Australian Retirees Overseas

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Guess who I'm not voting for.

Australians overseas

From July 2017, people with Australian government HELP debts who are working overseas will be required to make payments on their loans. They will have the same loan repayment obligations as those who reside in Australia, with anyone earning more than the threshold (A$53,345 in 2014–15) being required to contribute a portion of their income to loan repayments.
From January 2016, anyone with a HELP debt leaving Australia for more than six months will be required to register with the ATO, while anyone already overseas will be required to register before July 2017.
The Government plans to save $168.6 million over four years from January 2016 by changing pension eligibility requirements for those living overseas. Australians on some types of pension, including the disability pension and the age pension, will have the rate of their payments cut after being overseas for more than six weeks, down from the previous limit of 26 weeks.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Australian Retirees Overseas

Post by rozzieoz »

They come up with more and more creative ways to fuck Australians every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote:They come up with more and more creative ways to fuck Australians every week.

Not only Australia. Without mentioning Cambodia, All governments seem to go out of their way to make it's citizen's angry and the expect them to vote for them.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

The part about having to pay back loans makes perfect sense.

The reduction in government benefits for those living overseas seems a bit harsh. assuming the recipient worked all their lives to earn those retirement benefits.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rutiger wrote:The part about having to pay back loans makes perfect sense.

The reduction in government benefits for those living overseas seems a bit harsh. assuming the recipient worked all their lives to earn those retirement benefits.

But is a student with a loan that has to be paid back, plus interest, going to tell the gov that they are going o/s for more than 6 months.? More likely , hey I'm going for one month, then they decide to never go back? Even up to recent times, I believe many students got themselves into debt, then declared bankruptcy , which wiped out much of what they owed.
As for those student born o/seas and became oz citizens, got a free education and loan etc, and returned to their country of birth,,, they are required to register before 7/2017,,, Don't make me laugh .
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
From July 2017, people with Australian government HELP debts who are working overseas will be required to make payments on their loans. They will have the same loan repayment obligations as those who reside in Australia, with anyone earning more than the threshold (A$53,345 in 2014–15) being required to contribute a portion of their income to loan repayments.
From January 2016, anyone with a HELP debt leaving Australia for more than six months will be required to register with the ATO, while anyone already overseas will be required to register before July 2017.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Is there a definition of a 'HELP' debt? Is that an acronym for something?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Not necessarily - The Aged pension is government funded

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote:Is there a definition of a 'HELP' debt? Is that an acronym for something?

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyas ... sHECS-HELP
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

I need to tell my friend here, he's been over here for a year and no idea if he's heard about this. He's already having a tough time making ends meet, if they are cutting his pension it'll make it worse. Why the fuck are they screwing around with their pensions?...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ "Why the fuck are they screwing around with their pensions?..."

I imagine that the Treasurer is jealous of all these guys retiring to the tropics, spending their days drinking 50 cent beers, and shagging girls with the body of a Playboy magazine centerfold.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic