Car battery charger?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Car battery charger?

Post by andy1 »

I am after a small battery charger to charge moto battery's in Sianoukville,I have asked in numerous shops including battery selling shops.The reply is always,No have.Anybody got any idea where i can get one?
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Car battery charger?

Post by walkjivefly »

A regular car battery charger will likely destroy a moto battery because the charging current is too high. I had someone bring a motorbike battery charger from the UK. You might be able to get one from Amazon/eBay delivered by Cambo Quick.

Or it might be cheaper to accept the moto battery is a disposable item and just buy a new one every year.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

dont talk crap!
12v is 12v and any battery charger will work fine
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

SinnSisamouth wrote:dont talk crap!
Yeah, whatever you say, genius. Apart from you overlooking the fact that some moto batteries are only 6v, and it's the charging current that is most important. But hey, knock yourself and your battery out.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

most bikes here are now 12volt,maybe some of the old old bikes might be 6 volt but you just link 2 together and charge at 12 volt
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

walkjivefly wrote:
Yeah, whatever you say, genius. Apart from you overlooking the fact that some moto batteries are only 6v, and it's the charging current that is most important. But hey, knock yourself and your battery out.

Show me one (1) operating 6 volt moto in KoW. Just one. Children's toys do not count.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

walkjivefly wrote:
obviously u cant use a 12v charger on 6v battery!
u said a car battery charger will destroy a moto battery

wrong genius

there are no 6v moto anywhere least of all in cambodia ,apart from very early honda supercubs and early vespas

and anyway. u can buy switchable 12v and 6v chargers

genius!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: Car battery charger?

Post by walkjivefly »

Luigi wrote:
walkjivefly wrote:

Show me one (1) operating 6 volt moto in KoW. Just one. Children's toys do not count.
Can't do it, I've never seen one. Doesn't invalidate the point, nor that the charging current is key to not destroying your battery. Charging in series is not a good idea either, despite being something you sometimes see at the battery shops which offer a charging service.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

walkjivefly wrote:A regular car battery charger will likely destroy a moto battery because the charging current is too high. I had someone bring a motorbike battery charger from the UK. You might be able to get one from Amazon/eBay delivered by Cambo Quick.

Or it might be cheaper to accept the moto battery is a disposable item and just buy a new one every year.
I agree, I have never had a charge problem, but I find batteries last on average 2 years. My last moto I bought new 4 years ago and just changed the battery for the second time last week, cost $11. I think you can get cheaper depends on quality.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Most battery chargers are intelligent(at least if bought in the west) they know the difference between an 8 amp battery and a 200 amp battery it is in there DNA so to speak and charging in series does no harm to either battery unless one is fu***d.
So where in Sihanoukville can i buy a battery charger.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic