My rant for today - needless money grubbing and lying

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

My rant for today - needless money grubbing and lying

Post by StroppyChops »

Do you ever get to a point where the needless money-grubbing and totally unnecessary lying by retailers just gets under your skin?

I'm trying to buy a specific modem to use as a repeater, and because reasons I just want a duplicate of the original. The original has been superceded, so, okay, the new model. Part of the charm is the ease of setup as a universal repeater with very high security (all of which not needing reconfiguring after each powerout) unlike some of the Huwaii crap on the market which is full of backdoors.

Digi, our provider, have the modem on their webpage, showing it in stock and at a realistic price. Team leader calls them. No hab. Attempts to upsell to much more expensive unit.

I recall seeing the same unit at PTC as I was price-checking earlier in the week, back when electricity. Team leader calls PTC to be told that the unit will be more expensive than on the website, and the free delivery mentioned on the product page will cost x amount.

Today is one of my "bollocks to that" days as I'm suffering from a mild bout of dengue, so it was time to argue.

Okay, they are only small issues - we reached agreement on the price being as advertised, and the free delivery is clearly just false advertising for bait sales. Most other days I wouldn't blink at this low-level dissembling, but with the afore-mentioned dengue, it just gets to me.

There's no hook-line or happy ending. Thanks for reading.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: My rant for today - needless money grubbing and lying

Post by Kayve »

Take care dear.
Don't forget the water buffalo
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kayve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 pmTake care dear.
Thank you dear.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

seems like a bargain, dear

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

walkjivefly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:51 pm seems like a bargain, dear
It would be even better with the advertised free shipping, dear.
Chamboy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chamboy »

Stroppy, you've been living here how many years and just now you've discovered your shit threshold with Khmer business practices? Dengue blessed you with insight.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:19 pm
Team leader calls PTC to be told that the unit will be more expensive than on the website, and the free delivery mentioned on the product page will cost x amount.
Had a similar experience with a well-known pizza delivery order recently. Website price is 'old price', and the 'No Delivery Charge' costs $1 extra. (They lost a long term customer, but not to worry they can afford to lose the odd customer with the prices they're now charging).
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Chamboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 pm Stroppy, you've been living here how many years and just now you've discovered your shit threshold with Khmer business practices? Dengue blessed you with insight.
It's a miracle, dear.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When they start out with a high price, and you have to negotiate, it is such a waste of time. On most occasions I dont negotiate, I just walk away.

There are obviously people paying stupid prices. That is why they do it.

You get to know places where they give you a good price first up. I go back to those places for repeat business.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Chamboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 pm Stroppy, you've been living here how many years and just now you've discovered your shit threshold with Khmer business practices? Dengue blessed you with insight.
I suspect dengue, like other elements of man flu, have temporarily reset his tolerance threshold lower. I imagine normal service will be resumed in the near future.

I on the other hand manage to set my tolerances lower with each negative event, but rarely do they get raised again. It’s gubbinsment and establishment that raise my hackles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic