Not More Beautiful: Police Raid Online Cosmetics Factory in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Not More Beautiful: Police Raid Online Cosmetics Factory in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Phnom Penh): On June 20, 2019, the police of the Department of Cyber-Crime, cracked down a factory producing Chinese cosmetic lotion illegally to sell on the internet in Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh.
The company has been named as Hong Thon Cosmetic co., Ltd, producing cosmetic lotions without a valid business license. The police surrounded the place for two days until the owner let them check inside the premises. The raid was led by Lieutenant Long Sreng, collaborated with Khan Meanchey police and coordinated by Mr. Keo Sokhun, the prosecutor of Phnom Penh court.

The police are checking the products, but have not yet determined what the products are supposed to do and do not know the ingredients. In the meantime, the products are illegal.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Not More Beautiful: Police Raid Online Cosmetics Factory in Phnom Penh

Post by Brody »

Look at this cheeky, pot-bellied, camera-hog.

He's not even a 1 star and he's taking all the glory.

Puff-puff give man, let some of your underlings get in some sweet pics for their Facebook accounts. It'll make the KTV girls swoon.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Brody wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm Look at this cheeky, pot-bellied, camera-hog.

He's not even a 1 star and he's taking all the glory.

Puff-puff give man, let some of your underlings get in some sweet pics for their Facebook accounts. It'll make the KTV girls swoon.

So nice that you have a thought for the rank and file, but the photos were probably chosen to get in good with the people that matter. :dm:
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

So what was the crime? Not having a business license, or making "illegal" substances?

The article said that they didn't know what the cosmetics did, but at the same time said they were illegal so...I'm confused.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

They didn’t let the cops in for two days. I wonder what they flushed away in that time.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

A10 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:18 pm So what was the crime? Not having a business license, or making "illegal" substances?

The article said that they didn't know what the cosmetics did, but at the same time said they were illegal so...I'm confused.
Maybe both. They say the company forgot to pay for their "business license", so that's the official reason, but surrounding the place for 2 days does seem a tad extreme if that was their only problem.
bartender3042
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bartender3042 »

From the tiny bit one can see in the photos, they were producing on a large commercial/small industrial scale. And there was nothing healthy in those blue containers (Generally Blue is the colour for containers with dangerous substances). So if used wrong, can be harmful to health.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

my wife has a bunch of these... the boxes with the flowers.

logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

ofparadise wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:31 am my wife has a bunch of these... the boxes with the flowers.

Could you post some "before" and "after" pictures?
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

bartender3042 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:12 pm From the tiny bit one can see in the photos, they were producing on a large commercial/small industrial scale. And there was nothing healthy in those blue containers (Generally Blue is the colour for containers with dangerous substances). So if used wrong, can be harmful to health.
A lot of dangerous substances (in high concentrations) are used to make household products (citric acid comes to mind), so I wouldn't immediately rule it as dangerous.

That being said, I wouldn't trust anything being packaged in a random house here as I've seen first hand what people will dump in food products to make a quick buck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic