Motos and licenses in Vietnam

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Motos and licenses in Vietnam

Post by willyhilly »

I am thinking of buying a 150cc moto in cambodia and driving into Vietnam. Is this possible and what sort of drivers licence is required. Alternatively buy a moto in Vietnam and later take it back to cambodia. What do people think?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Motos and licenses in Vietnam

Post by juansweetpotato »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm I am thinking of buying a 150cc moto in cambodia and driving into Vietnam. Is this possible and what sort of drivers licence is required. Alternatively buy a moto in Vietnam and later take it back to cambodia. What do people think?
you'd be much better off doing it the other way round. afaik the economic zone thing that allowed people to take cambo plated bikes across the border into Vietnam has stopped.
Buying a bike in Vietnam is cheaper and you just say you're coming to Cambodia on holiday. Ive never once been hassled about it from either side. i guess it may change one day, but I've been riding Viet plated bikes here for over 6 years now. never a problem so far. and i come and go to Vietnam with no problem and have done many times. Cambodia plated vehicle in Vietnam is a very different ball game, or so I've been told.

however, you won't be able to take it to Thailand unless its registered in your name which is virtually impossible to do in Vietnam.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

There have been a huge number of Khmer sending gray market bikes to Vietnam, and now unless you're already prearranged to have your bike's tax paid for and such, it's damn near impossible to get through unless they believe you wont sell your bike there.

Vietnam to Cambodia? No problem. I'm on a Viet Airblade now as we speak.
-insert signature here
LeesaJohnson
Expatriate

Post by LeesaJohnson »

It's good to have a license for driving, you just need to have a motor driving license.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic