ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Luigi
Expatriate

ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by Luigi »

Shopping in a local pharmacy in SKV the other day and when I went to check out I presented two $50.00 US notes. Cashier asked if I had Riel because now that was the only currency accepted. She caused surprise. She then suggested I change my US notes for Riel at there most convenient money exchange. Yes Riel is the currency of the country & no you will not find anyone in USA willing to accept Riel. Anyway I just left $87.00 purchase on there counter & proceeded to another pharmacy where they gladly accepted my $, gave change in US $. Also was $7.00 cheaper. Has this happened to anyone else anywhere in Cambo?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by hanno »

Maybe she did not want to accept your counterfeit notes?;-)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the pharmacy owns the money exchange. it is a scam.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

yes, i went to the above mentioned phamarcy to buy a pack of alimony protection kit, she refused to accept USD, there was a prakas from National Bank few back stating that they want all salaries and shops and etc to use only riel, national pride is at stake here. :D, maybe a facebook posting from Mr HE would kick it back into life again, as with every freaking prakas in this country.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''the pharmacy owns the money exchange. it is a scam.'' That's a first for me.

I doubt I am the only one who walks away. It is prolly the most expensive pharma in SKV.
They lost my bidniz for ever. Nice VN girl on side street at Psar Leu treats me well, smiles nicely & gives me decent discount when I spend.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Wait a minute. Let's review. Pharma would make prolly 25-33% on my purchase. How much they make on currency exchange. When barang customer walks what do they make? $00.00.
As a former business owner I think I will go back. And ask about their logic.

Wait. Sorry. Forgot where I am for a moment. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i remember when they first started doing it,
i wanted to buy some tablets, cost 4000r i gave them a dollar, they asked if i had Riel, i said no, they said one moment went off and got my dollar changed for me, came back with 4000r and gave me my tablets, what scam is that?

i dont see the big deal tbh, i support what theyre doing,
im with ABA bank and when i go to ATM i always take out Khmer Riel,
i always use Riel if i can and ask for Riel as change,
it pleases the locals lol

come to think about it, when i last went to that pharmacy the staff had a picture taken with me as i was wearing one of their "Khmer Currency" tshirts 8)

Fuck the USA! :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

It's just the biggest note is 20000, that's a fiver, kind of sucks if you are shopping bulk few times a week at a supermarket.
I just hand them a 50 or hundred. And keep the riel for parking fees.

Of course the gf uses riel when doing her shopping at the local market, where dollars are a no no.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

franzjaeger wrote:It's just the biggest note is 20000, that's a fiver, kind of sucks if you are shopping bulk few times a week at a supermarket.
I just hand them a 50 or hundred. And keep the riel for parking fees.

Of course the gf uses riel when doing her shopping at the local market, where dollars are a no no.
And 20,000 notes are rare at that.

My last shopping bill at Angkor Market was USD 170.00; that would have been a lot of Riel....
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

the current exchange rate $1 = 4039 reil
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic