CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
User avatar
Joon
Expatriate
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 pm
Karma: 0
Location: M'Penh.
Cambodia

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Joon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Rain Dog wrote:
Joon wrote: Raindog, that's a good exercise but if you're gonna do that, you should quote what is relevant and actually showing that Hotdigr was not praising me because I'm a woman but because he approves of my posting style and intellectual approach:

Which, if I think is what you commended Nirvana and I for in the K440 thread.

I don't expect anybody to cut me slack because I'm a woman, but likewise I do expect that nobody will give me a hard time or refuse to acknowledge my merits because I'm a woman.

However, I won't lie. If some posters hadn't expressed their appreciation of my posts, I would've given up long ago and retreated into my shell. It lifted my spirits to know that somehow I'm doing something right. So my sincere, warm thanks to them, they know who they are.
Joon --- there is no need for me to go back and restate every point that has been made in every post. OD accused me having the sequence wrong. I went back and demonstrated to him that HE was wrong in his assertion by showing the chronology of the posts.

As to the comments I made on K440, absolutely I was positive towards your presentation of your argument. I thought you shredded Nirvana on that thread. I however felt no need to consider either of your genders nor did I feel the need to tell Nirvana to "hang in there" just because I thought you were winning your argument.

Sorry but if you want double standards based on gender, I am not the guy for that.

As to your last point -- sure everybody likes to get positive feedback sometimes --- but I am starting to think you are making a lot of drama over this.

"Retreated"? Why? because some people disagreed with you?

This is a largely un-moderated internet forum. You should expect to have your views challenged some times.
I accept for my views to be challenged, I don't accept wrong assumptions on my character. For you, this is just an Internet forum and you can be detached. For me, it is a platform of socialization with real people behind their screen names and I do invest time, energy, and yes, emotions. Some of my best buddies are people I befriended online and never met.
So what you see as drama is actually me using the only social platform that enables me to freely and almost completely express myself.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
User avatar
Rain Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:40 pm
Karma: 11

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Rain Dog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Joon wrote: I accept for my views to be challenged, I don't accept wrong assumptions on my characters. For you, this is just an Internet forum and you can be detached. For me, it is a platform of socialization with real people behind their screen names and I do invest time, energy, and yes, emotions. Some of my best buddies are people I befriended online and never met.
So what you see as drama is actually me using the only social platform that enables me to freely and almost completely express myself.
Fair enough. I have met people on these forums too but I enjoy forums as a venue to apply some critical thinking skills sometimes. Most forums can be a bit rough and tumble ---- sometimes Facebook is better for just warm & fuzzy social stuff (I personally refuse to use it).

Anyway, my only advice is to not take things too personally on forums like this ---- unless someone is REALLY attacking or harassing you. Other than some rude remarks from FC, I have seen no evidence of this. Even the criticisms that have been raised in the last 10 pages or so concern how people are giving you special treatment as a female poster rather than any specific thing YOU have done.

Question: Do you and Soi Dog have some type of bad history that is causing you to take this so personally?
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
User avatar
Joon
Expatriate
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 pm
Karma: 0
Location: M'Penh.
Cambodia

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Joon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 pm

I have no bad history with anyone whatsoever. The only bad history I have is with banned 440 posters in this very thread.

I actually think that Soi Dog is an intelligent and eloquent poster but blind-sided by his history with 440 and maybe a few other things I am not aware of.
I'm actually now not so certain about his gender but for the sake of simplicity I'll use masculine.
What bugs me is that his argument that the accolades given to my posting were motivated by my gender implies that my posting doesn't have the merits to warrant them.
And I take it personally when people accuse me of sucking up to the other forum out of fear, implying that I am some sort of social parvenu. I wouldn't care if it came from people I have no respect for whatsoever. It hits home when these are people I have some esteem for.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
User avatar
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Karma: 21
Nigeria

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Cowshed Cowboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:41 pm

I only responded once to the comment on my "Hang in there", but since Rain Dog keeps referring to it could I just add that we truly are in the era of political correctness where you have to choose your words so carefully to avoid people taking them out of context and implying something to suit their point. It would appear I'm a sexist without realising it, hell you learn something new every day so thanks for that.

All I can say Rain Dog is you're reading my comment incorrectly but I guess there's no way I can convince you otherwise on this occasion. No problem.
Never trust a man who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
User avatar
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Karma: 21
Nigeria

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Cowshed Cowboy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Rain Dog wrote:
Anyway, my only advice is to not take things too personally on forums like this ---- unless someone is REALLY attacking or harassing you. Other than some rude remarks from FC, I have seen no evidence of this. Even the criticisms that have been raised in the last 10 pages or so concern how people are giving you special treatment as a female poster rather than any specific thing YOU have done.
I was going to add that with the number of pages this thread has now reached and the various tangents that it veers on and off to every now and again, for the most part with relatively few exceptions it has done so without resorting to hurling gutter insults at people and has been interesting. Long may that continue across this board, it's a much nicer environment to be a part of.
Never trust a man who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 12282
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Karma: 174
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby General Mackevili » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:... for the most part with relatively few exceptions it has done so without resorting to hurling gutter insults at people and has been interesting. Long may that continue across this board, it's a much nicer environment to be a part of.
Amen!

I know shit has gotten a little heated, and a few uncalled insults have been thrown around, but for the most part, I feel there hasn't been that fucked up "negativity" we try hard to keep off CEO. You know, that hateful shit.

I started giving Joon a hard time a few million pages ago, she held her own and now she's getting genuine compliments thrown at her left and right, LoL.

And I believe this thread has been 100% self-moderated.

Kudos to you ALL!

:bow:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
User avatar
Hotdigr
Expatriate
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Karma: 51

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby Hotdigr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 am

Joon wrote:I have no bad history with anyone whatsoever. The only bad history I have is with banned 440 posters in this very thread.
Bloody woman. I am the first banned AND deleted K440 poster on this forum! And just when I thought.... sniff...sniff
Nah, all good Joon, just joshin ya!
But please don't tar us all with the same brush. Except for my one rant, I hold no animosity to any of them except KIR, who knows that by lying about what I said and by attacking my family, he deserves it, the weasel. And 1 day karma will catch up with him for that. Steve Morrish had nothing, believe me KIR.
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Karma: 2

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby ali baba » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 am

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:Anyway, my only advice is to not take things too personally on forums like this ---- unless someone is REALLY attacking or harassing you. Other than some rude remarks from FC, I have seen no evidence of this. Even the criticisms that have been raised in the last 10 pages or so concern how people are giving you special treatment as a female poster rather than any specific thing YOU have done.
I was going to add that with the number of pages this thread has now reached and the various tangents that it veers on and off to every now and again, for the most part with relatively few exceptions it has done so without resorting to hurling gutter insults at people and has been interesting. Long may that continue across this board, it's a much nicer environment to be a part of.
+100. This discussion has been very heated yet mostly polite. Good stuff. :thumb:
I have 1 criticism though. When quoting posts from different threads, let alone different sites, one should include a link to the original content so others can verify it is genuine and accurate. Otherwise people can make misleading claims by taking things out of context or subtly altering the quotes.
Scarier than malaria.
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 7
United States of America

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am

Rain Dog wrote:
Joon wrote: Raindog, that's a good exercise but if you're gonna do that, you should quote what is relevant and actually showing that Hotdigr was not praising me because I'm a woman but because he approves of my posting style and intellectual approach:

Which, if I think is what you commended Nirvana and I for in the K440 thread.

I don't expect anybody to cut me slack because I'm a woman, but likewise I do expect that nobody will give me a hard time or refuse to acknowledge my merits because I'm a woman.

However, I won't lie. If some posters hadn't expressed their appreciation of my posts, I would've given up long ago and retreated into my shell. It lifted my spirits to know that somehow I'm doing something right. So my sincere, warm thanks to them, they know who they are.
Joon --- there is no need for me to go back and restate every point that has been made in every post. OD accused me having the sequence wrong. I went back and demonstrated to him that HE was wrong in his assertion by showing the chronology of the posts.

As to the comments I made on K440, absolutely I was positive towards your presentation of your argument. I thought you shredded Nirvana on that thread. I however felt no need to consider either of your genders nor did I feel the need to tell Nirvana to "hang in there" just because I thought you were winning your argument.

Sorry but if you want double standards based on gender, I am not the guy for that.

As to your last point -- sure everybody likes to get positive feedback sometimes --- but I am starting to think you are making a lot of drama over this.

"Retreated"? Why? because some people disagreed with you?

This is a largely un-moderated internet forum. You should expect to have your views challenged some times.
You're right... I did have my page numbers off and I apologise. Though the first one was actually flying chicken...
Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 am:
flying chicken wrote:Joon, I know these guys are being rude and very mean...screw them! I, on the other hand sympathize you.
Though granted, pretty sure he was hitting on her.

And while you're right that there's no need to "restate every point" there IS a need to not PARTIALLY restate one (as you did in the case of the 1 point she was addressing) and do so in a way that makes it appear to be something it's not. Her point is that by simplifying it to "a breath of fresh air" it sounds like some patronizing "well isn't she cute" sort of complement when in fact is was more than that.
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 7
United States of America

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 am

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Selective memory? Then the only ones after that was Soi Dog attacking everyone for patronizing her because she was a chick (which they weren't... at least I wasn't), and people responding that it's NOT why they were doing it.
Please find me examples of where I attacked anyone for supporting anyone else in this thread.

I noticed a trend of patronizing some female posters on both forums going way back and I commented on it. Multiple glowing comments about Joon's posting were just the most recent example of that trend. Most of the praise of her was NOT about her multi-linguistic abilities, as i recall. I posed my observation initially as a question for discussion. People are free to disagree with my hypothesis. I didn't attack her. I only called out one cowardly poster who made accusations without posting backup evidence, which is pure scumbag behavior.
The following was essentially one large attack on many posters, with making a HEAP of assumptions about both what they did/didn't know and their motivations:
Soi Dog wrote: Many others seem to think that giving you a pat on the head and basically saying "well done, little Joonie, you stood your ground there. :thumb: " is appropriate.

This is not really an issue about you, anyway. This is a wider topic. You were just the obvious, recent example. This is really about the men here or there who feel the need to support or stand up for you, knowing that you are a woman. So chivalrous. And sorry, they did know you were a woman when they praised you so flatteringly. Show me any male poster who gets such glowing praise so repeatedly and from so many members. Even Cowshed Cowboy saw this dilemma and quickly added phuketrichard to his kudos list to try to balance things out at the last minute.


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Asinine Arena (Enter at Your Own Risk)”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: frank lee bent and 51 guests