Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

Post by Inshadesofblue »

Hi guys,

I would like to know your perspective on naming our hotel 1984. (Yea, I have read the book - about 4 times)

- 1984 - I know some people have wide reservations about this name, but hear me out . some others have mentioned the possibility of making the rooms after Jan, Feb etc (I hate room numbers as well)- and theming them after events of that month. Plus naming the lounge 1985, and VIP area 1986. There is just a sense of familiarity and intrigue with that year (also thanks to the book)- though i understand the negative connotation attached - but quite a few people said it might be cool.

Instead of being scared of the whole big brother connotation, we could embrace it in the lobby design theme etc.

INTERESTINGLY,
*****Also there are no hotels in the city which are basically numbers and dates *****

So, Alternatively, IS THERE A SUPER SIGNIFICANT/DATE/YEAR/NUMBER YOU CAN THINK OF?

Thanks guys

IMPORTANT
Plus don't be rude. I am just looking for constructive feedback. :)

REWARD
The best explanation for/against 1984 or the suggestion of a new name would get a free 2nights stay with us, once we get going in July.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Inshadesofblue wrote: - but quite a few people said it might be cool.
So a FEW people said it MIGHT be cool?
Inshadesofblue wrote:

INTERESTINGLY,
*****Also there are no hotels in the city which are basically numbers and dates *****
Or any city in he world!

:fool:
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

There's probably dozens of Makara 7 (January 7) hotels.

Odd choice. Ministry of Love style windowless rooms, brutalist concrete bed and fixtures? Sounds delightful. Just don't have a Room 101.

Are you taking over the new ministry of environment building? That looks like Orwellian architecture if I've ever seen it.
Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

Post by Inshadesofblue »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
Inshadesofblue wrote: - but quite a few people said it might be cool.
So a FEW people said it MIGHT be cool?
Inshadesofblue wrote:

INTERESTINGLY,
Or any city in he world!

:fool:
There is no need to be rude.

Comments like yours are the reason why people abandon some forums.

Just give constructive feedback instead of juvenile sarcasm and corny one-liners

And there are countless hotels in the world which are basically just numbers. Google is your friend

Sent from my LG-F350L using Tapatalk
Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Post by Inshadesofblue »

epidemiks wrote:There's probably dozens of Makara 7 (January 7) hotels.

Odd choice. Ministry of Love style windowless rooms, brutalist concrete bed and fixtures? Sounds delightful. Just don't have a Room 101.

Are you taking over the new ministry of environment building? That looks like Orwellian architecture if I've ever seen it.
Yea, no room 101. Actually, am gonna do away with room numbers altogether. I never remember mine when I stay in hotels.

I haven't seen that building but I will take a look

Basically, we can also do a celebration of all events for 1984 (the positive ones) plus the music (as it was a big year for music)

Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Post by Inshadesofblue »

Yea, no room 101. Actually, am gonna do away with room numbers altogether. I never remember mine when I stay in hotels.

MAYBE JUST THE LOBBY WILL BE 1984(book) THEMED. Not the rooms

Basically, we can also do a celebration of all events for 1984 (the positive ones) plus the MUSIC (as it was a big year for music)

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im not sure how many people would understand it all, i for one havent read the book

1408.... now that was a good movie! and a headfuck!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Post by Inshadesofblue »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:im not sure how many people would understand it all, i for one havent read the book

1408.... now that was a good movie! and a headfuck!
Perfect. So, I also wanna know from people who have no idea about the book. So, to a person who doesn't know about the book, how does the name sound?

Only the lobby might have 1984 theme, rest of the hotel will just focus on subtle artwork marking the events of year 1984 . The book is just an undercurrent and a familiar name - which might grab some book readers' attention

And 1408 was a mindfuck indeed.

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

Post by epidemiks »

Inshadesofblue wrote:

Basically, we can also do a celebration of all events for 1984 (the positive ones) plus the MUSIC (as it was a big year for music)

It's certainly an interesting concept, but not sure how it'd go. The picture in my head of a 1984 themed lobby doesn't look very inviting!

Your bar will obviously have to be stocked exclusively with Victory gin. Maybe get some cleanskins from the Samai gin blokes in Tonle Bassac and make it fancy.
Inshadesofblue
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need help in naming a hotel (REWARD)

Post by Inshadesofblue »

epidemiks wrote:
Inshadesofblue wrote:

It's certainly an interesting concept, but not sure how it'd go. The picture in my head of a 1984 themed lobby doesn't look very inviting!

Your bar will obviously have to be stocked exclusively with Victory gin. Maybe get some cleanskins from the Samai gin blokes in Tonle Bassac and make it fancy.
The lobby will be a fine line but I an speaking to a talented interior designer who might take on the challenge (and am sure can pull it off, based on her designs) but that's my second problem

#1 problem is the name. Haha.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic