singapore

Re: Buying the cow

Post by TOG » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Interesting reading all of these "Macho Men's" thought on what women are good for.

One day, your brains will move from your gonads to your head and you will realise that a women with an equal intellect, capable of good conversation with you, is priceless.

But by then you will be on your own and penniless.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 569

Re: Buying the cow

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:13 pm

To me, a wife isn’t a product or widget that one buys on Amazon after reading the customer reviews and comparing stars.

She’s your kindred spirit, your better half for life. Have I gotten it wrong in the past like these others? Yup? Have I paid dearly? Most certainly.

We share all decisions together, including those concerning her family. My dreams are her dreams and vice versa. Maybe if I was working for Cambodian wages then the odd $20 or so or more might be the death knell of the budget. But that’s part of why I work in the west.

Actually just spent almost everything in the bank because of this emergency. But she’s well worth it. It’s just money. I can make more and replace it. Missus is forever.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm
Reputation: 67
Australia

Re: Buying the cow

Post by Ot Mean Loi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Question:

Why buy the book when you can join the library?

There is always an updated edition coming along with new features.

OML
davegorman
BANNED
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 219
France

Re: Buying the cow

Post by davegorman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Duncan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm
Tarndog wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Ok ok. Probably a bad title, and in no way did I mean to offend Khmer women.

But seriously, my question is about getting married with a Khmer woman. I've heard dozens and dozens of horror stories, most which I accept as true.

Those stories horrify me. First, it'd be virtually impossible, if not impossible, to find her if she pulled a runner after getting the dowry. Second, can the Khmer pomp and circumstance (photos in queer clothing, obnoxiously loud music,l etc. ) be avoided?

Third, ensuring the wedding guests' offerings aren't mysteriously rejected.

If you get past that, what about day-to-day living? Had anyone who's done this been successful getting her family to butt out of your lives, or do they always seem to interfere? I would imagine it'd be virtually impossible for a Khmer girl/woman to go against her parents' instruction.

Well, have at it! I'm sure this community can give me oodles of helpful advice on what to do and what not to do.


Your not ready for marriage if you dont understand that your not marrying a Khmer girl/woman ,, your marrying a Khmer family.
Generally yes but not always true. (Apart from the odd $10 to her sister or $1 phone credit to her dad)

(And it’s “you’re” by the way)
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 3831
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 2176
Cambodia

Re: Buying the cow

Post by clutchcargo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Ot Mean Loi wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm
Question:

Why buy the book when you can join the library?

There is always an updated edition coming along with new features.

OML
Same same with buying/renting a car.. :beer3:
davegorman
BANNED
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am
Reputation: 219
France

Re: Buying the cow

Post by davegorman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Ot Mean Loi wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:47 pm
Question:

Why buy the book when you can join the library?

There is always an updated edition coming along with new features.

OML
Because most books have been well used or they’re overdue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ego bibere nimis, phuketrichard, talltuktuk, tathom and 114 guests