Favourite Bangkok Hotels

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Favourite Bangkok Hotels

Post by sigmoid »

What's your favourite base of operations when 'doing business' in Bongcock?

Mostly thinking in terms of comfort, convenience, lack of hassles, etc, but would be lying if I said that money is no object. Strong and reliable wi-fi essential.

Any info much appreciated. :hattip:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Favourite Bangkok Hotels

Post by franzjaeger »

Sofitel at Lumpini is pretty nice. If more conservative there is Marriot on Sukhumvit with great views, or centrally there is a hotel on top of Central World.

List goes on though.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Never tried peninsula nor the most expensive ones in town but the if I am not on a budget my all time favorite to which i keep coming back is the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
Swimming pool and spa, service, breakfast, ease of access, business center, room comfort etc, are all top notch.
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

I usually stay at Dream Hotel on Soi 15 because I'm familiar with it. Plus, they have really good breakfast.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Grand Dynasty hotel right off soi 4,
great for everything
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

For over 35 years I've stayed at the Grace Hotel. Yes, its full of A-rabs, but it has great security, good prices, a pool almost no one uses, is convenient to the area/skytrain, and used to have a killer world wide known "coffee shop" that is now actually a coffee shop. Its also across the street from the number one hospital in almost all of Southeast Asia. The Dynasty used to be good, but in my opinion over the years has kind of gone downhill. (I also stayed there when they first opened.) The Grace isn't for everyone, but its been a good starting and ending place for me in over 35 years. (When I brought my family over for my wedding almost 20 years ago, the manager met us at the airport, walked our passports though the officials and personally drove us to the hotel.)

When in Pattaya I recommend the Sabai Lodge on Soi 2.(quiet soi) It has 4 swimming pools, is a block from the Big C mail/McDs/the beach/Gullivar's, and is relatively cheap (for a decent hotel in Pattaya.)(its a short ride to the infamous Soi 6) Its also a block from the second road and the other way, the beach road for Baht buss's. The superior B rooms on the 2nd floor are my favorite as they are near the Dolphin pool.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Back in the days, i always stayed at the crown... rates were 350/night back in 83 than last time i stayed there they were 1,000 in 2005
now stay with my friend at the Omni on soi 4 which is a good option if u want a kitchen and separate bedroom
NEVER stayed at the grace, tried it once bu the room stank

The regular dynasty is OK but the grande dynasty up the road is very nice
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Maxim Inn Hotel Soi 7/1 for between 1000/1200 baht per night depending on room, can negotiate a lower price for longer stays.
1 minute walk to sky train, less than 10 to Nana plaza & very close to the free lance beer garden on Soi 7, depends on what kind of business you would like to conduct in bongcock! Banks are also just a short walk.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I stayed at the Crown once back in the early 80's (on the advice of a friend.) If I remember right it was cheap, but large rooms and a green unattended pool in the middle. I always loved the pool at the Grace as the A-rabs didn't seem to like to swim, you could get drinks delivered and you had a ringside seat to the goings on in front of the hotel and on the street. It was refreshing after trudging around town fighting the traffic to look at the sights. The "coffee shop" was always fun also.

Yes, the older/cheapest rooms at the Grace (in the main building) even in years past were a little worn and sometimes didn't smell great, but I tried to avoid them and most always got a room in the building to the right of the main/oldest building. I usually started my trips at the Grace and ended there as access from the airport to the hotel was great. Every airport(old airport) cab, both legal and illegal knew where the Grace was at, and I could book a limo from the hotel to take me to the airport. In between I stayed at places like the original Dynasty and ones like it as at that time they were cheaper.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

never been a pool at the Crown. best part was the mirrors on the ceilings. we used to take over half the 6th floor and the aroma was fantastic :-)

The old Chinese family sold out a few years ago so have no idea if they ever upgraded the place
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic