Notorious Pedophile Tony Munro Living in Siem Reap Arrested in Australia Linked to Missing Beaumont Children in Adelaide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Notorious Pedophile Tony Munro Living in Siem Reap Arrested in Australia Linked to Missing Beaumont Children in Adelaide

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Siem Reap: 71 year old convicted pedophile (who has since been identified as Tony Munro/Anthony Munro) from Adelaide has been arrested upon returning to Australia for crimes against children as far back as 1962.

He seems to have been a person of interest in the disappearance of 3 children, Arnna, Jane and Grant Beaumont from Glenelg Beach in January of 1966.

The man arrested last month has not been named in the media, but has been charged with 3 counts of buggery, 2 counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and 7 counts of indecent assault.

He was in Adelaide in 1966 when the 3 children went missing and was also a person of interest in that unsolved case, but there is no evidence to suggest he was involved in that particular case.

It sounds like his name is being withheld because there is an ongoing SAPOL (South Australia Police) investigation. Not only for the recent charges and the missing children, but also an investigation into a pedophile ring.

According to CEO's source, "Mr X" has been living in Siem Reap for many years and runs a well-known bar. He left Cambodia to go back to Adelaide for tax reasons in June and was arrested at the airport for the child sex charges when he arrived in Australia.

His court case over the recent charges has been set for October and he is currently out on bail.

Here are some related links that are interesting to anyone looking into this story. They explain that Mr X was a successful businessman back in Australia, then fled to South East Asia and has been living in Cambodia and Burma, financing orphanages.

Several people have been following Mr X's tracks in Siem Reap and are not surprised by his recent arrest. There are also some accusations out there by individuals who suggest Mr X is being protected by SAPOL, but those seem to be unfounded.

More information will undoubtedly come out in the near future.

An article in the Phnom Penh Post back in 2014 by Peter Olszewski shedding some light on Mr X in Siem Reap:

INFAMOUS PAEDOPHILE MYSTERY COMES TO TOWN

Does the answer to Australia’s most famous unsolved crime mystery, the missing Beaumont children, lurk in Siem Reap’s dark corners? A growing number of concerned people – some may say conspiracy theorists – seem to think so...

http://phnompenhpost.com/siem-reap-insi ... nuary-2014

From the Daily News last month:

Man, 71, arrested for child sex offences against several victims is a 'person of interest in the case of the missing Beaumont children'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ldren.html

From local Australian news:

A 71-year-old Adelaide man has been charged with child sex offences dating back more than 50 years.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/0 ... x-offences

An article from 2015 which talks about Mr X being followed in South East Asia, but doesn't specifically mention Cambodia. It also talks about Allan Maxwell McIntyre, another important person regarding Mr X:

VIGILANTE paedophile hunters are tracking the movements of a former Adelaide businessman and convicted paedophile in South-East Asia in a bid to solve a child abduction case there.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 58d741e7a2

Allegedly an old picture of Mr X:

And a video of the news clip talking about his recent arrest and showing his court appearance:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Notorious Pedophile "Mr X" Living in Cambodia Arrested in Australia Linked to 3 Missing Children in Aidele in 1966

Post by Digg3r »

This was on the news this evening. It didn't stifle my attention as they never mentioned Cambodia so it was basically background noise.

His name will be suppressed until he enters a plea as is the law in South Australia for those charged with sex offences.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Notorious Pedophile "Mr X" Living in Cambodia Arrested in Australia Linked to 3 Missing Children in Aidele i

Post by General Mackevili »

Digg3r wrote:
His name will be suppressed until he enters a plea as is the law in South Australia for those charged with sex offences.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I guess it's similar in the US when they have gag orders for various reasons during investigations.

Looks like we might have to wait until October to hear much more.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
DonaldTrumpsWig
Tourist

Re: Notorious Pedophile Mr X Living in Siem Reap Arrested in Australia Linked to Missing Beaumont Children in Adelaide,

Post by DonaldTrumpsWig »

Tony Munro, owner of The Station Wine Bar in Siem Reap.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Notorious Pedophile Mr X Living in Siem Reap Arrested in Australia Linked to Missing Beaumont Children in Adelaide,

Post by John Bingham »

A good bit of investigation by CEO news there, well done. I hope the perp rots in hell, or at least rots in prison here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

So, it's all adding up and seeming very credible.

The Beaumont Children Disappearance is one of Australia's most notorious cold cases, and it's remained an unsolved mystery for over 50 years now.

It looks like the courts are getting very close to getting to the bottom of it, and the arrest of this former Scout Leader who is a suspect, or person of interest at that very least, is going to be big news.

If I had to summarize...

This "Mr X" has a friend, let's call him "Mr Y."

Mr Y has a daughter who was 10 years old at the time of the Beaumont Children Disappearance.

She is now an adult, and sometime in her adult life she and her siblings (a brother and sister) remembered (maybe "remembered" isn't the best word, as they seemed to have known about it their whole lives, but blocked it out in later years) what happened on that day in 1966.

Her sister decided that the 3 of them should wait until their father (Mr Y) died and then go to the police and tell them what they remembered as kids from that day.

They first assumed that Mr X was just dragged into and they wanted his help to go to the police and turn in their father, but somehow realized that they both had a lot to do with it.

Her sister died, and at that point her and her brother decided they would go public before the death of their father.

Neither Mr X nor Mr Y wanted this, but they decided to do it anyways.

In 2006 they made statements to police, but they didn't seem very interested and hardly followed up on any of it with them.

In 2007 she was interviewed for that tv show Crime Investigation Australia but only sniplets of their interviews aired.

In 2008 Mr Y tried to get a legal gag order on her brother, but he beat it in court.

Since then, she has been very verbal with her story, but has been very careful to not use her name or her father's name, as he denies it all and has threatened to sue her for defamation if she identifies him (Mr Y).

She's been working very hard to get the authorities to take her seriously, and in recent years they have made a lot of progress, including tracking down Mr X to South East Asia, and most recently in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

The man arrested is clearly the same man who she has been calling "Mr X," and she even said back in 2013 that he was a former Scout Leader.

I will highlight some of the really interesting things she's claimed online over the years:

This is what she wrote in 2013:

"...There were at least 7 men present that day as well as a man and blond woman in a car that drove past slowly, and they saw everything. Myself and older sister and brother were there also. Two of the men we can positively identify are our father and our family friend. My father consistently blamed the family friend for their deaths.
In 1966 the family friend was 20 years old and lived at the Sturt Street end of Tod Street Glenelg. He’d regularly go diving and spearfishing with our father and others. He had friends involved a theatre group and worked as an on road rep. for Lever and Kitchen. He later became a Scout Leader and went on to be a multi millionaire, as an Importer and employer in the Hospitality Industry. My father had worked at the Telephone Exchange on Jetty Road, but did not go to work on the day in question. He was then 6′ and aged 37 and a 1/2 . As a child I’d been fond of our ‘family friend’. I wrote to him in 2006/07 begging him to come forward, clear his name and to help us resolve this dreadful matter. Due to his age at the time (when 21 was considered an adult) I thought he’d just been dragged into this mess by the other older men and blamed by my father as the scapegoat. The family friend’s response was to sell up his assets and shoot through overseas where he’s remained since. Since then others have named themselves as victims of his (all males). These offences spanned over decades. I’ve been told he has a past conviction for one incident with a child. Had Mr. Mullins allowed me to speak (not screamed at me instead) I could have asked him to check if Warren recognised ‘the family friend’ or any other names in connection to his life and living in Glenelg in 1966 etc.. Paedophiles ‘networked’ back in the 60s much the same as they do now. I know my father was one, and so were a number of his associates. Not every paedophile is capable of murder though. Then there’s the body disposals…

...Our father never acted alone, there were always others about. Everyone present that day were accomplices, regardless to whether they were responsible for the children’s deaths. I know that our father has since named ‘the family friend’ to Police in interviews and also in a letter sent to Major Crime. Every time I hear that ‘the family friend’ intends to fly into Adelaide on business, I’ve informed Major Crime in order they will interview him. As far as I know they’ve never followed up. Sometimes it seems like they’re just waiting for everyone involved to die.
I admire the brothers that recently spoke up about the hole they dug at Castaloys all those decades ago. It defies logic that Police refuse to act in response. It has me wonder whether they fear finding bodies that are the wrong ones...

...Our sister was also a witness the day our father had these 3 children in his car boot. She went with the others for the disposal. She was forced into the car. She was also an abuse victim. When I remembered everything in mid 2006, I thought I would die…I didn’t… my sister did. She couldn’t risk the judgement of others. She was a teacher. It’s often the judgements of others that renders people silent...

Then in 2015 she talks about the vigilantes hunting Mr X down in South East Asia:

"There has been progress…See ‘The Adelaide Advertiser’ 20/5/15 reported by Bryan Littlely “Vigilantes hunt convicted paedophile in South-East Asia to quiz him over the missing Beaumont children”...

...Investigative Journalist Bryan Littlely has been busy with a followed up article via National newspapers / published 3/7/15 …
“S.A. paedophile found running Asian orphanage”. This is Mr. X.
Thus it’s now been narrowed down to these two, my father and Mr. X as to who was responsible for these children’s deaths, but they’re still deciding which one’s taking full blame. Meanwhile they can name the other 5 men present, as well as the couple that drove past. They might want to blame them instead. My brother, sister and I were there also, and that rounds it up to 10. I expect there’ll be more to come as we inch our way forward.
Sorry…I don’t know how to put up the links!..

...There are some things I can tell you Robert, but obviously, as the case is under investigation, there’ll be some limits to what I can say....

...At the time of writing, I believed Mr. X , then age 20 in 1966, had been innocently drawn into the days events by my father and the older men present.

I didn’t know then that he’d been convicted as a pedophile or that he’d racked up several other victims over the decades since. The interview with my father was sought independently by Journalist Bryan Littlely. I’m not a clairvoyant. How could I know that my father would ultimately blame Mr. X, unless my memory of what I saw and what I hear was correct....

...My father was a scuba diver, and always in the sea and at the beach, including lunch breaks while working at the Telephone Exchange/Jetty Road. His hair wasn’t so much long (surfie type), but a mop of hair, thick, brown, with a heavy fringe. His hair lightened in summer months due to the bleaching effects of sun and salt water.

As his fringe had a natural tendency to fall forward, it makes sense for a heavy fringe to be swept back when wet. I have photos, same time frame, that will support this. Also photo of him at the beach, bare chest, same trousers, belt…and dressed the same as when he left our house mid-morning for the beach that day.

We were outside, the phone rang, he went inside to answer it, came out (trousers, belt, towel). A black car comes up the drive to collect him. I ask him where he’s going. He says he’s going to the beach, and for us to wait there till he gets back. I ask if we can come. He says no, he might take us to the beach later. So my father is correct (re-article 20/5/15), he didn’t have his car that morning.

Mr. X had come earlier in his yellow station wagon. He and 3 lads (one a neighbor) were heading to Glenelg to dive for coins off the Jetty. The night before, my brother had arranged to go with them, but our father suddenly changed his mind and stopped him going. Mr. X leaves without my brother.

I’m in the house. I hear a car door slam. My father returns approx. 2 pm. He walks in the front door. He’s covered in blood and sand. He heads up to the shower. He’s now wearing a T-shirt. (not bare chest). It was a distinctive T-shirt. I’d only ever seen Mr. X wear that particular T-shirt.

He comes down from the shower, and his mood is euphoric and talking fast. Tells me he’s a hero, he’s very important, he rescued 3 sweet children, played with them. He said they were perfect children. A long conversation ensues. He says the boy had been injured, had a broken leg. I say, “Is that where all the blood came from”. His mood changes, he gets cross.

He says he left them at the bus stop alive (he repeated it). It was an odd thing to say. I’d earlier question him on how the boy could catch the bus with a broken leg.

Mr. X arrives. The screen door’s latched. My brother let him in. There’s a conversation and it moves on from there, but there’s too many details to repeat, and not appropriate to do here. It’s too hostile here! A lot happens in between, but the children are brought back in the boot around 4pm.

There’s now other men. 3 in the car, 2 up the end of the street, a man and a woman drive past slowly. We spend what seems a long time at the open boot and going over what we’re shown/conversations, all of which is documented, taped etc. and also with police. The boat’s hooked up to the back of the car. My sister is forced into the car.

You/others had previously speculated the possible involvement of 2 men.
Mr. X was age 20, not tall, spindly build and blonde, lived at Tod Street Glenelg with his Mother and sister.

As I didn’t see who killed the children, I have to rely on what I witnessed. That my father said he left them at the bus stop alive is inconsistent with his arrival home at 2 pm. covered in blood and sand. That he left bare chested but wore a T-shirt belonging to Mr. X on his return suggests they’ve interacted at some point I’d think.

I know the children were moved from the original disposal site a couple of weeks later (because my father told me).

It wasn’t the first time we’d seen our father handling cadavers though. It had happened before, but without all the fuss (this was different). Though he’s had decades to move any remains from the backyard, some might prove too difficult. Thus every tree, every bit of concrete will need to be ripped up.

We don’t believe these 3 children were incinerated at the Edwardstown property as he/the article states. We’ve informed Police where they’ll most likely find them. They’ve known for a long time.

I have my Mother’s case notes, autopsy report etc…No sign of trauma etc. to suggest rape, no breaks or bruising to suggest an attack. Cause of death said to be ‘natural causes’ age 34 (a ‘rape’ on it’s own, won’t kill either).

I have many records, photos etc., and these will support what we claim happened. That’s just a quick roundup in what turned out to be a very long and harrowing day for us. I’m very sorry this happened to them, but it wasn’t anything my brother, sister or I did. Two of us are alive to say what happened on behalf of the children though....
"

And then most recently in January of 2016:

"...On Channel 7’s “Today Tonight Adelaide – Official Site” readers can view “Finding the Beaumonts Parts 1…2…3 and 4” (broadcast 25/1/16). What makes this program unique is the interviews conducted with a number of retired Detectives / Police Officers attached to, or knowledgeable in the Beaumont case. I’ve likely misjudged some past Police for not doing more at the time, but this program gives helpful insight to the difficulties some faced. What they collectively say is very interesting and I think it’s well worth viewing (& surprisingly, not the least bit exploitative)..."

So now the man she's been calling Mr X has been arrested to face "historical child sex charges" and will appear in court again in October, when hopefully this will all be more clear.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Yeah he should absolutely rot in hell if there is proof of these wrongdoings, preferring more than just witness accounts and statements, but real actual evidence like the French provided in the family axe murdering case recently.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

This was HUGE news when I was just a kid.

I wonder how he managed to sleep for all these years.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a pretty compelling argument for capital punishment
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

This may come as a shock, but he's supposedly really good friends with this guy: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/newswor ... t7494.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic