Thank God I’m Back in China

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 3226
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2634
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Great Britain

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by Doc67 »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am I can’t think of one good thing to say about Cambodia. If I were a whore mongerer or one of the garden variety Pub Street Barang losers I saw walking about, I’d probably say Cambodia was paradise.

What a shit hole that Learning Jungle/ Westview International School is - don’t Cambodian parents do any type of due-diligence? The fact that the school was nestled in a light industrial area would be enough to turn me away. The mindless chanting, lack of anything but rote learning and they can’t even get that right. I had 6th grade math students that couldn’t even do long division. That was literally the worst school I ever worked at. The leases that aren’t worth the paper they are written on; the high cost of living in a shit hole like PP ... thank God I’m back in China.

Cambodians need to be grateful for whatever the Chinese are giving them because from what I saw, whatever handouts they are getting from China is already too much. Cambodia really does need to bend a knee to the PRC because Cambodia is still in the “total shit hole” phase of its development. I’m guessing it will be in that phase for some time to come.
Not one?

You're still alive aren't you? Many fail that test.
Are you sick? No.
Have you had an experience that you will talk about for ages? It sounds like it.
Do you now have a much improved attitude and appreciation for where you used to live and have now retuned to? Oh yes!

And the airport works just fine.

You gave this place less than two months and couldn't hack it. Fair enough, some people can't. But bleating on here and calling where we live a shit hole and only fit for whoremongers and alcoholics just goes to show how little you discovered in your very short time here and is highly offensive actually.

You should think about that because when you first came on board our forum you were treated with respect and received honest advice as a newbie. You have repaid us with abuse.

I doubt anyone on here will have anything good to say about you now, and that says far more about you than it will ever say about us.

Good luck in China.
Last edited by Doc67 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
lostjeremy
Expatriate
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Reputation: 162

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by lostjeremy »

BB correct me if I'm mistaken but.....

I don't know anything about Westview personally but I was under the impression they were at Northbridge / ISPP standards.... all teachers must have at least a master's and be a certified teacher in their home country and must have a decent amount of experience in an IB setting.

I would have thought this would weed out at least 90% of teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom.

And since the tuition and fees are on par with NB and ISPP I would be irate as a parent if the quality is that low.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

BrazilBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 am
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by BrazilBoy »

lostjeremy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am BB correct me if I'm mistaken but.....

I don't know anything about Westview personally but I was under the impression they were at Northbridge / ISPP standards.... all teachers must have at least a master's and be a certified teacher in their home country and must have a decent amount of experience in an IB setting.

I would have thought this would weed out at least 90% of teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom.

And since the tuition and fees are on par with NB and ISPP I would be irate as a parent if the quality is that low.
They pay well for a 0-tier school in Cambodia, I’ll give them that. And honestly I know nothing about the kindergarten, which is on a completely different campus but where I was at was a total disaster and revolving door of teachers.

Before I even arrived, it was a shit-show. I’m a high school math and science teacher and that’s what they hired me for. After I purchased the tickets from Brazil on my own dime, they told me I’d be teaching grades 5 and 6. That right there shows they can’t run a school. Elementary and high school teachers are not interchangeable; admin that think they are just set teachers and students up for failure.

I could go on but what’s the point. Anyone who thinks this school is on par with ISPP or a Northbride run school is deluded but parents have no reason to be irate. It’s on them; it’s their fault. They obviously did no due diligence on behalf of their kids.

I say shame on the parents that send their kids to such schools.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 am
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by BrazilBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:48 am
BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am I can’t think of one good thing to say about Cambodia. If I were a whore mongerer or one of the garden variety Pub Street Barang losers I saw walking about, I’d probably say Cambodia was paradise.

What a shit hole that Learning Jungle/ Westview International School is - don’t Cambodian parents do any type of due-diligence? The fact that the school was nestled in a light industrial area would be enough to turn me away. The mindless chanting, lack of anything but rote learning and they can’t even get that right. I had 6th grade math students that couldn’t even do long division. That was literally the worst school I ever worked at. The leases that aren’t worth the paper they are written on; the high cost of living in a shit hole like PP ... thank God I’m back in China.

Cambodians need to be grateful for whatever the Chinese are giving them because from what I saw, whatever handouts they are getting from China is already too much. Cambodia really does need to bend a knee to the PRC because Cambodia is still in the “total shit hole” phase of its development. I’m guessing it will be in that phase for some time to come.
Not one?

You're still alive aren't you? Many fail that test.
Are you sick? No.
Have you had an experience that you will talk about for ages? It sounds like it.
Do you now have a much improved attitude and appreciation for where you used to live and have now retuned to? Oh yes!

And the airport works just fine.

You gave this place less than two months and couldn't hack it. Fair enough, some people can't. But bleating on here and calling where we live a shit hole and only fit for whoremongers and alcoholics just goes to show how little you discovered in your very short time here and is highly offensive actually.

You should think about that because when you first came on board our forum you were treated with respect and received honest advice as a newbie. You have repaid us with abuse.

I doubt anyone on here will have anything good to say about you now, and that says far more about you than it will ever say about us.

Good luck in China.
You are correct in all you say.
I’m just being a bitch but nonetheless do... [Mod edit: keep it civil]
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3607
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 762

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

lostjeremy wrote:BB correct me if I'm mistaken but.....

I don't know anything about Westview personally but I was under the impression they were at Northbridge / ISPP standards.... all teachers must have at least a master's and be a certified teacher in their home country and must have a decent amount of experience in an IB setting.

I would have thought this would weed out at least 90% of teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom.

And since the tuition and fees are on par with NB and ISPP I would be irate as a parent if the quality is that low.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
The school isn't at all ISPP level (I've never even heard of it before today), and I'm surprised people assume that. How much is tuition there anyways? I doubt it's remotely similar to ISPP/Northbridge, not is the pay. Either way, their website doesn't say. On top of that, their website is pretty shit (mobile version doesn't work for me, and even the desktop version is clunky. Never a good sign).

I'm sorry you were duped BB, but it does seem like your heart was never into it. Did you do enough research before coming over? Had you visited the country before? Were you and your wife adaptable enough? I feel from your posting history that you never had the right mindset and the whole affair was doomed for failure from the start. How much were they offering you? You say it was good enough for a move from China, so it must have been substantial, but maybe you weren't aware of living costs and average salaries here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
lostjeremy
Expatriate
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Reputation: 162

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by lostjeremy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:BB correct me if I'm mistaken but.....

I don't know anything about Westview personally but I was under the impression they were at Northbridge / ISPP standards.... all teachers must have at least a master's and be a certified teacher in their home country and must have a decent amount of experience in an IB setting.

I would have thought this would weed out at least 90% of teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom.

And since the tuition and fees are on par with NB and ISPP I would be irate as a parent if the quality is that low.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
The school isn't at all ISPP level (I've never even heard of it before today), and I'm surprised people assume that. How much is tuition there anyways? I doubt it's remotely similar to ISPP/Northbridge, not is the pay. Either way, their website doesn't say. On top of that, their website is pretty shit (mobile version doesn't work for me, and even the desktop version is clunky. Never a good sign).

I'm sorry you were duped BB, but it does seem like your heart was never into it. Did you do enough research before coming over? Had you visited the country before? Were you and your wife adaptable enough? I feel from your posting history that you never had the right mindset and the whole affair was doomed for failure from the start. How much were they offering you? You say it was good enough for a move from China, so it must have been substantial, but maybe you weren't aware of living costs and average salaries here.
I've seen their promo videos during the previews at Legend Cinema and it does look nice but that doesn't mean it is.
I know 1 teacher in the US who wasn't accepted because they had no IB experience even though they were teaching in the US for over a decade - masters, certified, etc.
Another person I know was offered $3500 salary but it wasn't enough for the work load involved.
Again I have no personal knowledge just second hand.

Tuition is https://westview.edu.kh/tuition-fee/






frizzie77
Expatriate
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm
Reputation: 220
Cambodia

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by frizzie77 »

An admin told me my attacks on BrazilBoy were like "character assassination" (in the nonsense thread of him possibly having the corona virus).
After that I said goodbye to this forum, but this thread screams for one more post.
Because when it comes to "character assassination" BrazilBoy is doing that by and to himself just fine.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 am
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by BrazilBoy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:19 pm
lostjeremy wrote:BB correct me if I'm mistaken but.....

I don't know anything about Westview personally but I was under the impression they were at Northbridge / ISPP standards.... all teachers must have at least a master's and be a certified teacher in their home country and must have a decent amount of experience in an IB setting.

I would have thought this would weed out at least 90% of teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom.

And since the tuition and fees are on par with NB and ISPP I would be irate as a parent if the quality is that low.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
The school isn't at all ISPP level (I've never even heard of it before today), and I'm surprised people assume that. How much is tuition there anyways? I doubt it's remotely similar to ISPP/Northbridge, not is the pay. Either way, their website doesn't say. On top of that, their website is pretty shit (mobile version doesn't work for me, and even the desktop version is clunky. Never a good sign).

I'm sorry you were duped BB, but it does seem like your heart was never into it. Did you do enough research before coming over? Had you visited the country before? Were you and your wife adaptable enough? I feel from your posting history that you never had the right mindset and the whole affair was doomed for failure from the start. How much were they offering you? You say it was good enough for a move from China, so it must have been substantial, but maybe you weren't aware of living costs and average salaries here.
I came from a Brazil, not China, so the salary was still less but not not as much less compared to a China salary. It was good enough for a semester and to explore an option. I guess I didn’t do my own due diligence; there were no really reviews on ISR. At least no one said they didn’t pay the salary; they paid me all my money but were unprofessional to the end.

I was getting $32,500 per year, free tuition for my kids plus completion bonuses. It’s enough to support a frugal family and even have some slim savings. Good enough for a semester and exploring Cambodia as an option. Just like we did in Brazil.

I gave my three months notice at the end of my second week and they terminated my contract after a month, the same day that I left school early with Corona virus symptoms and went to get tested. It was also within the probationary period of my contract so they were within their rights and they paid. For the record though, I gave my 3 months notice 2 weeks before they terminated me.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3607
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 762

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »


lostjeremy wrote:I've seen their promo videos during the previews at Legend Cinema and it does look nice but that doesn't mean it is.
I know 1 teacher in the US who wasn't accepted because they had no IB experience even though they were teaching in the US for over a decade - masters, certified, etc.
Another person I know was offered $3500 salary but it wasn't enough for the work load involved.
Again I have no personal knowledge just second hand.

Tuition is https://westview.edu.kh/tuition-fee/
It appears you're right (I saw that but didn't scroll all the way down on mobile site). A bit cheaper, but in line with ISPP. Still, I wonder why someone would send their child their when there are established schools with great facilities and a proven track record for essentially the same price.

BrazilBoy wrote: I came from a Brazil, not China, so the salary was still less but not not as much less compared to a China salary. It was good enough for a semester and to explore an option. I guess I didn’t do my own due diligence; there were no really reviews on ISR. At least no one said they didn’t pay the salary; they paid me all my money but were unprofessional to the end.

I was getting $32,500 per year, free tuition for my kids plus completion bonuses. It’s enough to support a frugal family and even have some slim savings. Good enough for a semester and exploring Cambodia as an option. Just like we did in Brazil.

I gave my three months notice at the end of my second week and they terminated my contract after a month, the same day that I left school early with Corona virus symptoms and went to get tested. It was also within the probationary period of my contract so they were within their rights and they paid. For the record though, I gave my 3 months notice 2 weeks before they terminated me.
Was accomodation provided? That's a decent salary, albeit a bit less than ISPP. As you say, free school for kids and completion bonus make it more than enough for a family. Yeah, it's a new school so nothing to go off of (nada on ISR or Glassdoor). Sometimes it's worth taking the plunge, though I would have assumed they would have paid for your flight from Brazil. I still feel like two weeks isn't long enough to know if you'll like it or not. Maybe you should have given it a month or two before making a final decision and at least recouping some money. Then again, I've had jobs where I knew very quickly I wanted out, so maybe it's not entirely fair. Job aside, it seems like you guys had trouble adapting to Cambodia in the little time you were here. Most international school teachers love the lifestyle it can afford them, so not sure what you're on about hookers by the Riverside and all that. I do feel one should always visit a country before working there. Those who do rarely have a bad experience. Granted, Brazil is far, but I would have chosen a different location had I been you (a country I'd visited and enjoyed, this wanting to know more and live there).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Reputation: 747
Marshall Islands

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by IraHayes »

You need to use the phrase “due diligence” a bit more. Or maybe move on to next months “phrase of the week”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andy1, J. Visiting, Peter22 and 82 guests