ultimate frisbee; two Cambodian teams to compete in Bangkok this weekend

Title says it all really...
Flo
Tourist

ultimate frisbee; two Cambodian teams to compete in Bangkok this weekend

Postby Flo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Over the past two years the ultimate has seen rapid growth (the Cambodian members now far outnumber the expat members) and this summer we've finally managed to get some traction with young women and girls (PP post article about that). Apart from it just being great that women are playing sports, it is also needed because all tournaments in the region are co-ed and usually require each team to field a certain number of women.

Anyway, this weekend will see the Mekong Cup. I am very excited; both teams will have fierce opposition, but I think they will do well!
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/sport/camb ... mekong-cup
Anchor Moy
Expatriate

Re: ultimate frisbee; two Cambodian teams to compete in Bangkok this weekend

Postby Anchor Moy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Have been watching the development of frisbee as a sport in Cambodia. It's another one of those great team sports that hardly needs any equipment, so anyone can play it. I really like that. sports-talk/cambodian-frisbee-takes-off-t9573.html

Good luck Team Cambodia ! Let us know how they get on.
John Bingham
Expatriate

Postby John Bingham » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Good luck, I've met this lot and they're a great bunch.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:59 pm

yeah one of my best friends plays frisbee ive played with them all before, ive even got one of their shirts :P
Ter Mtes Aii Na Del Min Chas Hel
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :fuckyou:
Flo
Tourist

Postby Flo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:33 am

thanks for all the love guys! (and Jamie; feel free to join us again; we always welcome whoever wants to join us during our pick-up games)

We did... okay at the tournament. The Pp Post did a nice post-tournament write-up today here:
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/sport/meko ... an-b-final
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate

Postby CEOCambodiaNews » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:59 pm

An unconventional sport finds an unlikely home in Cambodia
Fri, 3 March 2017
Andrew Nachemson

An expat-driven activity, ultimate Frisbee, has made surprising headway among the local population, giving young players the opportunity to travel and to challenge norms.

Three times every week, an eclectic mix of expats, locals and the occasional backpacker meet to participate in ultimate Frisbee – the unconventional but physically demanding sport that is gaining ground in Southeast Asia...

Yoeun is the captain of the Cambodian national team and a board member of the Cambodian Flying Disc Association, which was recently recognised by the sport’s international governing body.
“It’s been one of my biggest gateways to new experiences. I meet a lot of people, a lot of expats. Some are teachers, some work for NGOS. They all share their experiences and their stories with me,” Yoeun said as he watched his teammates play.

“I used to live in a slum. A group of American students came to our town to teach ultimate Frisbee and it completely changed my life,” he said, crediting the sport with teaching him English and inspiring him to improve his life...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... e-cambodia
Cambodia Expats Online helping you stay connected to news and current events in Cambodia and surrounding areas.