AUS Racehorses now sold for Human Consumption

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

AUS Racehorses now sold for Human Consumption

Post by Mishmash »

Queensland state authorities are investigating the shocking slaughter of some 500 retired racehorses a month at an abattoir where the creatures are allegedly tortured before they’re turned into meat for animals and humans.

While slaughtering racehorses is not illegal in the state of Queensland, it is in New South Wales, and the ABC report revealed some horses were illicitly transported across state lines to be butchered instead of rehomed in accordance with state law.

The horses’ identities were traced using their branding and microchips, and cross-referencing with race records revealed they had won a total of $5 million in prize money for their owners before they were sent to the slaughterhouse.

The meat is shipped to Europe and Asia for human consumption and processed into animal food - some of which is fed, ironically, to racing greyhounds. The meat is also supplied to kennels and pet shops.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: AUS Racehorses now sold for Human Consumption

Post by Duncan »

I am damn sure I have seen that video on tv before, maybe a few years ago.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 pm I am damn sure I have seen that video on tv before, maybe a few years ago.
Neighhhhh? Really. This was plucked from RT today.

There's a fuck of a lot of scandals over the food chain.

Pretty sure horse meat was being sold in UK supermarkets not so long ago to unsuspecting punters, masquerading as shepherd's pie or some such thing.

Replacing shepherds with horses was poor marketing in my opinion.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:34 pm
Duncan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 pm I am damn sure I have seen that video on tv before, maybe a few years ago.
Neighhhhh? Really. This was plucked from RT today.

There's a fuck of a lot of scandals over the food chain.

Pretty sure horse meat was being sold in UK supermarkets not so long ago to unsuspecting punters, masquerading as shepherd's pie or some such thing.

Replacing shepherds with horses was poor marketing in my opinion.

http://www.australianhorserescue.com/news/

Horse Slaughter in Australia ~ Horse Meat, Abattoirs, Knackeries, Wastage and Related Issues
Australian Government figures state that 30,000 – 40,000 horses are slaughtered each year in Australia. On this page you will find an overview of horse slaughter in Australia, including links to sources of more information. Please be aware that the nature of the information on this page is such that it may be distressing for some.

It is estimated that between 2.5% and 3.33% of the Australian horse population is slaughtered annually
It is estimated that between 2.5% and 3.33% of the Australian horse population is slaughtered annually

In Brief:

Australian horse slaughter is a multi-million dollar industry, composed of the following:

Two abattoirs that slaughter an estimated 700 horses a month between them (which equals 8,400 in a calendar year). The meat is exported for human consumption in a number of countries, including Russia, France, Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Singapore and Japan.
Thirty three knackeries that slaughter somewhere in the range of 22,000 – 32,000 horses a year for pet food, meat meal, tallow, hair, hides and other products. Some of these are sold domestically and some are exported.
One butcher in WA was granted a special license in July 2010 to sell horse meat for human consumption within Australia by the Western Australian state Minister for Agriculture and Food, Terry Redman of the National Party. The butcher has stated in the media that he slaughters 20 horses a year, and is currently selling the meat to other states and territories of Australia.
It is estimated that there are around 1.2 million horses in Australia. 30,000 – 40,000 horses thereby makes up an estimated 2.5 – 3.33% of the Australian horse population slaughtered annually.

Latest News and Current Issues

Horse meat for human consumption in Australia was approved by the current WA state government (Liberal/National Coalition) ~ The Western Australian state election (March 9th, 2013) held the most likely chance of the special license to a single butcher being overturned, however there was not a change of government. (Members of the opposition, the ALP, were present at a protest held in 2010, you can read about it here in our archives)
There is speculation that the horse meat scandal in Europe may affect Australian horse meat exports. Article published in the Courier Mail Feb 2013: “Australian slaughterhouses face uncertain future if European horse meat scandal reins in exports” *warning contains details of horse slaughter that some may find distressing*
Conditions at an Australian knackery: Dec 2012 ~ Animals Australia page “Help stop horse abuse at Laverton Knackery” ** warning contains graphic details** Link to newspaper article.
RSPCA has recently renewed calls for CCTV in all abattoirs (for all types of animals slaughtered) – Link to RSPCA Australia media release
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

@Duncan

Thanks.

I knew likely pet food and the hides recycled but now I know people eat it and it's not just some fake news.

Which reminds me - I'm due for a burger soon.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Horse steak with brandy flambe is delicious.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm Horse steak with brandy flambe is delicious.
Gotta be better than the "Khmer Chicken Leg" - feels like I'm gnawing on fucking plywood. More muscle than bloody Schwarzenegger
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

As long as Racehorses' meat won't give your the runs...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm As long as Racehorses' meat won't give your the runs...
The odds are, it will.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm As long as Racehorses' meat won't give your the runs...
The odds are, it will.
That's the mane thing. I complained that eating it gave me a sore throat but it turned out I was just a little horse. I left in a stable condition.

Turns out that I confused the fucking bar code for zebra meat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic