Namaste Indian Restaurant (177 Street)

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Namaste Indian Restaurant (177 Street)

Post by hanno »

Namaste Indian Restaurant
177 Street 63 Corner 294 Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 10:00 to 23:00
Tel: 076 626 2783

Food: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Value for money: 5/5
Ambience: 4/5

Having grown up in Mombasa, and attending an Indian school, I absolutely love Indian food and need to eat it at least once a week. Since coming to Phnom Penh, I have probably been to 10 different Indian restaurants, with varied results. I have basically ruled out all Indian restaurants on the Riverside as the food is mediocre at best. A restaurant that has consistently come up as having good food is Namaste, so I finally trekked there a couple of times this month.

The restaurant looks almost elegant and is a far cry from the Riverside establishments with their pictures of Taj Mahal on the walls and Bollywood music on TV. They should look after their menus a little better though; both times I was given a menu that was falling apart. Also got served by the same waiter on both occasions. Whilst he is fast and efficient, he is not exactly the smiley type. Small niggles…

Fix that menu.

The menu is quite large and varied, with many dishes that other Indian restaurants do not have. Starters are from $3.20 to $14.80 (the Tandoori Premium Platter), curries run from $5.20 to $10.80, and breads are around the $3.00 mark. Similar priced to other Indian restaurants, but decidedly better quality.

During my two visits, I had Gosht Sikkampuri ($7.80), Dal Tarka ($5.00), Lamb Bhuna Gosht ($9.80), Mutton Kofta Curry ($9.80), Jeera rice ($2.80), Garlic Naan ($2.80), and Roti ($1.80). This was washed down with Banana Lassi ($3.80) and lime juice ($2.80). All prices are inclusive of tax.

Small thing, but the mint sauce is better than in most restaurants I have been to.

The curries were all excellent. Whilst I was not asked how spicy I wanted the food; the curries came out just right with well-balanced spices and tender meat. The lamb Bhuna Gosht in particular was outstanding. The meat is cooked with green papaya and yogurt and was an absolute delight. I particular liked the Gosht Sikkampuri, something I do not think I have eaten before. Basically, minced mutton balls stuffed with “hung” yoghurt. Unusual, but finger-licking good. The dal curry was also very good, as were the breads. The garlic Naan was one of the best I have had in Phnom Penh and the banana lassi was also right up there.

Lamb Bhuna Gosht, Dal Tarka, Garlic Naan, Roti.

Gosht Sikkampuri.

I dare say that, along with Flavors of India, this is the best Indian restaurant I have found in the city so far. I have no hesitation to recommend Namaste and I will certainly be back. Now, if only the waiter smiled once in a while…..

Priom Fhear
Tourist

Re: Namaste Indian Restaurant (177 Street)

Post by Priom Fhear »

My two go to Indians are Namaste and Sagwat just around the corner on St 288. Sagwat just edges out Namaste imo and is highest rated by the Indian community. Shiva Shakti also excellent but a bit more expensive.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Priom Fhear wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:19 am My two go to Indians are Namaste and Sagwat just around the corner on St 288. Sagwat just edges out Namaste imo and is highest rated by the Indian community. Shiva Shakti also excellent but a bit more expensive.
Thanks, I haven't been to either, will give them a shot.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

The Ghorka Palace on 308 (bassac) is also great.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:46 am The Ghorka Palace on 308 (bassac) is also great.
Agreed, eaten there a couple of times.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Interesting to see-
The Sikkampuri look very similar to what we had in Dhaka, under the catch all name of Kabob, Garur-Mansa, beef kebab. But the meat was generally whatever was in stock, often mutton.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Mouthwatering...I really miss indian food..Italy is probably the country with the lowest number of indian food outlets.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I had last year while i crossed PAK and IND a little overdose an Indian food, but i try anything.
There is an Indian guy selling fake watches on the riverside for ages, and i asked him 2 years ago where he eats if he wants nice Indian food. He pointed me to BJMArestaurant on 154-street more or less in front of OHANA-hotel. It was surprisingly good and cheap. I walked often in front of it without noticing there was a restaurant.
I you have grown up overthere, give it a try, i am curious what your idea is from it !!
Cheers Namaste Sjokaamooi !!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

BJMA is the only Indian restaurant in town that's open 24 hours. Been there a bunch of times. The food is consistently good, reasonable prices and very friendly service.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Havelli

Post by Gazzy »

Havelli has opened on St 278, west of Wat Langka. Very spacious inside, lovely service. Nibbles and ice water given on arrival. Had 4 vegetable samosas, mutton tikka masala (exquisite), mixed veg curry and kasmiri rice and a drink, $19. Ate half and bought the rest home for later. Best curry I've had in a while.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic