Setting up Factory in Sihanoukville

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daz1011
Tourist

Setting up Factory in Sihanoukville

Post by daz1011 »

Hi Guys, We are trying to price up setting up a manufacturing factory within Cambodia. Potentially Sihanoukville Economic Free Zone. We are really struggling to get the information we need due to the lack of contacts we have in the country and language barrier, so thought we would give a post here a crack.

What we are looking for is a go to person that speaks the language that has some contacts and can ask some questions and collaborate some info for us. Essentially we are looking at setting up with about 20-30 employees to begin with in various roles relating to metal fabrication right from Factory manager to welders, machine operators, engineer, maintenance person, admin staff, translator, powdercoaters. For now we need some answers on staff availability with the skillsets we require, and salaries including allowances etc, if and permits or licensing is required for a powdercoating operation within the factory?

Any advice, point in the right direction, or even someone that wants to do some freelance work for us doing the ground work calling around and asking the questions would be much appreciated. Even if there is an expat with experience in our field that is looking for a managers job if all this pans out would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Setting up Factory in Sihanoukville

Post by Luigi »

:popcorn:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Luigi wrote: :popcorn:
pass me some popcorns please

OP, From what you say you want I would suggest some out of the box thinking.
I won't explain the whys and hows but my free advice would be to find and bring over a good Chinese fixer. Westerners operating in china do exactly that when setting shop over here.
daz1011
Tourist

Post by daz1011 »

We are not new to manufacturing within Asia, just new to Cambodia and lack the contacts within the country we have elsewhere. We have done our research and will be heading over to network and meet the people we need to next month however thought it was worth a post here before as you never know who is floating around that could offer something helpful....
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

daz1011 wrote: .........We have done our research...
IMHO if you had done your research then you would not be starting a business in the KOW
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is a severe labor shortage in SV
the SEZ is mostly empty because of this
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

This story reminds me of a German guy I met a few years ago in PP. He was in the process of setting up a factory here out by the airport. He had had a factory in Thailand for 5 years manufacturing machinery parts which were then sent to Germany for further assembly with other parts.
The building he had leased in Thailand was being pulled down for redevelopment and because he had to move, he took on two other German investors so they could expand the business, but they wanted to start the new manufacturing in Cambodia, because of lower wages.
After 3 months and spending heaps of dollars in Cambodia he was no further ahead than when he started. Still waiting for info and quotes [ like rubbish disposal, water connection and prices, imports of their old machinery which was in storage in Thailand, ] in writing so he could show his new partners at the next general meeting.
Meanwhile his customers in Germany told him if he cannot start to supply within one month they would find someone else who can. The result being,, cancelling all plans in Cambodia, at a loss of 200 plus jobs, and resetting up in Thailand.
I bumped into him again about six months later as he had to return to cancel the lease on his house, sell the car , dismiss his driver and housekeeper. Also told me it took less than two weeks to set up the new factory with the workers working 24/7 to get it operational, and many of his old workers that worked for him before came back to work in the new factory.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

frank lee bent wrote:there is a severe labor shortage in SV
This is very much so, certainly any sort of skilled labour. Last I saw they were at 40% employment in the SSEZ.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

cptrelentless wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:there is a severe labor shortage in SV
This is very much so, certainly any sort of skilled labour. Last I saw they were at 40% employment in the SSEZ.
This is a big problem for Sihanoukville. The migrants workers from the most populated worker reservoirs provinces (kandal, K cham, Takeo ? ) are unwilling to come and prefer to find jobs in PP as much closer to their village to which they return every weekend and bank holidays.
Nearly all of the province villages youth, unable or unwilling to work in tourism related job has already been hired by existing factories, to the point that finding daily laborers to do some project on a land has become very difficult even when offering substantial wages.

Yet the master plans for the province development call for tripling the actual population in a very short time frame.
With the current Chinese investments boom, it might lead to massive chinese immigration and risky destabilization of the province sociology.
Ras
Tourist

Post by Ras »

Check your PM
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic