A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Richka189
Tourist

A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Post by Richka189 »

I wouldn't dare to create a duplicate post just to piss people off... but this is quite different.

What I recently did is I bought a plane ticket. So there is no turning back.

I am a non-native speaker of English who is looking forward to get into teaching. I might not have a sound understanding of the English grammar or whatnot but my spoken English is fairly good and I have a proper accent. Now I understand that some of you Americans and British consider teaching as a shitty job, please have in mind that my options are limited and this is probably what I'll be doing for the next few years.

I don't expect much in terms of accommodation standards and pay. Having said that... I'm bringing about 2000$.

Is it possible land a job having a TEFL and no teaching experience? Any other advice?

Cheers
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: A good starting point?

Post by General Mackevili »

Richka189 wrote:
Is it possible land a job having a TEFL and no teaching experience? Any other advice?

Cheers
It's the Kingdom of Wonder. Everything is possible, especially landing teaching jobs.

That said, do you have a degree at all? Where are you from? Gender? Age¿ What do you look like?

Hey, don't blame me for asking these questions, I don't write the rules here, I'm just trying to help you receive the best and most accurate answers that will likely apply to you.

$2,000 is NOT a very big financial cushion and might last you about 2 months at best.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: A good starting point?

Post by General Mackevili »

Oh, and welcome to our forum! :beer1:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Richka189
Tourist

Post by Richka189 »

I have no degrees whatsoever. I'm a 25-year-old male from Lithuania... That is in Europe. I guess I am average looking ( caucasian if that's what matters). I don't drink or smoke, no tattoos.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Richka189 wrote:I have no degrees whatsoever. I'm a 25-year-old male from Lithuania... That is in Europe. I guess I am average looking ( caucasian if that's what matters). I don't drink or smoke, no tattoos.
so that's where 'lithuania' is...I was just about to google it.

actually, I've been to Latvia, your neighbor. just having a bit of fun, welcome to the board.

as for the teaching stuff, I've got no idea, however, I think the General is a good source, someone told me it's his line of work when the army isn't on duty.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Richka189 wrote:I have no degrees whatsoever. I'm a 25-year-old male from Lithuania... That is in Europe. I guess I am average looking ( caucasian if that's what matters). I don't drink or smoke, no tattoos.
Harsh truth;
I'd say ur chances of landing a teaching job that pays enough to live on about 1%
stay home,get some experience
or else u'll be another Barang trying to raise money to get home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

He won't listen, they rarely do! The levels of migration worldwide are probably at their highest ever, and for KH the majority of those thousands(5,7,10??) coming here every year are near destitute foreigners grasping at straws. If you can't make much money back home, don't expect to make much here, esp. with cultural and linguistical differences. Eastern Europeans are also quite shocked by the prices of goods here, and rightly so, even Turkey is cheaper nowadays.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Raybull wrote:He won't listen, they rarely do! The levels of migration worldwide are probably at their highest ever, and for KH the majority of those thousands(??) coming here every year are near destitute foreigners grasping at straws. If you can't make much money back home, don't expect to make much here, esp. with cultural and linguistical differences. Eastern Europeans are also quite shocked by the prices of goods here, and rightly so, even Turkey is cheaper nowadays.

Yea , but who can afford to eat turkey these days.?

Sorry ,
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Duncan wrote:
Raybull wrote:He won't listen, they rarely do! The levels of migration worldwide are probably at their highest ever, and for KH the majority of those thousands(??) coming here every year are near destitute foreigners grasping at straws. If you can't make much money back home, don't expect to make much here, esp. with cultural and linguistical differences. Eastern Europeans are also quite shocked by the prices of goods here, and rightly so, even Turkey is cheaper nowadays.

Yea , but who can afford to eat turkey these days.?

Sorry ,
Haha! Who would want to anyways. Lean dry near tasteless meat. Never understood how N. Americans can eat so much turkey, although I did too as a kid, loved them turkey gravy sandwiches. Guess at 0.99$ a pound it's hard to resist, and the tradition of it all. Give me a bloody duck!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

very few lunches beat
left over Turkey sandwich on rye bread with Stuffing, Mayo, Cranberry sauce, Tomato & lettuce
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic