Do you trust Cambodian banks.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Do you trust Cambodian banks.

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Do you trust Cambodian banks enough to keep thousands in them, or do yountransfer in every month?

Is it case of only keep in bank what you're prepared to lose?

Basically if you have thousands in bank will little fairies make it disappear.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you trust Cambodian banks.

Post by prahkeitouj »

Why not? I trust them. I have many accounts but never keep money in bank.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes. As much as you can trust banks of course. :wink:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm with Cambodian Public Bank, which despite it's name is actually Malaysian. I've got an EU based account too. I don't see what the issue is with trusting Cambodian banks, when was the last time one folded and lost anyone's funds?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Cambodian Publik Bank and Canadia Bank (nothing to do with Canada) have good service. Transfers in and out run swiftly and ATM s are most everywhere. Even withdrew at the ATM in Malaysia.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

OKW wrote:Cambodian Publik Bank and Canadia Bank (nothing to do with Canada) have good service. Transfers in and out run swiftly and ATM s are most everywhere. Even withdrew at the ATM in Malaysia.
Yes, it does. The first shareholders were Khmer-Canadians who started the original Cambodia bank along with other Cambodians.

https://www.canadiabank.com.kh/en/about_canadia.aspx
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Cambodian living in Canada for a long time, started the bank with other Khmers and no more it has to do with Canada. There are no ties to any bank in Canada is what I tried to point out.
ExPenhMan wrote:
OKW wrote:Cambodian Publik Bank and Canadia Bank (nothing to do with Canada) have good service. Transfers in and out run swiftly and ATM s are most everywhere. Even withdrew at the ATM in Malaysia.
Yes, it does. The first shareholders were Khmer-Canadians who started the original Cambodia bank along with other Cambodians.

Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

OKW wrote:Cambodian living in Canada for a long time, started the bank with other Khmers and no more it has to do with Canada. There are no ties to any bank in Canada is what I tried to point out.
ExPenhMan wrote:

The only bank with Canadian ties is ABA Bank, now 90% owned by the National Bank of Canada (after an initial 40% inv. in late 2014 iirc). I believe it's the only bank with a large non Asian shareholder. I draw dividends from them so it pays back the tax paid on my ABA deposits in a convoluted way.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Do you trust Cambodian banks.

Post by General Mackevili »

I've had (probably still "have") both of those banks, and no major complaints.

I personally don't trust them nearly as much as I trust my US banks though.

I also don't think their policies are as good either. I'm protected against unauthorized withdrawals in the US and it's (mostly) FDIC insured, and I doubt banks in Cambodia are anywhere near that safe.

Hell, if someone can half-ass your signature and gets a hold of your "bank book" your money is probable as good as gone.

No way in hell I'd want ALL my money in a Cambodian bank, while I'd have no issues at all dumping it in any random US bank.

In a country rife with land grabbing and corruption, I don't know why anyone would consider it a safe place to keep large amounts of funds, other than, "well, it's been a long time since anything bad has happened."

Has that much changed in 1 year, 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days since this article?

http://phnompenhpost.com/business/bank- ... l-security

"insurance scheme, which means if a bank has a run on deposits or goes belly up, its customers could lose all their savings.

Stephen Higgins, managing partner of Mekong Strategic Partners, says it is time the Kingdom joins the 122 countries that have instituted a mechanism to protect the deposits of bank customers from loss in the event of a bank’s insolvency.
"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Re: RE: Re: Do you trust Cambodian banks.

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

General Mackevili wrote:
I've had (probably still "have") both of those banks, and no major complaints.

I personally don't trust them nearly as much as I trust my US banks though.

I also don't think their policies are as good either. I'm protected against unauthorized withdrawals in the US and it's (mostly) FDIC insured, and I doubt banks in Cambodia are anywhere near that safe.

Hell, if someone can half-ass your signature and gets a hold of your "bank book" your money is probable as good as gone.

No way in hell I'd want ALL my money in a Cambodian bank, while I'd have no issues at all dumping it in any random US bank.

In a country rife with land grabbing and corruption, I don't know why anyone would consider it a safe place to keep large amounts of funds, other than, "well, it's been a long time since anything bad has happened."

Has that much changed in 1 year, 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days since this article?

http://phnompenhpost.com/business/bank- ... l-security

"insurance scheme, which means if a bank has a run on deposits or goes belly up, its customers could lose all their savings.

Stephen Higgins, managing partner of Mekong Strategic Partners, says it is time the Kingdom joins the 122 countries that have instituted a mechanism to protect the deposits of bank customers from loss in the event of a bank’s insolvency.
"
This is the way I think.

Maybe worth the extra in withdrawal fees to stay on the safe side.

I'm probably just imagining things though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic