If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Anything related to making the move... questions about visas, finding jobs, work permits, transportation, infrastructure, etc. Let our experiences help make your experience as painless as possible. Ask us anything!
WildA
Expatriate

If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Postby WildA » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 am

I normally carry a bandana, which serves to shield my large nostrils from dust...and it also serves as a sun hat, snot rag, bandage, sweat mop, gag (for the ladies of course). etc.

Being I am a fat old westerner, am I going to be marked as even a bigger stupid cunt by wearing a krama? Keep in mind that I am not a shorts, flip flops and wife beater wearer, I try to be presentable...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Postby PSD-Kiwi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 am

Nothing wrong with shorts and flip flops (jandals bro), but wearing a krama around your neck will make you look like a hipster, lol, seriously though do whatever makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about what other people think.

Disclaimer: I'm trying to be nice on the Internet, too much negativity around.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: If you are a Fat Annoying Westerner, do you become a Mega Asshole by having or wearing a Krama?

Postby frank lee bent » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

it looks awful but very practical.
wish i still had one
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Postby phuketrichard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 am

tim paige always wears one
I have always not worn one as i feel it makes a Barang look like he is trying to be a local

ON another point, I Have Never understood "snot rags", handkerchiefs. Why someone would wish to blow their nose in a rag and put it in their pocket to save for later is beyond me :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Postby taabarang » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 am

I wear a kroma around my waist to hold small bladed tools when I work in the fields. And no, no local has ever mistaken me for a Cambodian or even trying to be one. They just think that's what you should do.
Berliner expression: Wat ist meins ist meins, wat ist deins ist och meins.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Postby Fourkinnel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 am

They're one step up from fishermans pants. The elephant print design being the hipster version!
cptrelentless
Expatriate

Postby cptrelentless » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:14 am

What about those gut necklace things. I've seen a few white boys wearing those. Don't see the point of the krama but I do rock shorts and sandals. My father-in-law wears a string wifebeater and camo shorts. He is a senior member of the navy.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Postby Username Taken » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:22 am

^^ You mean, a senior member of the senior service.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Postby AE86 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:44 am

I'll be honest, when I see foreigners (or any race) wearing Japanese specific traditional garb, it really bothers me. I couldn't tell you why though.

On the other hand, it also bothers me when Asians try to act "American", that also bothers me. Again, I couldn't tell you why.

That's why I never wear anything that is "Cambodian".
Reckless driving cucumber - 成
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Postby timmydownawell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am

If I had one I'd probably wear it sarong style around the house. Apart from that, nope.