Comparing Cambodia to South Africa

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Comparing Cambodia to South Africa

Post by rozzieoz »

We've just returned from a month in South Africa and we noticed some differences between there and Cambodia.

Getting a SIM card as a visitor is almost impossible if you don't get it from an airport. It's an anti-fraud measure and seems ridiculous.
You have to prove residency, so what we ended up doing was getting a friend to buy two new cards. It's no illegal to own multiple SIMs.

You can also buy crossbows, BB guns and stun guns without a license, but heaven help you if you try to buy a TV without a license.

Their internet is shit, they are still trying to come to terms with LTE and its slow and frustrating.

Restaurants and groceries are pretty much in line with Cambodian prices, or even cheaper, but we found accommodation more expensive. Clothing was expensive with disappointing after-Christmas sales. Woolworth wanted $35 for a very simple pair of elasticated shorts with no pockets- just ridiculous.

One amazing thing we noticed was a lack of litter. It's incredible how clean it is, even driving through some very rural areas that used to be filthy was a pleasure. They started charging for plastic shopping bags a few years back - it really seems to have made a difference. Even the center of Durban was cleaner than I've ever seen it.

They had to do a lot of work to prepare for the World Cup and it seems the benefits have been ongoing, it was a pleasure. :)

Plus on a personal note I joined the whole family for what we believe is Mom's last Christmas with us.

It's good to be home though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Comparing Cambodia to South Africa

Post by hanno »

I traveled quite a bit through Safferland the last couple of years and what struck me was that you would pass a village that was spotless and the next village was a garbage dump. Depends very much on the village chief, I guess.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Ah fond memories of Hillbrow :D

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We drove through hillbrow, it's still scary lol

boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Disappointingly few necklacings in the townships around Siem Reap

Murder rate quite low, too.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Yeah I feel a lot safer in Cambodia, that's for sure!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic