Dana White: Conor McGregor will have to give up a title after UFC 205

Title says it all really...
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

This is ridiculous, if he will have to drop one of the belts, he should have been forced to fight Aldo first.

Conor McGregor will have to give up a title, after all. Just not until after UFC 205, according to Dana White.

The UFC president said Tuesday on SportsCenter that McGregor will go into the lightweight title fight with Eddie Alvarez on Nov. 12 as the featherweight champion — with the chance to make history and become the first fighter to hold two UFC belts at the same time. If McGregor wins, though, one of those belts will have to be forfeited.

"He wants to try to gain both belts and he will give up one of the titles after that fight in New York," White said.

Which one? White wasn't telling, replying "good question."

"He's got some stuff going on right now, some personal stuff that I'm sure he'll announce when he's ready," White said. "But this fight made sense."

White announced Monday night on SportsCenter that Alvarez would defend his lightweight belt against McGregor in the main event of UFC 205 on Nov. 12 at the promotion's first-ever card in New York City. McGregor is coming off a majority decision win over Nate Diaz at UFC 202 in August and came away with a banged-up foot.

White said he and McGregor argued about him coming back for UFC 205 due to the injury, but McGregor told him "I know my body better than you do," White said. White was asked what's it like negotiating with a guy like McGregor.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/27/13 ... er-ufc-205
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Dana White: Conor McGregor will have to give up a title after UFC 205

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

its not unusual for fighters to have to relinquish their belts after moving weight and winning another, as with each belt comes "contracts" to fight the mandatory challengers,
even fighters that have multiple belts in the same weight often struggle thats why its rarely seen a fight that manages to successfully unify all belts
and one reason why tyson fury had to give up one of his belts as soon as he won it as he gave vlad the rematch and one of the belts wanted him to face his mandatory challenger instead so stripped him of the belt
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35047606
World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has been stripped of his IBF title less than two weeks after winning it.

The Briton, 27, had to agree to fight the IBF's mandatory challenger Vyacheslav Glazkov but will instead face Wladimir Klitschko in a rematch.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I know that, they changed the rules for this fight. Previous UFC rules stated Connor would have had to drop the featherweight belt before the fight with Alvarez could have taken place.

They changed it so he could claim to be a champion in 2 different weight classes. Now they have backtracked and said should Connor beat Alvarez he has to drop one of the belts, meaning this fight is just about the money and not about expanding or bettering the different divisions. Hence my comment he should have had to fight Aldo first, as Aldo is the interim featherweight champ.

It's time the UFC get back to calling the shots and not let Connor do what ever the fuck he wants. Since winning the featherweight belt from Aldo the division has been at a standstill, hes been featherweight champ for nearly a year (he won it on December 13th 2015) and has not defended the belt once. Not only has he not defended the belt he hasn't even fought at featherweight since becoming the champ.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I know that, they changed the rules for this fight. Previous UFC rules stated Connor would have had to drop the featherweight belt before the fight with Alvarez could have taken place.

They changed it so he could claim to be a champion in 2 different weight classes. Now they have backtracked and said should Connor beat Alvarez he has to drop one of the belts, meaning this fight is just about the money and not about expanding or bettering the different divisions. Hence my comment he should have had to fight Aldo first, as Aldo is the interim featherweight champ.

It's time the UFC get back to calling the shots and not let Connor do what ever the fuck he wants. Since winning the featherweight belt from Aldo the division has been at a standstill, hes been featherweight champ for nearly a year (he won it on December 13th 2015) and has not defended the belt once. Not only has he not defended the belt he hasn't even fought at featherweight since becoming the champ.
yeah fully agree, he should give up the belt if he fails to fight at featherweight anymore, its the same as in boxing, you move up in weight, you give up your previous title, just because you dont have both belts hanging on each arm doesnt dispute the fact you are a multi weight world champion,
i understand why he started fighting other people as he had already beaten the other belt contenders chad, aldo etc
but as i said about tyson fury, its your defenses that make you a great champion not the number of belts
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

UFC 205: Conor McGregor willing to surrender his featherweight title — on one condition

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Conor McGregor is not the Terminator. He can be bargained with, he can be reasoned with, and he will stop before the 145-pound division is dead.

Under one condition.

“Notorious” wants to exit the UFC 205 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, which takes place on Nov. 12, 2016 inside Madison Square Garden in New York City, with two championship title held above his head. Flashbulbs and wanton adulation are encouraged.

McGregor talks to Sports Illustrated:

"Let me see the pictures on publications with a belt on each shoulder first. Let me go onto the side of that Octagon and raise two world titles, what's never been done before, before talking about stripping me. Let me get the f------ things, let me do it. I'll always listen to the correct business move and I'll always do what is the correct move, but let me do it and let me go back and look at some pictures of me with two belts and let me embrace it for half-a-day. Let me look at the historic images we're going to get on this night, me with these two belts. That's what everyone should be excited about, this is history."

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/10/20/1334 ... dition-mma

When will the UFC stop letting this fool call the shots?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Top Possibilities For Conor McGregor's Big UFC 205 Announcement
Matt Connolly , Oct 26, 2016

For weeks, fight fans have been scratching their heads over a big post-fight announcement Conor McGregor has planned for UFC 205...

Full article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattconnoll ... 0fb4462630
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

McGregor vows to end Alvarez's career, Alvarez wants to shut McGregor's mouth

A fired up Conor McGregor has promised to end Eddie Alvarez's career when they fight at UFC 205 in New York next week

The Irishman got colourful with descriptions of how he would demolish Alvarez during a media conference call on Thursday.

McGregor, whose record is 20-3, took joy warning Alvarez how badly he was about to get beaten up.

"Nothing but respect, but this will be it for you," McGregor said. "You're going to be badly, badly hurt Eddie, and I mean that. It's over for you. You will not fight again after this. You'll not look the same. You'll not think the same and that's it.

"I'm going to toy with this man and I'm going really, truly rearrange his facial structure. His wife and kids won't ever recognise him. His friends, the people that he knows will know that he's not the same after this contest. He's going to be in a shock when he sees that.

"I'm going to go out and paint many, many pictures in this contest, put on a showcase, toy with this man and end it all. End his whole career. Retire him. It's over for him. He should be done anyway. He's taken too much damage.

"This will be his last amount of damage that he'll be able to take. You're never, ever, ever going to be the same. Ever again in your life. Your kids after this fight are going to beg you 'daddy, please don't go again'."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... gors-mouth
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:McGregor vows to end Alvarez's career, Alvarez wants to shut McGregor's mouth

A fired up Conor McGregor has promised to end Eddie Alvarez's career when they fight at UFC 205 in New York next week

The Irishman got colourful with descriptions of how he would demolish Alvarez during a media conference call on Thursday.

McGregor, whose record is 20-3, took joy warning Alvarez how badly he was about to get beaten up.

"Nothing but respect, but this will be it for you," McGregor said. "You're going to be badly, badly hurt Eddie, and I mean that. It's over for you. You will not fight again after this. You'll not look the same. You'll not think the same and that's it.

"I'm going to toy with this man and I'm going really, truly rearrange his facial structure. His wife and kids won't ever recognise him. His friends, the people that he knows will know that he's not the same after this contest. He's going to be in a shock when he sees that.

"I'm going to go out and paint many, many pictures in this contest, put on a showcase, toy with this man and end it all. End his whole career. Retire him. It's over for him. He should be done anyway. He's taken too much damage.

"This will be his last amount of damage that he'll be able to take. You're never, ever, ever going to be the same. Ever again in your life. Your kids after this fight are going to beg you 'daddy, please don't go again'."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... gors-mouth
:lol: looking forward to this fight
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I know, it's going to be epic.

I'm rooting for Alvarez, I think he will put Conner in his place.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

UFC star Conor McGregor issues harsh warning

Conor McGregor may be days away from fighting for the UFC lightweight title, but he just recently sent a not so subtle reminder to the featherweight division that he's still the king at 145 pounds.

McGregor conquered former champion Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds when they met last December while staking his claim as the best featherweight fighter in the world.

Of course, McGregor has heard rumors that he'll never be able to cut down to 145 pounds again and that's part of the reason why he's been competing outside the division for all of 2016. He's also received criticism for taking fights at welterweight and now at lightweight rather than coming back to 145 pounds to defend his title for the first time.

McGregor fired back at the featherweights when speaking to FOX Sports on the UFC 205 media conference call recently.

"Wherever I choose to go, I'm prepared to go there. I feel great at this weight. I mean I'm a lot leaner, I'm still eating a hell of a lot of food. Obviously, it's tougher to get to featherweight, but I think it's crazy the way they say I can't get to featherweight no more or all these crazy things," McGregor said.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... rning.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic