Thailand, New Year road deaths surge - over 400 dead.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thailand, New Year road deaths surge - over 400 dead.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BANGKOK: More than 400 people died in road accidents in Thailand over the New Year period, statistics released on Wednesday showed, despite a government road safety campaign in one of the most dangerous countries in the world to drive a car.

The Department of Land Transport said 426 people died in 3,327 accidents between Dec. 29 and Jan. 3, up from 340 in the year-earlier period.

Thailand's road death rate is the highest in the world apart from war-ravaged Libya, according to a 2015 World Health Organization report.

The mounting figures come despite a government campaign to make Thailand's roads safer, including an increase in police presence and public information campaigns.

Laws that mandate the use of seat belts and crash helmets are rarely enforced while drunk driving is common...
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 12412.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand, New Year road deaths surge - over 400 dead.

Post by phuketrichard »

1 crash accounted for 25..( 14 in a van, 11 in pick up) believed the driver of a mini van fell asleep ;-(
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:BANGKOK: More than 400 people died in road accidents in Thailand over the New Year period, statistics released on Wednesday showed, despite a government road safety campaign in one of the most dangerous countries in the world to drive a car.

The Department of Land Transport said 426 people died in 3,327 accidents between Dec. 29 and Jan. 3, up from 340 in the year-earlier period.

Thailand's road death rate is the highest in the world apart from war-ravaged Libya, according to a 2015 World Health Organization report.

The mounting figures come despite a government campaign to make Thailand's roads safer, including an increase in police presence and public information campaigns.

Laws that mandate the use of seat belts and crash helmets are rarely enforced while drunk driving is common...

That is fuking insane! WOW!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:BANGKOK: More than 400 people died in road accidents in Thailand over the New Year period, statistics released on Wednesday showed, despite a government road safety campaign in one of the most dangerous countries in the world to drive a car.

Would be the same in the KoW except for the KoW: having a much smaller population, a lot fewer highways, and much lower car ownership. You do not really think that the Khmer are better drivers?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:1 crash accounted for 25..( 14 in a van, 11 in pick up) believed the driver of a mini van fell asleep ;-(
Full death toll was 426, so that still leaves 401 :cry:

@Hanno. Yes, this is just a clue of whats going to happen here when we have bigger roads and more cars.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Hmm not that I disagree on khmers driving skills but I think that thais have this rare street racing mind set that would still set them apart even if cambodia road conditions and users number were comparable. I have only witnessed the same trait in Italy in the 90s but even there it wasn't as pronounced.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I think that thais have this rare street racing mind set ..."

I can't speak about all Khmer nor even cars but I have seen the same attitude and behavior with teenagers on motos in Kampong Cham. And one day soon they too will be driving cars.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Hanno wrote,

You do not really think that the Khmer are better drivers?

I think they are better moto operators than 95% of barang here. They were birthed on them FFS.
The privileged Lexus, Range, Land, Rover etc. etc. are collectively the biggest fuktards I've ever encountered on any highway.
And that includes Rome Italy & I-95 Miami Dade & Broward Counties Fla.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, it's just Thailand. Collectively, they aren't very clever.

Expats who choose to live there for some strange reason have to experience dumb things every day of every week of every year. Some new guy will complain or express disbelief and the other older and wiser one will sagely reply "TIT".

Friends of mine who still live there will send a link to the latest outrageous story, and expect me to care :D
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Crazy. 71 road deaths a day.

I agree with B-d-s, the Thais are crazy for speed, especially the insane teenaged moto riders, who make up a huge proportion of the fatalities. I stopped riding at night in eastern Pattaya (a.k.a. Dark Side) because of almost getting killed by a teen on a flying moto one night last fall. It was the worst experience of a long list of experiences that will finally play out in only one result: I could see myself being knocked dead all too soon. Doesn't matter how cautious and anticipatory you are, you won't see it coming. Oh, and I recently sold my Thai moto in prep for leaving the kingdom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic